Sea Hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Way back then, E.J. Korvette's department store chain, in Maryland, sold all the scuba gear. They could thank Sea Hunt for that business. I bought a Healthways regulator from another department store called BEST, that was like a Costco membership store. I still have it and most recently used it last year.

Everyone agrees that Sea Hunt was entertaining if nothing else. Mike Nelson broke so many "diving" rules that in the real world he wouldn't last more than one or two dives at best. ....... For the "TREKIES" ....... a diving SPOC ? ....... yes ..... how many people remember that Neonard Nimroy got his acting start on Sea Hunt by playing various parts that required his character to dive.

Stu S.:
Mike Nelson was a TV hero I could relate to. So much TV at the time was Westerns, cops, or war. At age 9, I could not have a gun, but I had a mask, snorkel and fins. I think my dad got them at Montgomery Ward's.

The movie that had an influence on me was Cousteau's "World Without Sun". It was a half of a double feature, following a Three Stooges movie. I was about 11. I still remember the deep diving scenes and the divers helium speech. I have tried to find a copy of that movie and can't. Does anyone know how to get a copy?

Oh, yeah... my NASDS dive table from 1977 says 100 min. for 50 feet.

Thanks / Stu

Go to this thread to find copies of both The Silent World & World Without Sun:

http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=447

scubapro50:
Everyone agrees that Sea Hunt was entertaining if nothing else. Mike Nelson broke so many "diving" rules that in the real world he wouldn't last more than one or two dives at best. ....... For the "TREKIES" ....... a diving SPOC ? ....... yes ..... how many people remember that Neonard Nimroy got his acting start on Sea Hunt by playing various parts that required his character to dive.

Spock played a diver whose wife had gone missing on a wreck dive and claimed her body went to the bottom of a deep abyss. Mike donned "experimental technical gear" and took an "experimental" nitrogen absorbing pill to go to 400ft to recover the body. The whole thing was a ruse to get Spock to confess to what rteally happened.

One of my favorite episodes next to the one called "Rousabout" where a guy uses an oxygen rebreather to help Mike with a rescue and toxes out at 50ft. The depiction of oxygen toxicity should be required watching for all rebreather classes.

wedivebc:
Spock played a diver whose wife had gone missing on a wreck dive and claimed her body went to the bottom of a deep abyss. Mike donned "experimental technical gear" and took an "experimental" nitrogen absorbing pill to go to 400ft to recover the body. The whole thing was a ruse to get Spock to confess to what rteally happened.

One of my favorite episodes next to the one called "Rousabout" where a guy uses an oxygen rebreather to help Mike with a rescue and toxes out at 50ft. The depiction of oxygen toxicity should be required watching for all rebreather classes.
Leonard "Spock" Nimoy stared in 5 Sea Hunt episodes : (08/02/58) The Shipwreck, (08/23/58) Dead man's Cove, (01/04/59) The Alcatraz Story, (07/16/60) Time Fuse, (07/30/60) The Invaders ................

Picture3056.jpg

patymeboy:
If you remember the sea hunt episode when Mike Nelson rescued a lost bike for a crying kid.

I some how recall that the young child actor was one of his children.

At that time I lived a block away and I was present at the filming. The filming lasted two days and one night just for the topside work.

When shown on TV Mike searches in very clear water--The Belmont pier is inside the Long Beach Harbor and the water is mud like consistancy with about equal visability.

SDM

nemoy murdered his wife and Nelson tricked him into thinking he was about to retreave the body and solve the murder.

Nemoy also tried to spring his brother from the Rock underwater. He called Mike Nelson, his reluctant instructor "Teach" How disrespectfull of the future Spock

Back
Top Bottom