Sea Hunt Buoyancy Control Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I worked with a guy (ex navy) who let me use his double 95s. The set had rings and straps and were heavy as hell out of the water, but once under, they were very comfortable.

oh, they're comfortable in the water, but i can't not use the wing with them. kudos to anyone who can!

The charts I have show LP 95s to be between 8 and 10 pounds negative full each. That is a bit much for most vintage/Sea Hunt era divers to handle without a BC. The Navy guys might could but for everyone else, choose the correct type of equipment and double 95s are not the correct type of equipment to experinece no-BC diving with, more than just an opinion, it is physics. Off the top of my head classic steel LP 72s are when double about 6 to 8 pounds negative TOTAL for both, that is much more within the realm of possibility and is done commonly by vintage divers. Choose the right weapon for the job. Well, it has been fun, y'all take care and have a good evening.

DSCF0114.jpg

N

That is a great pic Gary D., masks are worn correctly on forehead and they are genuine ovals, no snorkels, J valves and obviously double hose regs. The Navy sure knows how to do it right. State of the art I should say. Are those low pressure 95s, those might be different from those HP anvils people have now? N

Golden Royal Aquamasters (I still have and use the one in the pic). They were 3000 & 3500# tanks. We filled them to 4000# on a regular basis for some of the harder jobs. It was tough working overhead and I guess that's why we had very tough legs. Miss them DuckFeet. :wink:

ScubaBoard Gallery - They called us the Diving Dago's - Powered by PhotoPost

Remember these hard rubber booties? Here is a better shot of the tanks. This was our normal work garb. The boat we're on is in about 2000' of water outside of Subic Bay. Lots of paperwork for that one but we got a much better boat a few weeks later. The guy that headed up the consteuction of it lives about 8 miles from me now. Small world.

ScubaBoard Gallery - This was our old 50 footer - Powered by PhotoPost

The LP air compressor is in the well just aft of the cabin on the starbord side. The LP compressor is the monster on the stern. We used it for Jack Brown and MK-5. Below the deck was a couple of huge submarine HP air tanks for the cascade system for both HP and LP use.

Miss those days.

Gary D.

I'm an old timer at the age of 46. Back then I didn't have a wet suit so it just didn't matter. I dove when the water was warm enough with a steel 72, a plastic back pack for the tank, and a US Diver 2 stage single hose reg. I was negative in salt water wearing nothing so I didn't need weights & with no wet suit to compress at depth I didn't need to compensate for anything.

Great comments and memories.

My first "weight belt" was a metal chain wrapped around my waist and tied with a piece of rope.

We would joke about whether a particular dive might need a number 2 or a number 3 rock.

But I can't say I miss J-valves.

Thanks, all.
Thomjinx

Great comments and memories.

My first "weight belt" was a metal chain wrapped around my waist and tied with a piece of rope.

We would joke about whether a particular dive might need a number 2 or a number 3 rock.

But I can't say I miss J-valves.

Thanks, all.
Thomjinx

According to a large percentage of new divers we were very unsafe back then and all of us should have died doing that. But thern again they have never ridden in a vehicle, other than a school bus without air bags or flown in an airplane with the whirley thingie in the front. :D :D

Gary D.

oh, they're comfortable in the water, but i can't not use the wing with them. kudos to anyone who can!
What do you mean, you "can't not use a wing with them"? Of course you can. We did it in 1967 for three weeks of training at the U.S. Naval School for Underwater Swimmers in Key West. Those units were not that heavy in the water, even full. When empty, they nearly floated in fresh water, as I remember in the pool harassment exercise. I also read where Nemrod said that his specs were that they were 8 or so pounds heavy each when full; that simply cannot be, or some of us would still be on the bottom. Underwater, they were fine. Does he look that heavy coming up to the boat's ladder after a 120 foot qualification dive (he's not wearing weights, nor does he have a float other than the US Navy CO2 vest)?
USS--DeepDivesurfacing.jpg

On board the boat, you will be hard pressed to find a wing or any type of BC here, in 1967:
USS--shipdive.jpg

Note, only the instructor wore twin 72s. Everyone else were in U.S. Navy issue twin 90s. We called them twin 90s, but my notes from the school say:
HP Cylinder and manifold maintenance Nomencloture
A Aluminum Cylinder
1. 170 cu ft of air at 3000 psi
2. Weighs 84 lbs when charged to 3000 psi (twin 90's)
a. "O"-ring seal from manifold to bottle
b. Working pressure -- 3000 psi
charged here to 2150 psi
Out of water, that 85+ pounds was heavy...try doing a push-up or twenty with them on your back! Another favorite trick of the Navy instructors was to have you lay on your back with the Aqua Lung on, do flutter kicks, sing, and keep the water in your face mask from going down the back of your throat.

SeaRat

Holy Poo Ratliff it tis a small world. I was in Key West for two weeks for Rescue Swimmer School in 65. :D

We were just back there in October and it’s still small and crowded. Just more tourist than sailors now. We got to watch a little training that was going on in the bay.

Gary D.

John and Gary,

Those are great photos you have provided not to mention the "what it was like back then." Thank you and keep it coming.

I was a good decade behind you, but I feel fortunate to have learned at a time when divers were taught to be less gear dependant. It was more about wanting to dive than to be a "diver."

c

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom