SDMReader - dive logs and statistics for Suunto users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

petmal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello.
I have a Suunto dive computer and because I think the Suunto Dive Manager is missing something I made my own application that can read the SDM database.
I originally made the application for my personal use only, but because I like it I decided to release it for public.

A couple of reasons that led me to make this piece of software:
  1. I beleive that a dive log should be as simple as possible, showing only the important and interesting things. The rest should go into notes and comments.
  2. I am missing certain statistical functionality in the original Suunto's Dive Manager.
  3. I want to be able to search and filter my dives based on multiple criteria.
You are welcome to try the SDMReader, but consider this a BETA version. I will appreciate any suggestions on what is missing or what could be improved.
Because I use my computer with metric units I don't know how it stores it's data in the imperial mode. I assume it stores everything in meters, but if not I will need to fix this. If you use the imperial settings please let me know if the numbers look right...

Go to the SDMReader website for more information on what it can do and to download it.

Petr :wink:

Interesting....

I downloaded it and installed it in a VM. The first issue I have is that it makes an outbound SMTP connection after a successful installation. It's considered bad etiquette if not outright malicious for software to perform unexpected network connections sending who knows what data. It's over TLS so I can't see what was sent.

I have Windows 7 x64, and it has a separate folder for program "data" vs. program "files". So the default location of my database is at c:\ProgramData\Suunto\D9.mdb. Not a big deal but could throw casual users off. Of course the database file will also vary by which PDC you have. (D6, etc.)

I can't resize the window or maximize it so it's really hard to see the bottom unless I slide the window to the very top of the display. Kind of annoying.

I would really like to be able to see a graph of my SAC across an individual dive. For some reason this feature doesn't work in SDM for me and I was hoping to get that from SDMReader.

The average SAC for each dive does not seem to be calculated correctly. Mine all show values such as 0.03 and .04 cuft/min. I'm assuming this is an issue with my use of Imperial vs metric.

Selecting multiple dives to compare average SAC over a dive history is an interesting feature but I can't really use it yet due to the improper SAC calculation. I'm really interested to try this when the conversion math is fixed.

Good start! Thanks for sharing.

It wont run for me. I get 'unknown error (0), Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation'. Windows XP

Hi and thanks for comments.

1) SMTP connection: it shouldn't send anything unless there is an exception thrown. It reports OS version and exception details. It also checks for new versions. You can switch the error reporting and automatic updates in "Preferences". I set this ON by default because it is a testing version... But, you are right, it should ask at the first run.

2) DB location: I have the same OS and it works fine. By default it should search at %ProgramData%\Suunto\d9.mdb. What exactly happens in your case? Is thera a problem in "D9" vs "d9"?

3) and 4) I will think about that...

5) Unfortunately, I don't have a database file from computers in the Imperial mode. Is SAC the only think that is incorrect? What about depth and temperature? Are they correct? Is the dive profile correct?

Many thanks.

Petr

Interesting....

I downloaded it and installed it in a VM. The first issue I have is that it makes an outbound SMTP connection after a successful installation. It's considered bad etiquette if not outright malicious for software to perform unexpected network connections sending who knows what data. It's over TLS so I can't see what was sent.

I have Windows 7 x64, and it has a separate folder for program "data" vs. program "files". So the default location of my database is at c:\ProgramData\Suunto\D9.mdb. Not a big deal but could throw casual users off. Of course the database file will also vary by which PDC you have. (D6, etc.)

I can't resize the window or maximize it so it's really hard to see the bottom unless I slide the window to the very top of the display. Kind of annoying.

I would really like to be able to see a graph of my SAC across an individual dive. For some reason this feature doesn't work in SDM for me and I was hoping to get that from SDMReader.

The average SAC for each dive does not seem to be calculated correctly. Mine all show values such as 0.03 and .04 cuft/min. I'm assuming this is an issue with my use of Imperial vs metric.

Selecting multiple dives to compare average SAC over a dive history is an interesting feature but I can't really use it yet due to the improper SAC calculation. I'm really interested to try this when the conversion math is fixed.

Good start! Thanks for sharing.

It wont run for me. I get 'unknown error (0), Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation'. Windows XP

I will try to find some computer running XP... Unfortunately, I didn't receive an error report. Are you connected to the internet? Alternatively, you could run the SDMReader from the command line with "debug" parameter [SDMReader.exe debug]. It should give you more information.

Thanks.

OK. I made a couple of improvements...

1. Fixed: search by gas mix
  2. Feature: filter dives by decompression
  3. Feature: mark decompression in the profile
  4. Feature: improved setup dialogue
  5. Feature: display the setup dialogue after the first run
  6. Feature: remember the last database path

Try version 0.2

Could somebody who uses his computer in the imperial mode tell me what depths and temperatures given by the SDMReader look like. Are they correct?

Thanks.

Here is the error message on debug

Internet is connected. Will it run without internet as I like to look at stuff on the laptop away from home?

Its good to see people working on this. I wrote a Suunto download app for PalmOS for viewing info on the move many years ago. I keep thinking about writing a smartphone app but I expect it'll be too challenging.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom