Sea Horse spotted at Catalina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muddiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A scientific diver class spent the day at Catalina and the lead instructor reports seeing a sea horse. Me thinks the environment is changing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We've had a long period of warm water. Creates a long opportunity for migration into the area.

Be be interesting to see what happens if we get things cooled off enough to get a good regrowth of kelp next winter.

Reactions: Jax
The Giant Kelp is going to have to fight it out with the Japanese sargassum that has spread throughout So. Cal. and Catalina first.

I saw one in PV. In the MPA. Several seen at Vets Park (not me on those)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, a number of interesting critters have been appearing in our far too toasty waters the past 18-20 months. Of course there have been sea horses down in Sandy Eggo for several years so it may not have been that much of a leap.

Waters are cooling (down 16 degrees from peak highs at 100 ft). Kelp is struggling to break through the Sargassum... but increased nutrients are also causing spurts in Sargassum growth as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom