Seal Clubbing - What do Canadian Divers Think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wardric:
babyseals2.jpg

Wardric, oh this one is classic...:rofl3: :rofl3:

funkyspelunker:
It seems like some here are much more knowledgeable than I am on the subject, so please forgive this stupid question:

If cod populations are endangered, wouldn't it make more sense to stop overfishing them, rather than clubbing their natural predators to death?

Secondly, even if it is 'necessary' to control the seal population - isn't there a more humane way to do it? I realize that there are other species around the world that carry with them the same problem, such as kangaroos in Australia. However, most if not all of these overpopulation problems are largely a result of human activity.

There is no cod fishing in Eastern Canada anymore.

As posted before, this is information on the killing method...

Myth #3: The club – or hakapik – is a barbaric and inhumane tool that has no place in today’s world.

Reality: Hunting methods were studied by the Royal Commission on Seals and Sealing in Canada and it found that the clubbing of seals, when properly performed, is at least as humane as, and often more humane than, the killing methods used in commercial slaughterhouses, which are accepted by the majority of the public.

Clubs have been used by sealers since the onset of the hunt hundreds of years ago. Hakapiks originated with Norwegian sealers who found it very effective. A 2002 report published in the Canadian Veterinary Journal found that the club or hakapik is an efficient tool designed to kill the animal quickly and humanely.

Dennis, think of the export potential on the hakapik... Have you guys thought about finding a Japanese distributor?:eyebrow: Maybe also send a few free samples to the Aussies to try on Skippy...

:joke:

pakman:
Dennis, think of the export potential on the hakapik... Have you guys thought about finding a Japanese distributor?:eyebrow: Maybe also send a few free samples to the Aussies to try on Skippy...

:joke:

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Actually, I was thinking I could use one here...:wink:

Diver Dennis:
:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Actually, I was thinking I could use one here...:wink:

to give out to the mods? think how quickly they could kill mindless threads with that. Of course in a very humane way... :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom