Sea & Sea DX-1200 HD for first time purchaser?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

recoiljunky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I'm looking at buying my first underwater camera. I've done a little research on this site, but most threads were started by divers with limited diving experience. I've been diving for over 20 years now, I've got bouyancy and trim down pretty well.

I've looked at all the major brands and so far I like the Sea & Sea DX-1200 because of its price, high mega pixel count and design of its housing.

I'm thinking of just buying the camera at first and buying a strobe after I get used to it.

I dive only in tropical waters. Most of my pictures will be in 30 feet or less of water to start out with. Top side pictures are also very important as this camera will be the primary camera for my wife and I, even when not diving.

Is the DX-1200 good bang for the buck, especially for a new underwater photographer? Is there a better deal that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

The DX1200 is a great camera/housing combo for the price. Its very compact, easy to use and takes good pictures. Pairing it with one of the Sea & Sea strobes makes for a quality, compact complete system. Dollar to Dollar its the best value. The video quality is pretty good as well, so you can get some nice video clips.

If you are up to spending a little bit more, you should take a look at the Canon G10. Its a great camera and there are a variety of housings available for it. However, this system will cost you a bit more if you go with any of the housings from Ikelite, Seatool or Patima.

Actually, I've been following this thread in anticipation waiting for all the people that own one to comment and tell us how much they love the camera (or hate)....

I'm like days away from getting one and would love to hear something one way or the other.
It's this to hold me over or going full tilt into the SLR and $$$$$ on all the fixings

-Keath

I would consider the DX-1G or the new DX-2G as an alternative to the 1200 HD. The 1G and 2G offer much more versatility and you get great pictures with them. However, if the attraction to the HD is the HD video then that would tip the scale in the HD's favor. The 2G is a better camera than the 1G and is going to be on the market in mid-April. I currently have the 1G and it takes great pictures under the water and on land. I used it during a recent trip to Egypt and I was very impressed with the pics that I got of the various sites we visited in Cairo as well as the underwater pics during our diving in the Red Sea. The advantage of the 1G or 2G is the availablity of wet lenses that can be attached or removed under water. The camera itself offers one of the widest angle lenses available and you can attach a wide angle lens that does a great job. You can also get a close-up lens or use the camera's macro mode for small critters. Many of the other cameras do not have this flexibility and you have to shoot wide angle or macro during your dive but not both.

Just my thoughts.

Regards,

Bill

The DX-1G or 2G are great cameras as well. The 1G has just dropped in price, which is great. The 2g is significantly more than the 1200HD...budget is the real deciding factor there. IF budget allows, Id definitely go with the 2g.

IMHO it a whole lot of camera for a first time buyer.
That said it isn't cheap for a first time buyer.
The HD movie mode is a nice feature that you won't see on many still cameras in this price range. If that extra is a make or break then the camera seems a fine choice for a beginner.
Without that feature there are other cameras that can be purchased for significantly less that can perform as well or better as a still camera. The one I own is a Fuji F50fd SE and it can be had with housing for @ $300.

Ok, I broke down and bought the HD1200..
Am headed to Japan in a few days should be able to post up a few picts after I get it in the water and then write a review.

First impressions (Above Water): HD seems stable, color seems good with good detail.

~K

The advantage of the 1G or 2G is the availability of wet lenses that can be attached or removed under water.

The 1200HD's Wide Angle and Macro lenses can be attached and removed under water.
"HI Frank-
Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, the DX-1200HD accessory lenses are able to
be changed underwater with no problem. They are in fact designed for such.
Best Regards,

----
SEA&SEA U/W Imaging
T: 562.498.3708
F: 562.498.0415
tusa.com
seaandsea.com"

I would say the main advantage of the 1G and 2G over the 1200Hd is the quality of lenses used in the camera. Also the G series has tons of manual settings, giving you the tools for a better shot.

FrankPro1,

I can't seem to find any details on the 2G from the Sea & Sea site.
Would you have a link with all the details?

~Keath

Back
Top Bottom