Scubatoy's "Zeagle Brigade"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Furner

Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like a cool BC, but I am not sure how much lift I will require. I like that it will pack down smaller than a Ranger, but has all the features of a Ranger. Is 34# of lift enough for a single AL80 tank setup with ~20 of weights? Or would buying the Ranger, and then buy a Zeagle Escape bladder to use for traveling be a better solution?

Your input is appreciated.

Well do the math. I assume you are strapping on 20lbs to make you neutral with an empty BC and 500psi in your tank. So when the BC is full you will be able to lift around 34lbs of additional stuff. That would be stuff you acquired "during the dive" like pretty rocks or gold dubloons, not the ballast you started with.

Brain fart. I was thinking lifting the tank and weights hsould be taken out of the lift capacity. 34# would be fine then. Lets extend the question. Would it be possible to buy a seperate ranger bladder and put that on? If so, could I buy the new Ranger LTD and put a escape bladder on it, so that I would have all the cool new toys of the LTD, but also have a smaller bladder for travel? It looks like thats what scubatoys is doing with the Brigade.

My Ranger has 44 lbs of lift and I don't think I have ever used more than half of the capacity. On my first dive I had nearly 10 lbs too much lead (the dive shop guy must have been guessing on Salt water, instead of fresh, and a thicker wetsuit) and the BC did not care. It was not until we did the buoyancy drills that we concluded that I could lose the weight.

About the only time, I can think of, that the full 44 lbs would be necessary is retriving something seriously heavy.

scubatoad:
My Ranger has 44 lbs of lift and I don't think I have ever used more than half of the capacity. On my first dive I had nearly 10 lbs too much lead (the dive shop guy must have been guessing on Salt water, instead of fresh, and a thicker wetsuit) and the BC did not care. It was not until we did the buoyancy drills that we concluded that I could lose the weight.

About the only time, I can think of, that the full 44 lbs would be necessary is retriving something seriously heavy.
You could, but almost certainly shouldn't attempt a retrieval of anything significant using your BC to provide the lift. That's what lift bags are for.

However, after finding a weight belt with 14# while diving a reef in Florida, I put it on and finished the dive overweighted (all my own weight (10#) was in the Ranger's integrated weight pockets).

-Rob

What's all of the cool stuff that an LTD has that you think you need? Anything you add, like a back pad, is going to be extra weight when you exit the water soaking wet. The one Zeagle model that I think should sell better than it does is the Concept II. It has the same lift bag as a Ranger (44 lbs-way more than enough), the zip cord system, and is modular enough to mix and match different wings and harness sizes. They also ebay for about half of what the Rangers do. From what I can see, the different wings will interchange, not including the wing styles Zeagle makes for back plate usage. One thing to consider with any of them is how much weight they will hold. This is a factor if you will ever use something like a neoprene dry suit, which may require 40+ lbs of weight.

You can change the bladder on the Ranger or the Brigade, takes about ten minutes.
I do have to question why you want the LTD. I was in the same boat as you and bought the Brigade.
Unless you are diving with way too much equipment, I don't think you need the extra d-rings. As for the padding, personally you don't need it. If you want it you can order it seperate, I think around $25. The zipper under the wing on the Ranger, most people that I have talked to said they didn't use it. Believe me you have a lot of room to stow stuff without the extras.
Speaking as a Brigade owner, BUY THE BRIGADE!! Either way you can't go wrong.

I looked at the LTD and just didn't see enough difference to choose it over the Brigade. Four extra D rings don't excite me. I guess the lumbar pad *might* be nice if you had to hike to the water with doubles on. I'm going to use a wheeled conveyance or manservants if I get in that situation.

I use the Concept II Pro which is a little more streamlined that the Ranger and bought the Escape badder that I switch out for travel. It works very well. Go for the Zeagle Brigade it looks great.

I think the Zeagle Brigade is the way to go for me. Ive got enough money and income to afford all my gear now, and once i get situated with a job at the new unversity this fall, Ill get myself a BP/W hog setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom