Sea Hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember a time when a mans life in the sea wasn't worth a cheep fifty cent snorkel
The last words I heard him utters were. "Hey that's my snorkel!" and then e took the big sleep.

Not only am I old enough to have watched the original series (and get hooked on scuba from it), I met Lloyd Bridges in a Howard Johnson with one of the other divers from the show when having breakfast one morning! Both of them looked like the real thing...sunburned, etc. He autographed a HoJo menu for me. I wish I still had it!

>You are getting close---one of the gentlemen had something to do with the early snorkel--but who was he?<

By any chance, was the person in question Bill Barada, who collaborated with Lloyd Bridges when he wrote his book "Mask and Flippers, The Story of Skin Diving". Bill Barada designed and built dry suits for the Bel-Aqua Water Sports Company as well as "the first all rubber snorkel and the first CO2 speargun".

http://www.zoominfo.com/people/barada_billy_628872356.aspx

I have a copy of the 1955 edition of his fascinating paperback "Underwater: The Skin Diver's Manual" which contains a picture of his whole family decked out in the dry suits he designed.

And if we're talking about two instructor-authors, is the other one Alfred Tillman, who died just a couple of years ago? Here's an obituary:

http://www.scubadiving.com/article2919

David

I too am old enough to remember SeaHunt (7:30PM CBS), I even had the opportunity to meet Zale Perry (woman stunt woman on original series), fascinating person.
Somedays, (make that most days) I still cannot believe that I can spend time underwater, using scuba.
So unique when I was a kid.

David Wilson,

I think you've got it, Bill Barada and Al Tillman would also be my choices. I have a copy of mask and flippers, the story of skin diving, by Lloyd Bridges as told to Bill Barada, but I think it was the other way around, as Lloyd was the storyteller. I also have Let's go Diving, A Condensed Diving Instruction Manual Illustrated with over 75 Drawings, by Bill Barada, 1962. Both are very good reading books.

SeaRat

CORRECTO!

Albert Tillman (NOT AlFRED!)

Bill Barada--He invented the dry suit and was Mr. Aqula. His Co2 gun can be seen in Dive!--or my story the "Gas gun" in the defunct magazine "Discover diving" of 12-15 years past.

Bill authored "about" ten books in total- two were hard back the rest soft covers Recall them?

Bill wrote books for 2 companies --which companies?

Zale Parry--(Not PERRY.) That is her stage name. Do you know her birth name?

New question:

Zale Parry appeared in a diving/underwater series several years before Sea Hunt.
Q: What was the name of the series?
Q: Who was the star of the series?

FYI-- Zale Parry will be a Portage Quarry, Ohio in August 2007 for "Legends 11"

sam miller:
CORRECTO!

Albert Tillman (NOT AlFRED!)

Bill Barada--He invented the dry suit and was Mr. Aqula. His Co2 gun can be seen in Dive!--or my story the "Gas gun" in the defunct magazine "Discover diving" of 12-15 years past.

Bill authored "about" ten books in total- two were hard back the rest soft covers Recall them?

Bill wrote books for 2 companies --which companies?

Zale Parry--(Not PERRY.) That is her stage name. Do you know her birth name?
I think you mean "Aquala." I don't think Barada "invented" it, I was told that it was a European product that he imported. If that's not the case, I'd love to know the real story.

About 2 years ago at "OceanFest" in Ft Lauderdale the guy that played Lloyd Bridges standin long with "Jaws" from 007 gave a talk...he was quite interesting...anyone recall his name?

Back
Top Bottom