Sea Hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That link

http://aa.1asphost.com/CTVA/US/Documentary/KingdomOfTheSea.htm

lists Bob Stevenson as the host of 16 programmes in the series. No indication why he was the host - my web searches suggest that he may have been an actor in a Sci-Fi film prior to Kingdom of the Sea. John D. Craig, showcased by Thalassomania, has clearer diving credentials. I have one of his books on my bookshelf, a manual co-authored with Morgan Degn, entitled "Invitation to skin and scuba diving", subtitled "A complete illustrated & authoritative guide to underwater sport, adventure & safety published by Simon and Shuster of New York in 1965. He has a chapter on water safety and first aid and one of the websites I visited alluded to the short safety slots in "Kingdom of the Sea" in which Zale Parry played a key role.

Wow... following some of these posts and doin' some of that Googlin' stuff (... and a trip to IMDB.COM):

Zale Parry:

Was the third female instructor to graduate from the LA County UICC Program.

An avid underwater photographer.

First woman President of the Underwater Photographic Society in 1960.

Organized the International Underwater Film Festival With Al Tilman.

Best known as underwater damsel in distress in the TV series Sea Hunt.

Helped run the first hyperbaric chamber for civilian divers in California

Set a woman's depth record to 209 feet (1954)

Started SCUBA diving in 1951 using one of the first imported Aqualungs.

Appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated magazine in May 1955.

IMDB.COM doesn't show anything for "Kingdom of the Sea"... but does show that she was in 7 "Sea Hunt" episodes and, in 1958, was in a 91 minute move called "Underwater Warrior" playing "girl swimmer"...

Wow... cool stuff...

J.R.

Thalassamania classicdivebooks.customer.netspace.net.au/dimb- DANGER IS MY BUSINESS [/URL:
John D. Craig
Also published by Literary Guild, New York, 1938. (Top cover)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>>>The LG edition was a very popular book and it can be obtained for a reasonable price on E bay--woth the price; it is a great reading book.
>>>The 1941 edition by Garden city publishing company is more difficult to locate therefore is more $$$

>>>It is interesting that two Americans, Gilpatric & Craig wrote books on diving. One was popular the other a failure. Now the failure is valued at several hundreds of dollars and the popular one has little value.

>>>One would assume every diver would have copies of both these books in their historical library, or be aware of them and have them on their wish list.

---------------------------------------------------------

1963: Industry members form the Diving Equipment and Manufacturers Association (DEMA) - now known as the Diving Equipment and Marketing Association (also DEMA).

A year later Richard Adcock establishes the first live-aboard dive boat in La Paz, Mexico.
Question time?
Who was Richard AdcocK?
What was his boat's name?

That year, the Los Angeles County Department of Parks and Recreation Department produces one of the first instructional films on recreational diving, Anyone for Diving?, narrated by Colonel John D. Craig and featuring appearances by Zale parry, Tommy Thompson and others.
Question time
What was the first instructional movie?
Who filmed it?
What year was it filmed?
Where was it filmed?
Who stared in it?

RE: Any one for diving
Who were the male & female leads?
(hint-male is diving in the big reef in the sky)
(Female -very very famous female dive instructor)

Who was Tommy Thompson?
Why is he famous?
----------------------------------------------

David Wilson:
That link

http://aa.1asphost.com/CTVA/US/Documentary/KingdomOfTheSea.htm

lists Bob Stevenson as the host of 16 programmes in the series. No indication why he was the host - my web searches suggest that he may have been an actor in a Sci-Fi film prior to Kingdom of the Sea. John D. Craig, showcased by Thalassomania, has clearer diving credentials.

FYI and your continuing education:

>>>Bob Stevenson may have been the off camera voice.

>>>Col. John D Craig was certainly and clearly the host. He and Zale would dive around So Cal, find some thing on the bottom, a peice of kelp, a sedate animal, or something, bring it to the surface and swim back to the boat. While they were in their wet suits John would discuss all aspects of the item, while Zale would occasionally make a comment or ask a question or handle the object or just look cute and pretty which she was (and IS!)

Every week a new segment! All about the same.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I have one of his books on my bookshelf, a manual co-authored with Morgan Degn, entitled "Invitation to skin and scuba diving", subtitled "A complete illustrated & authoritative guide to underwater sport, adventure & safety published by Simon and Shuster of New York in 1965. He has a chapter on water safety and first aid and one of the websites I visited alluded to the short safety slots in "Kingdom of the Sea" in which Zale Parry played a key role.

>>>>The book "Invitation to skin and Scuba diving" Is certainly not a great one or one to seek out for the library. However I have a copy --but mine is inscribed to me by MCD & JDC

So now it is question time:
Who was?is Morgan C Degn?
What is he called other than Morgan?--hint "C"
What was he most noted? (dive instruction)
What was the relationship to Craig? (There are many!)

I would suggest that you might want to visit and possibly post to the "Bibliophile" thread of "Vintage Double Hose" for some additional information on Craig et al.

Or contact Reg Valentine of the UK HDS-- he is a big in bibliophilia and I would assume well known in UK circles.

It is approprite to record history --but record it correctly devoid of I think, I heard, I believe, I was told, and the biggie I knew a fellow, who knew a fellow, who knew a fellow, who was told.....

This session of the Society of minor dive historians has once again come to the end.

SDM

J.R.:
Wow... following some of these posts and doin' some of that Googlin' stuff (... and a trip to IMDB.COM):

Zale Parry:

*Was the third female instructor to graduate from the LA County UICC Program.
>>>Questions;
Q: Who was the first to graduate (first female UW Instr in the world?)
Q: Who was the second?

*An avid underwater photographer.
>>>Q: What kind of camera did she use? Remember it is 1950s=1960s..

*First woman President of the Underwater Photographic Society in 1960.
(and a darn good one)

*Organized the International Underwater Film Festival With Al Tilman.
(True--Key word International

Best known as underwater damsel in distress in the TV series Sea Hunt.

Helped run the first hyperbaric chamber for civilian divers in California
Questions:
Q: Where was it located?
Q: Who owned it?

Set a woman's depth record to 209 feet (1954)

Started SCUBA diving in 1951 using one of the first imported Aqualungs.

Appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated magazine in May 1955.

... In 1958, was in a 91 minute move called "Underwater Warrior" playing "girl swimmer"...
>>>some more big Qs
Q:Who was the star of the movie?
Q:What was the title of the movie?
Q:What was the original title of the movie? (same as the book)
Q:Who wrote the book? I have both editions inscribed to me)
Q: What was he called by his friends?

Wow... cool stuff...

J.R.

Bonus questions:
Q: Who gave Zale her first job --baby sitting?
Q: Who was her first husband?
Q: What is her REAL name?

J. R.

The corn is in the silo, snow covers the feilds, too cold for hunting, so you have ample time to research this. How about it? Report back to the thread with you answers.
Frankly, I simply do not have time for all this..

cheers,

SAM MILLER

Sam -

Well... tain't all THAT cold for hunting... but spent some time on your questions (haven't had THIS much fun in years... must have a boring life...):

So far:

1: Who was the first UICC Prog graduate - Dottie Frasier
2: Who was second - [still working on that one]

3: What kind of camera did Zale use - Rolliemarine... bought with her winnings from
Groucho Marx's "You Bet Your Life"

Hyperbaric Chamber

Interestingly haven't run on too much with that other than she did the work with her husband who started SURE - Scientific Underwater Research Enterprises... so, haven't nailed it down yet... but it "looks like" they/he/she may be the owner... haven't found location yet...

Underwater Warrior questions:
Star(s) - Dan Daily/Claire Kelly
Title - Ummm... Underwater Warrior (?)
Original title (thanks for the clue) - "The Naked Warriors"
Book written by : Dan Moore w/Cdr. Fane
Nickname question: Red Dog Fane

Bonus Questions:

1st job... NOT A CLUE!!!
First Husband - Parry Bevens, M.D. (couldn't find any other)
Real Name - Zale Bevens

... or so it all looks... but then... primary source for research is the internet and we all know what kinda' stuff they put up THERE!!!

J.R.

May I suggest starting a trivia thread. I think you would get more responses that way. I'm sure it was unintentional but you have completely hijacked this thread. The trivia is cool though.

Aw ... Sea Hunt is kind of trivia to begin with.

True. But we're not even talking Sea Hunt trivia anymore. I think David W will get a lot more feedback with a thread on this. I think it would be a great topic. I personally don't know enough to start one or I would. So David, how about it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom