Seac drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes I have a DUI Tls 350. The shell suits use lofty undergarments for insulation while in the North Florida caves with 69-72 degree water I can dive with Merino Wool hiking underwear with my crushed neoprene drysuit even though it is a pos Pinnacle Black Ice and the seams can't be fixed due to the stupid idea of laminating Merino Wool to the inside of it. I definitely do not have to put anywhere near the air into my neoprene suit that I do my DUI. Managing the air bubble in the DUI is not extremely hard but definitely is something that I don't have to do in my neoprene suit.

The seams can be fixed if you know how. We charge a TON of money to do it, not because it's an expensive fix, it just takes alot of time. No problem sharing if needed, we prefer not to do it because of the time suck. But, if it were my own suit, time is easier. The wool does make it a challenge, there is no doubt about it, but it 10000% can be done and we have done it many times when others have failed.

Maybe that's a difference. I am using my suits in the local quarry, where it's usually 37 -38F on the bottom. But, my undergarments are Fourth Element Arctic gear which are not what I'd call "lofty". Very warm, but totally not puffy like some other undies I've seen. I'd almost describe them as "dense". Thick and heavy. Warm, without holding so much air.

In 69F water, I would also just wear Merino hiking type underwear - under my shell suit.

My neo suit does not squeeze down and feel like it's shrink-wrapped onto my body the way my shell suit does. Thus, it always seems like it has that little bit of extra air inside that is in the nooks and crannies of the neoprene that doesn't squeeze down like the shell does.

The reason is it's thicker. This causes it to not wrap into the nooks and crannies around you. It's like going to bed in a sheet vs. a comforter. The sheet sticks to you and forms more to your body. The comforter can't get all the way tight on your body and leaves more gaps. Weird analogy, but that's what popped into my head..ha ha, maybe I'm tired. :D

The seams can be fixed if you know how. We charge a TON of money to do it, not because it's an expensive fix, it just takes alot of time. No problem sharing if needed, we prefer not to do it because of the time suck. But, if it were my own suit, time is easier. The wool does make it a challenge, there is no doubt about it, but it 10000% can be done and we have done it many times when others have failed.

Good to know but I am guessing it would cost more than I can buy a new suit for if it is that time consuming. I have a buddy who has a suit Pinnacle tried to repair and they couldn't even fix it.

Well, it's just a couple tubes of aquaseal and your time. Just depends on what that's worth :wink:

Correct, Pinnacle has a hard time fixing them too.

Are you saying coat the outside of the seams with Aquaseal? I have done that and the inside too. It works for a few dives but starts leaking again. Steve Gamble told me he has not been able to fix them permanently either . It is a bad design.

Nope, there are a couple different ways. I know Steve says you can't do almost anything to that suit, and we've done it all :wink:

Not to hijack this thread, send me an email and we can go over more of this. mike@diverightinscuba.com

Thanks for the input guys. the shop owner is also my instructor and we have become friends I don't think he's robbing me but he is a small shop, I think seac is robbing him. he does offer the class for free of I buy from him. I'm not impressed with Seac or their customer service I think I'd rather spend the same money on a better suited and pay him for the class.

Back
Top Bottom