Sea Shepherd condemned by International Whaling Commission.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course not! :rofl3:

And they probably wouldn't link foreign aid to abortion issues or abstinence programs or other stuff like that either! :D

At least you understand that Japan is strong arming these poorer countries.
:shakehead:
Oh please....get real. Why would anyone give money away to people who act against their national interest? (and that IS how the Japanese view this)

And you know - Japan actually gives loads of money to lots of countries that DO vote against them over the whaling issue. It's really not as cut and dried/black or white as many seem to want to paint it. Japan gives aid to around 150 countries. If that was all tied to votes the moratorium would have been lifted years ago.

The real truth is that the IWC exists to REGULATE whaling....not BAN it. One has to really wonder who exactly is twisting intention and purpose in this.

I'm beginning to think the Japanese would be better off following the examples of Norway & Iceland and simply withdrawing from the IWC. Maybe they could form a new organisation with Norway & Iceland to plan sustainable use of the resource. It doesn't really look like anyone else is interested in that. I mean....why would they be?...they don't eat whale! :wink:

Personally I have followed the IWC for some time and what may have once been a real effort to prevent whaling is now nothing more then a "Save the Manatee" style organization that produces little result. Whaling is a violent act that kills a spectacular and endangered animal. I don't care if the Japanese are killing whales for research, food, or blubber they shouldn't be killing them at all for any reason. Read about what kind of research the Japanese are doing on whales, it's disgusting and in no way shape or form is out to help the whales!

Sea Shepard's radical approach to conservation works. Sadly sitting back and saying, "Man I love whales, I sure wish the Japanese would stop killing them" doesn't work. To call Sea Shepard pirates or terrorists is like calling Steve Irwin and Dianne Fossey the same thing! If people are literally stupid enough to, in any way, try to defend the Japanese whaling industry and demonize Sea Shepard or any active oceanic conservation group maybe they need to have their heads removed from their rears and find another sport while they are at it.

If people are literally stupid enough to, in any way, try to defend the Japanese whaling industry and demonize Sea Shepard or any active oceanic conservation group maybe they need to have their heads removed from their rears and find another sport while they are at it.
Did God die and put you in charge?

Grow up.

Sea Shepherd are a bunch of idiots that need to be arrested, prosecuted, and jailed.

Personally I have followed the IWC for some time and what may have once been a real effort to prevent whaling is now nothing more then a "Save the Manatee" style organization that produces little result. Whaling is a violent act that kills a spectacular and endangered animal. I don't care if the Japanese are killing whales for research, food, or blubber they shouldn't be killing them at all for any reason. Read about what kind of research the Japanese are doing on whales, it's disgusting and in no way shape or form is out to help the whales!

Sea Shepard's radical approach to conservation works. Sadly sitting back and saying, "Man I love whales, I sure wish the Japanese would stop killing them" doesn't work. To call Sea Shepard pirates or terrorists is like calling Steve Irwin and Dianne Fossey the same thing! If people are literally stupid enough to, in any way, try to defend the Japanese whaling industry and demonize Sea Shepard or any active oceanic conservation group maybe they need to have their heads removed from their rears and find another sport while they are at it.

Yawn.

Once you remove the whales from the equation its pretty easy to see that the Sea sheperd is endangering the lives of those aboard the fishing ship. The shepard is attacking the crew and the crew of the fishing boat has the right to defend itself.

If you want to protest then protest. If you want to interfere then do it in a safe manner. If you want to endanger the saftey and well being of anyone then go to jail.

Once you remove the whales from the equation its pretty easy to see that the Sea sheperd is endangering the lives of those aboard the fishing ship. The shepard is attacking the crew and the crew of the fishing boat has the right to defend itself.

If you want to protest then protest. If you want to interfere then do it in a safe manner. If you want to endanger the saftey and well being of anyone then go to jail.
Exactly. There appears to be a fair number of people with the "end justifies the means" attitude though.

Personally I hold human life in higher regard than whales - as does the law.

In spite of the continual hijack by the anti-whaling folk in this thread, the IWC statement isn't anything to do with the pros or cons of whaling. It's about safety and the breaking of International maritme law.

There was recently some polling in Japan that showed people weren't in favor of whaling if it relied on government subsidies. And guess what, it relies on government subsidies.

Whaling isn't very profitable. The historical, nationalistic arguments fall to the wayside when people realize they are paying for the whale curry whether or not they buy it.

However, there is a misconception about current japanese whaling. Antarctic Minke whales are not endangered! Estimates for their numbers are in the hundreds of thousands. The japanese take less than one thousand.

I think the days of whaling are numbered though since its just not self-sustainable. It can't pay for itself.

There was recently some polling in Japan that showed people weren't in favor of whaling if it relied on government subsidies. And guess what, it relies on government subsidies.

Whaling isn't very profitable. The historical, nationalistic arguments fall to the wayside when people realize they are paying for the whale curry whether or not they buy it.

However, there is a misconception about current japanese whaling. Antarctic Minke whales are not endangered! Estimates for their numbers are in the hundreds of thousands. The japanese take less than one thousand.

I think the days of whaling are numbered though since its just not self-sustainable. It can't pay for itself.
Now I'm reading something real.

Arguments like this have a chance to change modern Japanese perceptions. Sea Shepherd just hardens attitudes, and prevents a solution. They're worse than ineffective - they're counter-productive.

I argue this crap in Japanese school staff rooms. Mercury and money work a LOT better than eco-terrorists!!! :wink:

Spot on.

Of course not! :rofl3:

And they probably wouldn't link foreign aid to abortion issues or abstinence programs or other stuff like that either! :D[/QUOTE

At least you dont try and deny that Japan is strong arming these poorer countries.
:shakehead:

is there something wrong with that? I reserve my stance on the issue of economic incentives, but I'd be interested in hearing any logic behind yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom