Seal Clubbing - What do Canadian Divers Think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I guess the consensus opinion on this subject is pretty obvious.

I'm not going to get all high and mighty on y'all, even though I happen to like the seals in my local waters.

I have played that game on newgrounds.com before, and laughed when I played it (it was many years ago now). Like all video games though, it can be fun to do things in the game that you wouldn't necessarily find fun to do in real life. Though I must admit some of you here would probably enjoy that to a great degree as well, from the sounds of it! :eyebrow:

Thanks for the responses. I learned quite a few things, not only about seals and population, etc., but also about how people view the practice of clubbing them.

funkyspelunker:
Well, I guess the consensus opinion on this subject is pretty obvious.

I'm not going to get all high and mighty on y'all, even though I happen to like the seals in my local waters.

I have played that game on newgrounds.com before, and laughed when I played it (it was many years ago now). Like all video games though, it can be fun to do things in the game that you wouldn't necessarily find fun to do in real life. Though I must admit some of you here would probably enjoy that to a great degree as well, from the sounds of it! :eyebrow:

Thanks for the responses. I learned quite a few things, not only about seals and population, etc., but also about how people view the practice of clubbing them.

I think you're missing our point.:blinking:

We actually like seals as well and it isn't a mater of wishing then harm, the opposit in fact. What you are seeing is a somewhat more pragmatic "country mouse" approach to the relationship of animals and humans when it comes to harvesting and control versus a "city mouse" approach that hasn't ever had the need to approach animals that way because the "country mouse" does it for you.

cerich:
funny thing is, the true problem, be it the dolphins in japan, seals and cod in Canada, the real root cause is us humans.

Maybe the poll should be

Are you willing to commit suicide to help save the environment?:popcorn:

I've used this comment many times in my "discussions" with animal rights activists here in Alaska. I have never had any takers. Most are not even willing to alter their own lifestyle, which they consider the standard to judge all others.

We have seal in the atlantic portion of my province. It's called Gaspésie and I dived there last year. To see my first gracefull seal meet me at 60' deep was one of the nicest thing I ever saw while diving. They are very playful and like to play with our fins. I love seals as I love any animal on this earth.

Like deer. I like to see them all year long, but that doesn't stop me from hunting them during fall. I see myself as part of the ecosystem (circle of life sounds too much "Lion King" :wink:), I happen to eat meat. I feel less hypocrit when I kill what I eat myself instead of letting others do the dirty job. I do it with all the respect for my prey that it deserve. I do my best so it will suffer the least. The kill part is the one I like the less in deer hunting, but it's part of it. Tracking, shooting, preparing the meat and eating it.

Would I "enjoy" clubbing a seal? surely not. Do I find it acceptable and necessary? Yes. And I have great respect for the ones who chose to do it.

wardric:
We have seal in the atlantic portion of my province. It's called Gaspésie and I dived there last year. To see my first gracefull seal meet me at 60' deep was one of the nicest thing I ever saw while diving. They are very playful and like to play with our fins. I love seals as I love any animal on this earth.

Like deer. I like to see them all year long, but that doesn't stop me from hunting them during fall. I see myself as part of the ecosystem (circle of life sounds too much "Lion King" :wink:), I happen to eat meat. I feel less hypocrit when I kill what I eat myself instead of letting others do the dirty job. I do it with all the respect for my prey that it deserve. I do my best so it will suffer the least. The kill part is the one I like the less in deer hunting, but it's part of it. Tracking, shooting, preparing the meat and eating it.

Would I "enjoy" clubbing a seal? surely not. Do I find it acceptable and necessary? Yes. And I have great respect for the ones who chose to do it.

Wow, I guess you learn something new every day. I didn't know that people hunted seals - as in - just one, to eat. I guess us 'city mice' only see the videos of them being clubbed, one after another. Kudos to you if you eat the whole damn thing, then make some seal skin slippers out of the skin. I figure, if you're going to kill em, might as well do so for good reason. So, for your purposes - do you still hunt the young ones, or do you go for the larger/older ones?

You do have to admit though, this is quite different than the mass harvesting where they simply skin the best part of the young seals, leaving the carcasses to freeze/decay on the ice. Am I right?

funkyspelunker:
Wow, I guess you learn something new every day. I didn't know that people hunted seals - as in - just one, to eat. I guess us 'city mice' only see the videos of them being clubbed, one after another. Kudos to you if you eat the whole damn thing, then make some seal skin slippers out of the skin. I figure, if you're going to kill em, might as well do so for good reason. So, for your purposes - do you still hunt the young ones, or do you go for the larger/older ones?

You do have to admit though, this is quite different than the mass harvesting where they simply skin the best part of the young seals, leaving the carcasses to freeze/decay on the ice. Am I right?

Maybe it's the language barrier but I dont understand your post. :huh:

I never said I hunted seals, I said deer. When I wrote: Like deer. I like to see them all year long, but that doesn't stop me from hunting them... "them" refered to deers. there's a dot after deer, not a ","

If I would kill a seal, (which I never did), you bet there would not be much left of it. I try to waste the least possible.

Your second paragraph is unfortunately taken from the video propaganda.
You say mass killing because it's in a concentrated area but in numbers, it does not exceed many other hunted animals. And when deer are killed, where do you think we put the guts? It's left in the forest and of course, it's not as visual as it would be on white ice or snow. And even on the ice, it will not rot since it becomes a source of food for scavenger birds and foxes. Nothing is ever lost for everyone on this lovely planet. :)

Since it seems to me from your last posts that you either dont read our posts correctly or want to bait us, I think you might be trolling just a bit so I will not reply anymore if it looks like a bait :sigh: If you're not trolling, then it's just a misunderstanding and all is well.

I am A ok with the seal hunt. I currently dive for Fish Farms in east nova scotia, i see first hand the damage a seal can do. 1 seal gets into a salmon cage and will kill 2000 fish just eating there liver and leaving the rest of the fish to rot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom