SDI o/w cert and use of computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve02

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Long story short, my pool and classroom work were completed with SSI, however the LDS that did the O/W check-out dives cerified me in SDI (still not sure why).

I understand that SDI requires divers to use a computer. Let's just say down the road I complete a different agencies AOW course (e.g. PADI). PADI doesn't have the computer requirement. At this point am I still required to dive with a computer?

If you haven't guessed by now, I'm not particularly fond of having to dive with a computer (hence why I started with SSI).

Thank you,

Steve

You have your OW certification so you are free to dive any way you wish. If you want to use tables and a bottom timer/depth gauge, go for it! I like tables and used them for years.

OTOH, when I got involved with Nitrox, tables became more than I wanted to deal with. Not that I'm not capable, just that it was easier to just get a computer and be done with it.

I thought SDI taught tables as well as computers.

When you do your (PADI) AOW, you will be able to use tables if you wish. There is no requirement to use a computer but, in terms of the deep dive, you want to carefully watch your SPG and your ascent rate.

One downside to standard tables is that you have to assume a square profile. This tends to shorten your dive time because few dives are really square. There are multi-level solutions using tables but they are not practical to use in real-time. In fact, most dive planners are more useful after the dive than before. I never knew how deep I would go so how could I possibly plan the dive?

So, I wrote all of the Adjusted NDLs on my slate and at any point in the dive I could look at my dive timer and maximum depth to see whether it was time to surface.

Richard

I'm not sure if SDI teaches the tabels or not, I didn't do the SDI classroom. I've just read where it is "required" to have a computer if you're SDI certified.

I do agree with you about the benefits of the computer when it comes to maximizing bottom time. I was just asking becuase if I have the option of diving without a computer I would like it.

SDI teaches the navy tables as well as computers during their O/W course.

Why don't you want to dive with a Computer?

Honestly, I'll probably end up with one anyway. BUT, I just wanted the option to be able to use one or not to use one. I guess as stated earlier, who's going to check?

There are no scuba police. You are free to dive any way you want. The card just allows you to buy air and get on a charter boat. The card does not guarantee your safety. What's you dive buddy going to use? You weren't planning on relying on their computer, right? Are they going to want to do tables?

What amazes me is that you got an SDI certificate without doing the SDI program. There is something seriously wrong with this picture. Did you take the SDI written exam? As SDI really likes computers, they actually teach something about them. I don't know about SSI but PADI doesn't mention them at all.

There's nothing wrong with diving to the tables. In fact, you are probably a lot safer just because of the built-in round-ups and the fact that you are not watching a clock telling you when you are up against your multi-level NDL. You actually plan the dive in advance and dive with a square profile. There's a lot of comfort in diving this way.

I'm still coming to grips with using a computer. Intuitively, I don't like it. In the back of my mind the adjusted NDLs are running around. They should be on my slate. Unfortunately, I quit doing that when I gave up my BC and moved to a BP/W. No pocket for the dive table and slate. Well, that and old age keeps me from reading the things underwater anyway. They're hard enough to read in broad daylight.

You need a good dive timer. Unfortunately, the best is probably the Uwatec. There's one on eBay right now Item # 380110274150 but new, they cost about $125 including shipping from Spain. They may be popular with tech divers but they seem hard to find in the US. Maybe I just missed them. That, and ScubaPro doesn't authorize online sales in the US.

Many (but not all) computers can operate in gauge mode. Tech divers tend to use them that way because they work their own decompression profiles. But it doesn't save any money to buy a full blown computer and just use it as a depth gauge and timer. Still, it allows you to work with the tables.

The problem with a wrist watch with rotating bezel is forgetting to set the bezel at the start of the dive. then you have to remember when you terminated the dive. All in, workable; but a PITA. I have never tried the stopwatch feature of a digital watch. It might work ok if the numbers are large enough.

But depth and time are going to be very important if you plan to use the tables.

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom