Sea & Sea II EX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

66gt350

Reaction score
I've been looking at getting into underwater photography, and I'd like opinions of this camera. I've done searches and couldn't find a good review. Is this a good setup, or should I be looking at a different model or even brand?

Thanks
Rob

If you have decided on a film camera, that's a good one. A 35mm camera with variable shutter speeds, choice of 3 film speeds, built in close up lens. I used one for about 5 years before going digital. It has a fixed focus lens so you'll need to learn to accurately judge distance underwater but it's not hard.

Check out Sea & Sea's website for more information.

Hi

I bought the S&S Motormarine II Ex earlier this year, and bought a 16mm wide angle lens, 1:2 macro lens and strobe to go with it.

I used it properly for the first time in August on a 2 week trip to the Red Sea and I was more than happy with what this camera is capable of producing. True, it churned out some crap but that was more to do with the photographer than the camera itself !

If you want to see some of the better photos, email me at barthur@boeinternational.com and I'll send you some - some of them I think are pretty good, but I'm certain that with practice you can get some real stunners with this camera

Ben

Dee once bubbled...
It has a fixed focus lens so you'll need to learn to accurately judge distance underwater but it's not hard.

Dee, if you go to the web site and take a look at the pix - you see that dial on the right side of the lens ( left in the pix) - that's the focus control!!! the main lens has adjustable focus from infinite down to 3ft then it selects "closeup" with a focus of 18". closeup works by inserting a small diopter behind the main lens.

i'd recommend the 3T macro lens instead of the 2T. but the 16mm is a great add on, so is the 20.

James....maybe my terminology sucks! Fixed focus to me means that it's not automatic. It's fixed to specific points of distance.

I know about the focus control knob and used it on every shot! But the focus is still dependant on you being at the right distance from the subject vs. the auto focus of digital camera where the camera focuses for you without you needing to worry about whether you've set the knob properly or even remembered to do change it, you are too close/too faraway, etc.

Dee once bubbled...
James....maybe my terminology sucks! Fixed focus to me means that it's not automatic. It's fixed to specific points of distance.

MANUAL focus, Dee. a fixed focus lens is a whole different animal, the s&s mx10 being an example of fixed focus.

also because the MMII(ex) is designed for use above water too it has ( effectivly ) a flat port, underwater it has the same distance distortion as your eye in a mask - if it looks like 4 ft to you, it looks like 4 ft to the camera, you don't need to make a correction for refraction!
however you do need to make the correction for manual strobe exposure! if it looks like 3 ft, it is 4ft for the light path. gees! maybe i'll give up underwater shooting!
:bonk:

Manual IS the opposite of Auto, isn't it?

gees! maybe i'll give up underwater shooting!
I've been thinking the same thing the last few days! I KNOW I'll be keeping my backward mouth shut! :eek:ut: At least I know what I mean.

We have two full set-ups of the predecessor of the MMII EX, the MMII and they are GREAT starting cameras!

Of course the advantage with the MMII Ex over the MMII s that you can actually change the shutter speed (which you cannot do with the MMII).

However, they are excellent up-gradable systems that you can build on. At one point we were going down with dual strobes and multiple lenses on the caddy. The pictures were ab-fab! :)

Actually, the last point is another very good feature of the MMIIs: being able to change lenses underwater gives you the ability to take a wide variety of shots.

Go for it! :thumb:

I have been shooting the MMII for several years in the PNW, and on occasion in the tropics. I have had the best success w/ the macro set up and the 20mm wal. You will definitely want to upgrade to an "Ultra light" or similar strobe arm, the S&S one is not as versatile as it could be.

I have been using this camera for about 4 months, and the results have been better than i initially expected. Reading the book (A new guide to sea&sea) made the difference in better understanding about how to use the camera and basic skills on underwater photography. The film selection makes a big difference as well, I have been pleased with the Agfa 100 ultra and Fuji 100 Reala, both found at adorama.com at decent prices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom