Sea Kittens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?

-B

well, technically, so are we :cool2:

I do agree that this 'sea kitten' thing is really strange. PETA should've rather put that energy into shark finning or the dolphin slaughterings instead.

Of course you can! Nearly all animals are eatable, even *I'm* eatable! But that is called "cannibalism," my dear children, and is in fact frowned upon in most societies.

Heheheh.

They're just pining for attention, yet again. At the very least, they managed to get 100 posts of conversation on the topic out of us. Thousands of people will hear about the Sea Kittens because of our 100 posts... and maybe 10 of them will take up Peta's flag. Spread it across the internets, perhaps hundreds, maybe even thousands (their website says about 6500 have signed a petition)

Shock marketing, sadly, works.

-B

Oh, and you have to love the interview they did for our local community radio. Keep in mind we're in rural Alaska, where thousands of people still rely on subsistance fisheries to support their families. I love their answers when they were asked how their campaign would affect people in our community - shows how out of touch with reality they are, if not somewhat racist.

Does that apply to traditional Native subsistence users of fish, or Alaska residents who live in remote communities where produce, fruit and other non-meat options are either not always available or prohibitively expensive?
Obviously the bulk of campaign is aimed at average people who have resources available to us that most of us have.

So “Save the Sea Kittens” is aimed at average Americans … It doesn’t apply to Native or rural Alaskan communities?
We are always against killing, exploiting or abusing animals in any way.
We encourage absolutely everyone to make compassionate choices when they can. I think that in the 21st century, most of us are in the position to choose not to cause pain to an animal when we’re deciding what to eat.

If it’s not a question of opting out, if one’s survival depends on it is it then is it cruel to kill an animal for consumption?
Looking at these kinds of theoretical situations is missing the point that we can make simple decisions every day to do the right thing.

What would you say to a community where their entire industry is based on fishing?
As times have changed and as our sense of what is ethical evolved, we’ve had to make major shifts in different industries. Child labor used to be a major part of society and economy. Obviously that is now unthinkable.
Losing demand for one thing we eat creates demand for another thing, which creates new jobs, sources of income, and opportunity.

So crab fisherman could go on to become parsnip farmers?
There have been so many times in our history where we’ve had to adjust as things that were major parts of our society have become things we’re ethically not comfortable with anymore.

Source: Dutch Harbor Fisherman

-B

Good question... why doesn't PETA seem to be at the forefront of the shark finning issue if they are so concerned?

They're just pining for attention, yet again. At the very least, they managed to get 100 posts of conversation on the topic out of us.

Yup... and, like all little children who 'act out' in order to get attention (even negative attention)... it should be *rewarded* appropriately...

(their website says about 6500 have signed a petition) Shock marketing, sadly, works.

... a broken clock will appear to show the correct time twice a day... unless, of course, it's a 24 hour clock... then it will only appear to be correct ONCE a day... but it doesn't mean the clock 'works'... or that it "has a valid point"... a broken clock is still a broken clock. :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Personally, I love how they use "choice" as an inappropriate euphanism...

Good question... why doesn't PETA seem to be at the forefront of the shark finning issue if they are so concerned?

Because they know what the Chinese population AND the Red Chinese government are going to say to them.:wink:

Input appreciated but I'm going to stick with nutjobs. Do some research on them, it's impossible to reach any other conclusion.
I think nutjobs is too gracious. Nuts can be turned into peanut butter at least.

I was just watching the Colbert Report and he had a little bit on PETA's sea kitten campaign. They just got national attention

Because they know what the Chinese population AND the Red Chinese government are going to say to them.:wink:

That doesn't seem to make sense given PETA's position on the export of cat and sog furs from China.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom