Seal Clubbing - What do Canadian Divers Think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeanQ:
Ask a pacific salmon fisherman about the damage farms are doing to wild stock.

There's a good topic for a new thread.

what kind of damage?? i didnt think they hurt them at all, they just sit in there cages eat grow get harvested.

Not to be argumentative, Brand0n, but something struck me as ironic when I read your post about how "1 seal gets into a salmon cage and will kill 2000 fish just eating there liver and leaving the rest of the fish to rot."
Similar to: 1 sealer gets onto the ice and will kill ***enter quota figure here* seals just pelting their hides for their fur and leaving the rest of the seal to rot.
Hmmm...
Again, my beef is just how humanely the execution is carried out, and not fully using the animal. BTW, NB salmon from farms rule (mouth watering...), never had NS products, though.

well then they kill the fish for the liver, we kill them for the pelt,it all works out.

I caught this one in one of the farms, gonna feed me for a week

Brand0n:
what kind of damage?? i didnt think they hurt them at all, they just sit in there cages eat grow get harvested.

In an ideal world, they would. The salmon farmed here not are Salmo salar, which is not native to the area. Unfortunatly, they can frequently escape from the pens and compete with the wild species. Aside from competition, the farms are breeding grounds for pathogens, primarily sea lice and bacteria, which spread to the pacific salmon.

http://www.raincoastresearch.org/home.htm

I don't know about the situation on the east coast; but, you couldn't pay me to eat farmed salmon from BC.

Well here on the east coast i have not seen one salmon with sea lice most fish look healthy except a few football shaped fish and fish with giant kinks.

jumbo:
I dont know about you guys but I hunt with mace and a mag lite

How do you kill seals with mace and a maglite?? :rofl3:

Brand0n:
Well here on the east coast i have not seen one salmon with sea lice most fish look healthy except a few football shaped fish and fish with giant kinks.
Sadly for you and your argument, you dont SEE all the parasites fish get, just like you dont SEE the virus and bacteria that make you sick..

If you want to discuss animal cruelty however, you can skip right past whaling, seal clobbering, hunting, fishing and the rest and go for the bullfighting...

Tigerman:
If you want to discuss animal cruelty however, you can skip right past whaling, seal clobbering, hunting, fishing and the rest and go for the bullfighting...

Couldn't agree more with you here...excellent point. It goes on all the time, every year.
BTW, Brand0n, nice lookin' fish! How much did it weigh?
My wife's uncle works (management member, I believe) at a salmon farm in St.Stephen's, NB (I think this is accurate)...I know they live in St.George. Anyway,...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom