sea-sickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too have sea sickness issues and also didn't like the side effects of the patch. I've tried pretty much everything. I now use scopace (http://www.motionsickness.net/), which is a pill form of the active ingredient in the patch and it is available by prescription only. I take one pill for less rough and two for rougher water. I take the pill(s) about half an hour before getting on the boat and it's worked very well--with occasional slight dry mouth as the only side effect. The medicine works for 8 or 9 hours and then is out of your system. I stay outside of the cabin, look at the horizon, etc., etc. and since I started using scopace I've been doing much better.

Steve

I get seasick walking in the rain! I've even thrown up through my reg....I have tried everything even the witch doctor stuff like that electronic zapper on your wrist....Last year some people swore that Gravol was the greatest thing ever....bought 100 tabs in Costa Rica.....I threw up with that!....I even went to my ENT he said the only drug he suggests is Meclizine....after 2 days of that I'm sleeping 10 hours a day....and the only time I really wake up is when I hit the water......What I do now is take one tablet the early morning I am going out to see if I get my sea leggs....and then only take one in the am....if the water if rolling.

I get Meclizine at Costco...it is behind the counter and very cheap.....

Well, I'll tell ya what... I've got a ton of things and combinations to try when the water warms up here in NJ. I also got a ton of laughs at the responses. I don't feel as much out of place...I was getting a little depressed and frustrated over the whole thing especially when we wanted to take the Galapagus trip. It would have been one thing if I never dove... but the bug is there and it is so dissapointing to only be able to do 1 of 2 morning/afternoon dives let alone expensive. The diseal (sp) fumes are probably making things worse...maybe I could become a millionaire making an air "head-bubble" so we don't inhale it. I am searching everyones ideas and websites... Also a trick may be to stay out of 4-6' seas aswell, but when you are feaning ya gotta go with it.:shakehead

Im keeping an eye on other suggestions... keep em comin'
Puke-girl

Ah, I see you got a lot of good replies here after all. For some reason, whenever I see a thead headed to the bottom of the pages with few replies and post on it myself - usually a lot of others will. Guess they feel they need to come over to correct my posts? :rofl3: Anyway, glad you got a lot of suggestions, but also try the search I suggested for more views.
rkru:
My brother-in-law suffers from the worst case of sea sickness I've ever seen. He now takes a drug called stugeron which has fixed the problem completely. You can't get it in the U.S., but he buys some every time he goes to Mexico.
Wonder what the penalty for getting caught by customs is? :11:

DandyDon:
Anyway, glad you got a lot of suggestions, but also try the search I suggested for more views.

Wonder what the penalty for getting caught by customs is? :11:

I've been searching those "key titles" all night... lots of good info including http://www.motionsickness.net/ as soon as it warms up a bit I'M TRYING EM' ALL!!!

And if crossing the border would work I'm there Amigo.

Puke girl:l:

JillGadget:
Don't know the best place to post this, so here it goes...
I get sea sick.. Im fine during the summer (calm) months in the keys just using the patch. It's DURING THE WINTER (ROUGH) months that I am having a terrible problem. It comes on almost instantly once I put the wetsuit on. Almost as if I can't handle the closeness around my neck. The patch (during the rough - 5-6ft seas) doesnt work, nor does Bonine.

Thanks,
signed, puke girl... ( a little nick-name Ive been given... can you feel the love?):rofl3:

Are we talking about the same "patch" http://www.transdermscop.com
I know everyone is different but this worked for me during a 3 day tuna fishing trip and the last 2 days the seas were 8' - 12', very rough. In fact I was 100% fine, able to eat, even read during down time.

Ditto - my wife does this and it works for her - also look into the wristbands if you haven't as well - holistic cures are usually good - take it early, stay in the open, stay away from diesel fumes (my personal Achilles heel) - try and be first in the drink and last out

draperb@hcsmail.com:
A old sea captian's trick is to just use Ginger instead of Bonine. Ginger natually helps sooth sea sickness. A key thing to remember is not to over do the ginger or bonine or dramamine because it will temporarly lose it's effectivness. Also I tend not to dive on days where it's 5-6' seas. 4 foot seas are usually my max, unless it's a huge boat but you still have the hassle of getting back on the boat.

The key to using bonine or dramamine or even ginger is to take it early. I'd give it an hour or two to take effect before jumping on a boat, also drink water/poweraid and bring a snack. Also, remember to bring more dramamine with you to take before the first dose wares off.

JillGadget:
I've been searching those "key titles" all night... lots of good info including http://www.motionsickness.net/ as soon as it warms up a bit I'M TRYING EM' ALL!!!

And if crossing the border would work I'm there Amigo.

Puke girl:l:

I have heard of one drug that is supposed to be a sure thing it is called Zolfan...Cancer patients take it....I have had a couple of friends who took it going out to the Cocos it worked for them and they got caught in a storm....but it can have very nasty side effects...

The transderm scopalamine patch works fine for me, and I'm very prone to seasickness. Much like dramamine or bonine, it's important you put it on the night before you dive to get the medicien in your system.

Good luck Jill.

My husband gets seasick if he doesn't get enough sleep the night before. He usually never has breakfast, so it's not something he ate.

Are you getting enough sleep?

On our last trip he discovered Triptone. You take it before bed, then you take another in the morning before the trip. It worked like a charm for him, and the seas were choppy on that trip, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom