SeaQuest Pro QD i3 evaluation...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting to read about the pro QD i3 as I've just started doing some research into buying one.

2 questions if any one can help!

1. What is the octo pocket like (used for storeing your octopus in apparently) as I can not see it in the pictures?
2. What is the dry weight of it? I currently use a Seaquest Lattitude. Does any one know how it compares as I travel a lot?

Many thanks

The octo pocket is like you mentioned to store your octo on your right side in case of an emergency...

Aqualung placed it here to keep you streamlined and so it doesn't find itself dragging on the corals or sand...

They recommend the ABS octo which comes with a 40 inch length and it follows your 1st reg nicely all the way into the pocket...

You tuck in some of the length of the hose and then the head of the octo with the mouth is pointing at you, easy access by hand...

This is nice since the octo is sandwhich between you and your BC and all you do is reach to the head and pull it out and then give it over to the OOA diver...

Two drawbacks that I found are when you first enter the water if the mouth piece is pointing up your going to free flow, need to face it down... Second drawback if you pull it out while on the surface trying to stop a free flow, it is next to impossible to tuck it back into the pocket...

You should just hand onto the clip that comes with the ABS octo and if this happens just clip it to your D-ring...

Here is a pick of the location of the octo...

9u24k1.jpg

Hope that helps you out...

MG

Wow - I must have REALLY meant it!

:whack:

Actually, it's quite nice seeing all the positive support he's getting.

There is a built-in octo pocket inside, under the right-side pocket. I think it works very well.

Not exactly sure what the dry weight is but I think its comparable to most other BCs. The i3 doesn't add any weight. I didn't see this BC in Scuba Diving magazine's travel ready BC's article a few months ago so it's probably just average weight. I don't know if I've thought this all the way through, but I think a lot of divers travel when they go diving so scuba gear and traveling go hand-in-hand. When you're carrying all this stuff, I'm not sure an extra 1-2 pounds in the BC will make a noticeable difference unless you're trying to squeeze it into your carry-on. I say go with the BC that works best and get a Samsonite Spinner and weight suddenly has no meaning.

Thanks for the comments guys & especially Mike for the help & the pictures.
I've since read a report in the Sport Diver mag in the UK who compared the BCD with 7 other similarly priced jackets including tthe Tigullio Hover, Scubapro T-Black & the 'famous' Buddy Commando & it came out top. Virtually all the 6 'expert testers' said it was the one they would buy!
The only issue that I can see is that if you needed help underwater a diver other than your buddy (buddy checks!!) would probably be looking for the normal inflater hose & would be unaware of the i3.
Still looking between the i3 & the Lattitude (£80 cheaper!)
........... Cheers!

Well I made my decision & have just bought the i3!

The only problem is I've just found out is that the red BCD knife to go with it is not available in the UK!!

Well I guess its not the end of the world to use a blue or black one but the red does look a lot neater. Any ideas where I can get one sent over at a reasonable price? Or even swap a red for a blue!?!

hi gecko, i read that same review, and was abit taken aback that they said the i3 doesn't have any trim pockets.
i can assure everyone that if you look you will find them in the usual place...

expert reviewers indeed:no:

Mike, thx for your review! It contributed to my decision in buying the Pro QD i3. I've yet to use it (no dive trips planned yet), but hope to use it soon.

I'm glad to see some divers venturing into the i3, it's a wonderful BC that makes diving easy, fun and safe all in one...

MG

I'm glad to see some divers venturing into the i3, it's a wonderful BC that makes diving easy, fun and safe all in one...

MG

Unlike all other BCs that are actually packed with horseshoes instead of air bladders? :D

Sorry, stronger then me.:lotsalove:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom