SDI OW class - dive tables?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm doing the SDI OW class, with the online learning option. I've done all 16 chapters and will review some before I take the final over the weekend. My 3 hour classroom review session is Monday evening.

The dive tables are there in the online portion to print out, but there was nothing in the online learning portion about actually using them. Is this because just about everyone uses computers these days? I expect the tables to be discussed in the classroom session, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know? Thanks!

They will go over them briefly and SDI runs off the premise that you will be using a computer.

I believe that SDI was the first agency to require dive computers for classes. We acknowledged their existence and maybe went over their use for less than 10 minutes.

Welcome to the addiction, it's probably cheaper than crack.....
Jay

I believe that SDI was the first agency to require dive computers for classes. We acknowledged their existence and maybe went over their use for less than 10 minutes.

Welcome to the addiction, it's probably cheaper than crack.....
Jay

I'm an avid shooter. And I thought guns were an expensive hobby. Wow. It's looking pretty probably I'm going to have to go custom for a dry suit and that cost just boggled my brain. But I'm of the "buy once, cry once" mentality.

By "acknowledged their existence," I'm assuming you're referring to dive tables. I've got my computer on order (Oceanic 2.0). DRIS (my LDS) has ordered it for me, will arrive in about a week. Not sure if I'll have it for my pool time (next Thursday & Saturday), but I'll most definitely have it for my OW dives in mid-Sept.

Oceanic pro plus 2.0 was my choice. Love everything about it. I used to do a lot of shooting too....now I guess I'm a collector of safe queens. Your assumption was correct, we discussed the tables, but the majority of the class was based on computer diving.

From Wikipedia-
SDI is the only diver training agency that requires students to have access to a modern dive computer on all dives during training from the very start.[10]

DRIS is a great shop. Their customer service is second to none! I ordered 4 full sets of HOG regulators for my family and they arrived 4 days before we were to leave for Cozumel. One of the regulator adjustment knobs was broken and they overnighted a new one immediately. It arrived in time for the trip. Great shop!

Before you buy all of your equipment, try out several options to make sure you get what you really want. There is such a steep learning curve right now, it's easy to buy something and not know what other options are out there. I'm on my third BC, and wanting to go back plate and wing now. Rent, shop, borrow, look at others setups on dive boats, talk to other divers, etc. That way you only have to buy once.....until something new and shiny catches your eye!

good luck with your class, at least air fills are easier to get than .22 ammo!

Jay

I can't comment directly to your op post as I have not trained with SDI but I did my OW with SSI.

I was surprised that SSI did not teach tables, (I did ask my instructor if we would cover tables and his response was "if we have time, which at the end of my course was no!) and pushed the computer mentality. I am not saying this is wrong in this day and age, I was just suprised.

Once I had my OW certification, I bought some gear and amongst that was the PADI tables. It came with a little book that taught you how to read the tables etc. For my first 100 odd dives I calculated my pressure group from a dive and entered it into my log book. Worked out from the tables how long my subsequent dives could last (square profile) and to be honest didn't make an ounce of difference because as a recently qualified diver I burned through the air. I dived with a computer anyway. I dived on the boat that I did my OW on and one of the dive masters was "stunned" that I filled out my log book out the way I did. In a good way :)

My point is, the tables are quite easy to get the hang of. Easy enough to follow with the guidance of the included book and not a huge effort to teach yourself. For me it was worth it. If my computer ever died or had a dummy spit I can easily calculate where I am on the schedule and continue diving.

The OW course left me with more questions than answers, it really is the tip of the iceberg. Do I think learning the tables is important? Yes I do, but it is easily completed after the course for yourself.

Why not print the tables out and when you have completed your first dive ask the instructor to either help you work out what pressure group you are in, or make sure you have done it correctly, for your log book? In my experience teachers (instructors) love teaching people who want to learn.

I was definitely planning on asking for help to understand the tables.

A friend of mine who got certified through NAUI in the early 70s (but hasn't dived in years) said she was very surprised when I told her about computers being preferred above tables now. She told me to make sure I learned how to use the tables, just in case.

I've already got my logbook. Since I have to be meticulous with documentation for work (I deal with federal regulations), I'll probably be the same with logbook.

Oceanic pro plus 2.0 was my choice. Love everything about it. I used to do a lot of shooting too....now I guess I'm a collector of safe queens. Your assumption was correct, we discussed the tables, but the majority of the class was based on computer diving.

From Wikipedia-
SDI is the only diver training agency that requires students to have access to a modern dive computer on all dives during training from the very start.[10]

DRIS is a great shop. Their customer service is second to none! I ordered 4 full sets of HOG regulators for my family and they arrived 4 days before we were to leave for Cozumel. One of the regulator adjustment knobs was broken and they overnighted a new one immediately. It arrived in time for the trip. Great shop!

Before you buy all of your equipment, try out several options to make sure you get what you really want. There is such a steep learning curve right now, it's easy to buy something and not know what other options are out there. I'm on my third BC, and wanting to go back plate and wing now. Rent, shop, borrow, look at others setups on dive boats, talk to other divers, etc. That way you only have to buy once.....until something new and shiny catches your eye!

good luck with your class, at least air fills are easier to get than .22 ammo!

Jay

I don't even bother with .22 since it's scarce. 9mm and .223 all the way!

I'm doing a ton of research. The friend who inspired me to try diving has been diving since the 80s has been good to talk to about gear options. He tends to have older, quality stuff, but he's up on current trends and is a gear junkie, so he's great for questions. Another forum I'm a part of has a number of well experienced divers so that's another resource. I'm reading lots of online reviews and comparing everything.

I don't even bother with .22 since it's scarce. 9mm and .223 all the way!

I'm doing a ton of research. The friend who inspired me to try diving has been diving since the 80s has been good to talk to about gear options. He tends to have older, quality stuff, but he's up on current trends and is a gear junkie, so he's great for questions. Another forum I'm a part of has a number of well experienced divers so that's another resource. I'm reading lots of online reviews and comparing everything.
I think you just described most keen divers worldwide.

Hmmm...shiny...must buy it...

My friend has already described me as a gear junkie. Said I'm already hooked. :)

Back
Top Bottom