Sea & Sea YS-110a vs Inon S2000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as I know, there are only two ways to attach anything to the S2000. The first is a ball adapter (ULCS AD-IN) which attaches a 1 inch ball, the second is an adapter that can attach to a ULCS arm, looks like the bottom of a FIX focus light. I think there are two versions of this, potentially one from Inon and one from Reef themselves. I don't know what the business end of the Ikelite housings look like, but they sell some sort of converter that takes optical cables.
Bill

The two basic mounts that will connect with many different types of arms, brackets etc:

ULCS AD-IN Adapter for Inon Z-series, D-series and S-Series Strobes [ulc.ad.in] - $24.95 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Inon Z joint [ino.357] - $20.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

For Inon strobe connection to an Ikelite housing you need one of these kits, I got mine used on Ebay for a few bucks:

Inon Optical D Cable (L Type)/Cap W33 Set for Canon WP-DC9 [ino.312] - $89.95 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

What you do, look at the top left corner of the linked picture. The little "knob" looking thing in the plastic holder is the Inon cable connector, it has two holes in a small rubber plug. Twisting the cap tightens the rubber plug compressing it and holding the Inon optical cable ends tightly. Remove the connector from the plastic deflector and mount it to a Ikelite diffuser or bracket held from the diffuser holder.

I have seen the connectors sold alone without a "kit" but cannot recall, maybe Divervision or such as that.

N

Thanks guys...

Nemrod,

Thanks for the advice. When I called reef photo and asked them about your suggestion: Inon Optical D Cable (L Type) Cap W33 Set for Canon WP-DC9, they told me that I need Fiber Optic Cable Adapter Set for Compact Digicams (search keywords: rpv foa) and Inon Optical D Cable (43 cm L Type) instead.

Does your setup need any adjustments to fit into Ikelite s90 housing? I like your suggestion better since it does not glues to the housing and also shields the internal flash. What do you think about reef photo variant?

Thanks

Nemrod,

Thanks for the advice. When I called reef photo and asked them about your suggestion: Inon Optical D Cable (L Type) Cap W33 Set for Canon WP-DC9, they told me that I need Fiber Optic Cable Adapter Set for Compact Digicams (search keywords: rpv foa) and Inon Optical D Cable (43 cm L Type) instead.

Does your setup need any adjustments to fit into Ikelite S90 housing? I like your suggestion better since it does not glues to the housing and also shields the internal flash. What do you think about reef photo variant?

Thanks

Yeah, it makes sense but what I am saying is all you need is the cable and cap and the little "thingy I pointed out. I was suggesting either acquiring the "thingy" alone or as part of ANY--ANY Inon set similar to the one i suggested in order to get the "thingy".

Here you can see the Inon "thingy" attached to my DIY flash shield, you could attach it as well with epoxy to the Ikelite provided shield but I preferred a more elegant solution:

DSCF0009.jpg

Did Reef offer a part number for the kit they suggested? Reef does not understand that I am averse to Velcro and glue and that I am telling you to get the Inon kit just to source the "thingy" for a DIY project and I don't think you understand either.

Here is another pic showing the "thingy" on the Canon DC-12 and the Ikelite. The "thingy" is a connector with a compression nut that tightens against a rubber plug that has two small holes into which the cables can be slipped. There is also a small reflector to direct the light from the strobe into the cable ends. I do not know if you can get the "thingy" alone which is why I suggested acquiring any Inon kit that has one included and then you DIY.

DSCF0002.jpg

The little knob looking thingy is the "thingy" I am discussing. I do not do Velcro, tape, glue, spit, wire etc., it has to look factory, so that is what I did and of course it works very well and never falls off. The black shield on my Ikelite is an aluminum DIY version which was made using the Ikelite piece as a template but I added a 90 degree bend at the top edge, drilled a hole for the "thingy" and away I went.

N

I have adapters, arms, trays and cords (Including hard to find dual sync cords) for Inon strobes as well. My Flat Tray works well with the UltraCompact Housings like the s90. There's an option to include the special screws you need.

Flat-Tray-Set1.jpg

Fiber-Opt-2x-Inon.jpg

I have diffuser sync cord clamps and other parts as well.
F-O-Diff-2x-adapt.jpg

In the near future S&S will have the YS-01 to compete with the s2000.

Jack

I am working on my first UW rig and comparing the two strobes as well...leaning towards 2 s2000's instead of 1 YS-110a. Newbie question...I am assuming the IKE housing can support 2 strobes, how is this wired up?

I missed the above post...is this Dual Sync cable what I need to connect 2 s2000's...Thanks!

Yes, just velcros on the front of the housing. I use electrical tape on the inside of the housing to block it's flash.

Jack

I missed the above post...is this Dual Sync cable what I need to connect 2 s2000's...Thanks!

Optical sync strobes do not need a "dual" cable, each strobe has an optical cable that plugs into a rubber socket. the Inon strobe optical cables are supplied, one per strobe and usually used, one per strobe. Usually the rubber socket (the Inon version has a silver nut on top to allow tightening to compress the rubber and pinch the cable) has two holes in it, one each per strobe. So, any connector that will accept two cables should work, I guess.

Like I said, I don't do the Velcro thing, I am sure it works, just not for me. The white clamp looking device that Mr. Jack sells looks like it might be nifty.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom