Sea Hunt TV show... worth it on DVD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Someone mentioned the old sea hunt was on dvd. Don't remember much about it, is it worth it and where to buy the DVD's?

Thanks

I would love to have it on DVD. Granted I am only 36 but I remember watching the re-runs growing up all the time...love that show! I have not seen them on DVD yet?

The original shows are being held hostage by a family dispute. They have not been officially released for DVD production. You can find copies on both tape and DVD that folks offer on E-Bay and on Google. While the plots and acting are definitetly cheezy, that's what makes it great.

My favorite epispde has Mike in the Pacific Northwest. He must blow up a large rock that has caused many a shipwreck, proven by the toy ships in the backgroud. The only thing he has that will do the job is liquid nitroglycerine which, of course, they happen to have on hand in a ship in six foot seas. Mike carefully places the bottles of nitro and he lays the detonator cord on the way in with the last bottle, versus on the way out. When he leaves the stack of nitro bottles he encounters an electric eel (remember this is the Pacific Northwest) laying across his detonator cord. Watch the episode to see what happens.

There is another episode where he dives to around 100 feet to save the crew of a sunken ship. He cuts through the wall with an acetyline torch and then has the victims which include a dog breathe the pure oxygen from the torch (remember this is 100 feet). Then he takes a five gallon cookpot, inverts it and fills the pot with oxygen and puts the dog in there and easily carries the pot to the surface with no buoyancy problems.

What a man - definitely get a few episodes anyway to have around for parties and stuff.

Yes, I concur with all of the above. I purchased one of the bootleg DVD's and the quality was pretty poor, but hell, we didn't get that good of reception on the roof antenna anyway so it was a bit of an improvement.

Love Lloyd Bridges and was heavily inspired to dive from watching this show as a little kid. The price of the DVD's on ebay was very cheap so I don't regret the purchase for a minute.

A funny note, as the end credits are rolling you plainly hear a voice over announcer reminding viewers that the late, late show movie is coming right up!

Calm seas to you!

I have most episodes on VHS, and LOVE them. This old program inspired many 30-50something yr.old's to become divers. Hokey, overly dramatic, just plain wrong ? Yup, Yup, Yup... It's great.

If you can get them, get them. "Sea Hunt" is indeed cheesy, trite, and corny, but that's most of its charm. You get to see some "before they were stars" supporting actors, too (including Beau and Jeff Bridges).

A couple of years ago they did reruns on some cable channel (History?). I watched 'em all, but in none of the episodes did anyone cut Mike Nelson's air hose. What a gyp!! I thought this happened in every episode!!! ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom