Sea Hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 1958, 1963 and 1973 US Navy Dive Tables are all as Nemrod says, 50 feet for 100 minutes.

You know, I don't recall any episodes of Sea Hunt with Mike Nelson holding an anchor line, decompressing.

Cousteau discussed decompression in his first international film, The Silent World. One of the early segments shows one of the Cousteau divers being "hit" with decompression sickness (pains in his elbow) after diving deep for lobster, getting narced, and heading for the surface without doing any stops. Falco was his diving partner, and he was not able to stop this diver's ascent. So they put him into the deck decompression chamber, and went off and ate his lobsters! It was a funny way to make the point of sticking to decompression schedules. Just before this segment, Cousteau discussed sponge divers in hard hat gear who were crippled by decompression sickness.

All in all, Cousteau presented a better picture of diving than did Sea Hunt. I started diving because of Cousteau, and the showing of The Silent World, but enjoyed Sea Hunt too. Even then, we knew it was Hollywood, and that much of what we saw on Sea Hunt was not realistic.

When I got into the service, and went through the U.S. Navy School for Underwater Swimmers in 1967, one of the worst things the Navy instructors would say about trainee divers is that they were acting like Mike Nelson on Sea Hunt. People who did that were guaranteed at least 25 pushups, and maybe if they separated from their buddy, would get the dreaded "buddy line" (a special 6" diameter rope about 10 feet long to carry for the next 24 hours).

SeaRat

LOL, I was not trying to school him but I do know the tables and can figure them in my head from memory on the fly. I don't need a computer, I is one (rolling eyes allowed here!) N

Seems like a lot of the 40+ crowd have some fine memories. There is so much crap on TV these days. When is the last time a TV show influenced young ones for the better?

uspap:
Seems like a lot of the 40+ crowd have some fine memories. There is so much crap on TV these days. When is the last time a TV show influenced young ones for the better?

Umm.................................................Umm.............................................Umm.........................................Good question!

If you remember the sea hunt episode when Mike Nelson rescued a lost bike for a crying kid. Notice that he puts his rig on over his weght belt. I love finding those little discrepancies that i miss on the first viewing. All in all Sea Hunt is a great work of art.
Good stories, good acting, fantastic music, increadible naration, classic equipment and just plain stunning scenery. It is a difficult act to follow for us poor divers with no bad guys around to cut our air supply, well once a navy seal buddy did that to me on the Valiant at Catalina. He scrolled on my slate "I just turned off your air" I just relaxed because I knew he was horsing around but in general diving gets a bit dull. Well then it is back to being a bad guy for me. I drove to Sadlebag lake. The sign read no swiming. Hum nothing writen about no diving. Just to be safe I suited up behind some bushes and sliped unnoticed into an inlet. Off i went totaly undetected. swiming around the fishing zones looking up at the row boats from the shelter of the deep. What a thrill and a fun memory. I shall return soon to those sweet Sierra waters.
Thanks loid Bridges for that episode about watching bad guys from the lake. There is nothing like the sanctuary of the deap and the fellowship of the fish. Amen

patymeboy:
If you remember the sea hunt episode when Mike Nelson rescued a lost bike for a crying kid. Notice that he puts his rig on over his weght belt. I love finding those little discrepancies that i miss on the first viewing.
Or the early ones where you can see the bulges of the weights around his waist UNDER HIS WET SUIT! (And, yes, Mike DID wear a wetsuit for the better part of the first two seasons that I have seen.)

patymeboy:
The sign read no swiming. Hum nothing writen about no diving.
A bunch off-topic, but one of my favorite local dive spots has posted "No Swimming. No Diving." Since there aren't a whole lot of divers in our neck of the woods crazy enough to dive the river, I can only assume it means no diving from shore into the water with swimming trunks- you know, not SCUBA diving. I've often thought I should find out where I can get the city's definition of "diving", but don't want to alert them to my activities there.

Duckbill, don't ask, or they'll redefine it. Just enjoy the diving, and if ever confronted, say "Oh, my! I thought you were talking about kids diving headfirst off rocks." Let it go at that.

Scuba diving is so much safer than diving off rocks. At High Rocks on the Clackamas River, here in the Portland, Oregon area, where they have lifeguards in the summer, they invariably have some people who jump off and injure themselves. Once, I had just exited and went by the lifeguard's tent, and saw a kid holding his arm. I asked what had happened, and was told by the lifeguard that the kid had dived off the 20+ foot rock into the water, entered at an angle, and dislocated his shoulder. The lifeguards had to get wet for him that day. Rather than taking an ambulance, he was awaiting a ride from a friend or relative to the hospital. I just shook my head, and walked back up to my vehicle.
HighRocks1a.jpg

Swimmers jumping off High Rocks, Clackamas River. This guy landed on his back, knocking the wind out of him in the process, but he did not require lifeguard help.

LoneRockLifeguardStand.jpg

Lifeguard Tent overlooking my dive site on the Clackamas River, Oregon

Now, just so we're clear, don't do a Mike Nelson dive/flip into the river off the rocks. :wink: He used to do that forward dive off his boat, landing on his double 38s after tucking his head and holding his mask, landing on the back of his shoulders. That's okay off a boat in deep water (perhaps--if you're good and don't worry about the consequences), but in our rivers this would be a bit hazardous.

SeaRat

Mike Nelson was a TV hero I could relate to. So much TV at the time was Westerns, cops, or war. At age 9, I could not have a gun, but I had a mask, snorkel and fins. I think my dad got them at Montgomery Ward's.

The movie that had an influence on me was Cousteau's "World Without Sun". It was a half of a double feature, following a Three Stooges movie. I was about 11. I still remember the deep diving scenes and the divers helium speech. I have tried to find a copy of that movie and can't. Does anyone know how to get a copy?

Oh, yeah... my NASDS dive table from 1977 says 100 min. for 50 feet.

Thanks / Stu

"Mike Nelson was a TV hero I could relate to. So much TV at the time was Westerns, cops, or war. At age 9, I could not have a gun, but I had a mask, snorkel and fins. I think my dad got them at Montgomery Ward's. "

My LDS was also Montgomery Wards, they had an excellent dive selection---lol. N

Never mind!<G>

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom