Seacure mouthpiece and donating your primary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As mentioned, DIR discourages SeaCure mouthpieces because they are not good pieces of team equipment. The biggest issue is that the flanges are quite long, and can induce a gag reflex. It is possible to trim them shorter, however. The custom nature of the mouthpiece would still not be DIR, but the biggest problem would be averted.

An OOA diver, if not extensively trained, is probably very close to the edge of panic. Putting something in his mouth and gagging might be the last straw to make him reject the reg and bolt. The gag reflex is a difficult one to override, and I'm quite sure it's not something someone who is frightened would be able to accomplish.

I have a terrible, terrible, gag reflex. The newer versions of the Apeks Comfo-Bite mouthpieces (the semi-translucent ones) make me gag something awful. The older ones, all black, are great. They're exactly the same design but the differences in material just throw me off.

I'm fairly certain the SeaCure mouthpieces would make me gag.

I was joking around (hence the smiley) - by following Rule #1 I would already be on the surface... probably in the bar. :D

Dohh......My bad

Though I thought you were, But I didn't catch the rule #1, My bad:D

Here is another funny part to that dive buddy, She does get sick on the surface, She gets sea-sick in the bath tub:rofl3:

While wrapping up my NAUI DM cert, I got to do some buddy breathing (yes, single second-stage) with one of the instructors. He had a Seacure mouthpiece, so I finally have an informed opinion on them.

(Oh, I guess I should mention it, then, eh? :biggrin:)

It was certainly uncomfortable, but it was certainly passable. I wouldn't want to have to deal with it every dive (as I'd have to for S-drills, for example), but I didn't find it in any way unworkable for a potential air-sharing incident. In fact, if you're sharing air with it, about the worst thing I can think of is that your jaw will be sore after the dive if you're really biting the tar out of it. As you'll probably be uncomfortable anyway (assuming the reason you're breathing it is that your buddy has it on a short hose with an integrated inflocto as his alternate), I don't really think the difference is likely to be significant.

Seacure mouthpiece is not DIR compliant.

Why is that? From what I can see on the Seacure website, the mouthpieces are no different than regular ones, other than they're fine-fitted to a person's jaw. But just from looking at it, I can't seem to see why it would be unusable by a different person. Confused...

Edit: i guess TSandM answered my question.

I have a different rule and those who dive with me can accept it or dive with someone else. You can grab my secondary second stage or my pony reg either one without asking - and I do keep my on in the water, I will understand and we will cooperate with a standard OOA sequence. Do Not grab the Manta in my mouth as it ain't coming out! Take the easy ones.

I know that more experienced divers than I teach donating primary, but I object on other reasons: Then you have two divers with no regs in their mouth until the problem is solved.

What would I do if the diver did grab the Manta reg out of my mouth? I'd grab my pony reg or my secondary for the OOA until I got back to the boat with the diver - then chew his butt out for putting me at risk. :mad: I hope he knows how to insert a Manta mouthpiece.

DITTO! I personally don't understand how this "everybody switch mouthpieces" technique came up for OOA or how it is supposed to be superior to offering the OOA diver your octopus (with a longer hose; just the thing for this type of situation, IMHO . . .) but, in my case they are going to have to take the octo because I dive a doublehose Royal Aquamaster quite often and it has an octo available on that.

DITTO! I personally don't understand how this "everybody switch mouthpieces" technique came up for OOA or how it is supposed to be superior to offering the OOA diver your octopus (with a longer hose; just the thing for this type of situation, IMHO . . .)

Well, once upon a time there was a boy called William Hogarth Main...

DITTO! I personally don't understand how this "everybody switch mouthpieces" technique came up for OOA or how it is supposed to be superior to offering the OOA diver your octopus (with a longer hose; just the thing for this type of situation, IMHO . . .) but, in my case they are going to have to take the octo because I dive a doublehose Royal Aquamaster quite often and it has an octo available on that.
Gentlemen,

let's stay on topic here...
If you had a Seacure mouthpiece, would you really, really want to have that donated to you?

What does DIR say about Seacure?

See: The Hogarthian Gear Configuration
Gentlemen,

let's stay on topic here...
And now back to the original subject...

Why does no one else like Manta mouthpieces? Only because you don't know about them? Or do you? Manta Bite, a Revolutionary Scuba Mouthpiece :: Dive with a Manta :: Manta-bite.com

2ihx8w1.jpg

My buddy got a Sea Cure and improved his air consumption by 25% as he could finally relax, but while the Manta looks odd - once you bend the wings back for insertion, it's there effortlessly. 30 money back return policy...!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom