Sea Tiger Penetration to Engine Room

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Today's dive aboard the Elysium was memorable for me because I have wanted to make it back to the engine room of The Sea Tiger and get some shots for a while now. Well, the right people came together and our friend Captain Alex facilitated this dive for us. Thanks, Alex for always helping me with my wish list and hosting my friend Lisa!

The Sea Tiger has a notorious past as a smuggling vessel for Chinese immigrants. She was forcibly retired by Customs and Immigration , and eventually sunk as an artificial reef. 168 ft long, she rests on the ocean floor at about 127 ft. It is said that this is the deepest regularly dived wreck in Hawaii.

We set out this morning to enter the engine room which is 116 ft deep. Lisa, Captain Cris and I planned the dive and I had Alex draw a nice schematic yesterday. We entered through the port side and dropped three deck levels to the engine and checked out the electrical banks. I was pre-occupied with the beautiful lighting coming through the overhead hatches. My images have a lot of backscatter. The bit of rust we managed to stir up, while not really noticeable at the time, created bright orange backscatter once the strobe fired. Next time, we plan to optimize the lighting and maybe even shoot natural light only, with torches. I could have used a bit more bottom time. (an old story!)

I am eager to go back! After the penetration, I went to the bottom to shoot the ship looking up and bought myself a little deco time. My mind took no field trips, and I stayed on task! Any tips on how to improve the images next time, greatly appreciated! I think my 10.5 once I get the port will make for a killer perspective.

Aloha

nice pictures! The wreck looks devoid of fish.

Wow. Now I'm really jealous, I can't dive for 2 more weeks! Seriously Catherine, GREAT shots. You've outdone yourself this time. Good job.

Don't even THINK about renting my 8" port now...:wink:

dumpsterDiver:
nice pictures! The wreck looks devoid of fish.

This wreck has been down since 1999, less than some of the others. It had a resident turtle, does that count? Lots of fish on the outside, but deep in the bowels...well, not many in there because it is a bit closed off.

Dennis, how did you know, I shot program? Look...I did not have time to be messing around in there buster. ...I was ..task loaded. Trying not to get stuck, trying to remember why I was there in the first place.

Excellent pics Catherine, thanks for letting me tag along!! I would also like to thank Captain Alex for his hospitality and generosity. Great boat and fun crew :D

it was a most excellent dive...great vis, everything fell into place. That said, naturally my camera didn't work...and I found an interesting fish, lots of nudis and a different starfish than the usual ones we fine. Murphy strikes again....go figure, I guess it just means we have to go there again :wink:

The site often has big schools of fish and then the next day they're gone. We often have eagle rays there and occasionally a shark.

catherine96821:
Today's dive aboard the Elysium was memorable for me because I have wanted to make it back to the engine room of The Sea Tiger and get some shots for a while now. Well, the right people came together and our friend Captain Alex facilitated this dive for us. Thanks, Alex for always helping me with my wish list and hosting my friend Lisa!

The Sea Tiger has a notorious past as a smuggling vessel for Chinese immigrants. She was forcibly retired by Customs and Immigration , and eventually sunk as an artificial reef. 168 ft long, she rests on the ocean floor at about 127 ft. It is said that this is the deepest regularly dived wreck in Hawaii.

We set out this morning to enter the engine room which is 116 ft deep. Lisa, Captain Cris and I planned the dive and I had Alex draw a nice schematic yesterday. We entered through the port side and dropped three deck levels to the engine and checked out the electrical banks. I was pre-occupied with the beautiful lighting coming through the overhead hatches. My images have a lot of backscatter. The bit of rust we managed to stir up, while not really noticeable at the time, created bright orange backscatter once the strobe fired. Next time, we plan to optimize the lighting and maybe even shoot natural light only, with torches. I could have used a bit more bottom time. (an old story!)

I am eager to go back! After the penetration, I went to the bottom to shoot the ship looking up and bought myself a little deco time. My mind took no field trips, and I stayed on task! Any tips on how to improve the images next time, greatly appreciated! I think my 10.5 once I get the port will make for a killer perspective.

Aloha

Great photos and some nice composition Catherine..

Particularly fond of the b&w one.., seems that what they say about having a diver to provide a sense of scale with wreck photos really make a difference..

Prefer the exterior shots of the wreck, less backscatter for one.., Although I think the 6th photo with the silhouette of the diver in the window/doorway is quite atmospheric..

Foot tapping.....waiting....

Palau-an "Wilson" told some funny stories...oh my gosh, I laughed so hard.

Lisa, "Mod God" diving with commoners. She is one cool customer.

thanks, Jam. I have a photo plan for next time!

catherine96821:
Foot tapping.....waiting....

Palau-an "Wilson" told some funny stories...oh my gosh, I laughed so hard. Lisa, Mod God diving with commoners.

Your images have an interesting look to them almost film like....
What sort of post processing did you use on them and what are you shooting with?

ahhh....my little secret only people that shoot on program mode know about...."Picasa" free Google download. "The I am Feeling Lucky Button" rocks. It is not just about the pictures, it's about the fact that I successfully overcame my mind and went in there even though I don't like small enclosed places. I think I might have conquered that a bit. And then! Check this out. This woman, she knew what she was doing. I went over with that big camera and she said "hey you're not putting that picture somewhere about not killing marlins or anything are you?" she had a big knife too, so I said "hey I don't look like that type do I?

PS. Are we allowed to talk story in "wreck diving" or should I be over in the Talk Story sipping kava kava, this Blue Marlin weighed in at 300 lbs. She said they have small (up to 300) and big (over 300). No mediums. She pulled a whole parrot fish out of his stomach and then she fed the guts to her pet mantas who hang around off her dock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom