Sea of Cortez newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gassed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I never thought I would see the day but I have had enough of the Caribbean.
I have been reading the reviews and questions related to diving in Sea of Cortez. More and more I am leaning toward Loreto (originally looking at La Paz) for our first Cortez excursion. Though still open to suggestions.
I have seen the "charts" that outline the animal "season". I am looking for clarity on water vs. animal vs. air temps. I've read that Summer/fall is best....... and then that Spring is best. Is there a "best time of year" compromise with water temp, clarity and animal life? If we can avoid 7mils and still see big schools, big critters, that's what we are looking for.
Also, we are used to 4 dives a day. This seems to be a real deal breaker. It's just too much cost in travelling for 2 tanks a day. Are there any options outside liveaboard for this kind of water time?
I'm sure this has all been covered but I have not been able to find what I am looking for in my basic, recent searches.
Any info would be great.
Thanks,
Erik

This seems to be a real deal breaker.
Temps in the Mar de Cortez are a lot cooler with many divers opting for drysuits and even then hypothermia and hypothermic induced DCS can be issues. Most divers were wiped out after three dives.

Temps in the Mar de Cortez are a lot cooler with many divers opting for drysuits and even then hypothermia and hypothermic induced DCS can be issues. Most divers were wiped out after three dives.
Thanks for the response.
We cut our teeth diving the beaches and islands of Southern California. It is tough pulling on a semi-dry 9mil in 85f air temps and jump into surging 60f water. That said, we still expect 4-5 hours underwater per day on a dive/photo trip.
Are we expecting too much? Is this just the "way it is" in the area?
Thanks again,
Erik

I have never been in Loreto. But I have been to La Paz, Cabo Pulmo and Cabo San Lucas.

In my experience, the water was warmest and clearest in the Summer and Fall. My trips span from an August 1995 land-based trip to La Paz and Cabo Pulmo, a September 2001 trip on a Sea of Cortes liveaboard, to multiple return trips since 2014 on both land-based and liveaboard trips to La Paz and Cabo Pulmo, the most recent being November 2019. Expect at least 80 degrees and at 60-80 ft viz.

I have been there twice in the Spring: Cabo San Lucas in late May 2021 and La Paz and La Ventana (45 minutes south of La Paz by car) in early May this year and the water was 75-77 with max viz of 30 ft at best.

I have gone in these two separate seasons because I was targeting different animals whose season is at different times of the year. For example, if you want sea lions, it s pretty much year-round, but if you want sea lion pups (which are the most playful and interactive) it is late Summer and Fall. If you want mobulas, it is late Spring/early Summer. As for the bull sharks and the big school of jacks of Cabo Pulmo, I have only seen those on Fall trips.

I don't know if 4 dives are offered - the norm is 2-3 day dives. A night dive might make it a 4th. But if you have a group of at least 4 or are willing to pay, money talks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom