Sea of Cortez

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver-K

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the Sea of Cortez diving or snorkeling. I was considering a trip to Puerto Penasco (the northern part of the Sea of Cortez in early April. I assume it isn't nearly as good as the East side of Mexico. Anyone been there? What's the water temp like then?

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. My wife and I went to Los Barriles, also known as the East Cape. We were primarily fishing, but did go on a snorkel trip to the only protected reef in the Sea of Cortez. It was one of the best places we had ever been. Vis seemed unlimited and the scenery was unbelievable. Temps were in the 70's, a might chilly after a while without a wetsuit. I am not familar with the location you listed, but we are already planning to return to the East Cape next year. This time we will take our scuba gear.

My favorite dive spot in Baja is El Bajo or Las Animas, one is a sea mount the other a small rock island.

The dive sites can be gotten to from La Paz or Loreto. Baja Outpost is a great dive oriented motel/dive boat operation in Loreto.

Most people aren't aware that the Sea Of Cortez is claimed to be among the most bio-diverse waters in the world.

In dive spots further south in the sea you'll see a mix of eastern pacific fishes and Indio-Pacific fishes- all at the same time.

There are mantas, scalloped hammerheads, whale sharks, blue whale, and numerous other sitings of "big stuff" depending on the time of the year.

Diving in the mid-riff islands is fantastic, but you'll need your own source for air fills. There have been compressor operators working off and on over the years in Bahia De Los Angeles. So you chould check some web sites before heading there.

The further south in the Sea of Cortez the better it gets. Cabo is unimpressive in my experience and more expensive than La Paz or Loreto.

Don't expect the same level of "resort style" diving you'd find else where in the world. It's rustic, but a great adventure.

shep

The Sea of Cortez is big. Puerto Penasco is on the Mainland in the North, I don't think you can say it is great because the rest of the Baja is great. You should go to the padi.com website for local dive shops and e-mail them. Or try to get specific travel information. I had a great time diving out of Loreto but that is far away. But note that in March/April you will get grey whales farther south.

Diver-K once bubbled...
Is anyone familiar with the Sea of Cortez diving or snorkeling. I was considering a trip to Puerto Penasco (the northern part of the Sea of Cortez in early April. I assume it isn't nearly as good as the East side of Mexico. Anyone been there? What's the water temp like then?

I have not been to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) in a lot of years but I did used to go there a lot in the 70's as a kid, and frequently dive from San Carlos.

I understand there has been quite a construction boom in Puerto Penasco and Sandy Beach in the last decade, but I doubt the bay has changed much.

A couple of thoughts/cautions about Rocky Point.
1) Its mostly a college party and inexpensive time share area, not anywhere near a Cancun or Cozumel. Early April is spring break, I think.
2) It has the second largest tidal shift in the world, the tide moves hundreds of yards from high to low (its shallow, in other words) so you need to boat out to dive, I expect.

That said, Sea of Cortez diving near San Carlos is great, so might be pretty good near Rocky Point too.

Mike

Diver-K once bubbled...

I have not been to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) in a lot of years but I did used to go there a lot in the 70's as a kid, and frequently dive from San Carlos.

I understand there has been quite a construction boom in Puerto Penasco and Sandy Beach in the last decade, but I doubt the bay has changed much.

A couple of thoughts/cautions about Rocky Point.
1) Its mostly a college party and inexpensive time share area, not anywhere near a Cancun or Cozumel. Early April is spring break, I think.
2) It has the second largest tidal shift in the world, the tide moves hundreds of yards from high to low (its shallow, in other words) so you need to boat out to dive, I expect.

That said, Sea of Cortez diving near San Carlos is great, so might be pretty good near Rocky Point too.

Mike

I have snorkled off Sandy Beach and Pelican Point near Puerto Penasco (aka Rocky Point), but it was several years ago. Lots of small sting rays, not much else. Hardly any fish. Visibility was about 25 ft.

Like MikeH, I go to San Carlos frequently. I was there Oct. 24-26. Visibility unusually poor (15-25 ft), less fish than earlier in the summer, but still a fair amount - especially angel fish. Lots of friendly, curious octopus. The water is starting to cool, so I suspect the fish are moving with the water temps.

I've been to Cabo Pulmo a few times, and I highly recommend it. It's on the Sea of Cortez between Cabo San Lucas and La Paz. I'd wait until after Jan, when the water starts to clear and warm up. It is possible to do whale dives, and I've even seen whaleshark there. It is the only coral reef on the west coast of North America. The town of Cabo Pulmo is remote, and there are not a lot of amenities, but if like to stay in a bungalow, steps from the beach, Check it out. They do have beach houses as well, just no "hotel" http://www.cabopulmo.com/
There are a few places to eat. Above the dive shop, burgers etc. On the beach, fresh fish tacos...Down the street, Tito's (Don't miss the rellienos here!) Avoid the fancy restaurant next door (Annies? I forget) Not worth the money, poor service as well.
If you’re up for a dive trip in the middle of nowhere, Cabo Pulmo.

Anyone have an idea of where to check the weather conditions for the Sea of Cortez? We had a local diver (elderly lady, new diver) die there just recently, reports here are a bit sketchy right now, but it sounds like conditions were pretty rough. Never been there, but I know Northers come down this time of year, was wondering if one was blowing at the time.

Nan, you might look at NOAA sites for info. This one gives the last 24 hours for La Paz, where news reports say she died, but there are other possibilities.

www.weather.noaa.gov

My condolences for the loss of your friend, but I gotta' say - THAT'S THE WAY I'D WANT TO GO!!

Best wishes, don

Back
Top Bottom