SeaQuest Pro QD i3 evaluation...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can anyone tell me if you can set the ProQD i3 up for twin tanks?

Supposedly, yes you can. Aqualung lists a twin-tank adaptor for it, and the manual mentions that the adaptor supports a maximum of double steel HP100's.

I have always been curious what exactly it looks like with doubles mounted, since I have never actually seen this adaptor.

I did attach a single tank adapter so I can use twin cambands and it fit fine-----the plastic backplate has the standard 11" bolt hole spacing. So if you have a set of twins, you can just attach them direct I would think.

In the manual they mention something about a twin adapter kit but never seen anything, tried looking it up and zero----guessing they don't make it anymore.

the only non real issue i have seen comes in with a drysuit. with a standard inflator hose you reach up with your left hand and dump air and your drysuit valve dumps well like this but reaching down to the i3 control the drysuit valve doesnt work as well but you can just grab the manual dump valve on the bcd at the neck.

Supposedly, yes you can. Aqualung lists a twin-tank adaptor for it, and the manual mentions that the adaptor supports a maximum of double steel HP100's.

I have always been curious what exactly it looks like with doubles mounted, since I have never actually seen this adaptor.
Yes there is a kit, It consists of a molded plastic piece which attaches to your BCD backplate. You then thread your existing tank band through together with a new one supplied. and attach your tanks with the tank straps in the normal way.

I sent mine back for the following reason.

The whole thing attaches to your BCD back plate with one 5/16" screw. I didn't like the idea of the weight of twin 10 steelies hanging on one screw, holding a plastic adapter piece to a plastic back plate. I know the plastic is probably very strong and rugged it's just my thoughts.

for that reason i would have a real good look at the kit, before buying it.
If you plan to swap between singles and doubles on a regular basis the threading and unthreading of tank bands is tedious.

I bought the adapter about 9 months ago, from Aquanaut Australia.

I am sure I got a picture of it off the net but can't remember where. i will put my thinking cap on and if I can find it I will post a pic or link

regards and

Live long and dive well.

ploppytheslopper
in the land of Oz.

Ploppytheslopper in the land of Oz.

I have had a pro qdi3 for nearly 3 years. A great BCD (The only one I have ever owned, started diving late in life)

I did have a problem a couple months after buying it, The lower rear dump valve stuck on open, which rendered the inflate/deflate function useless.

On inspection I determined that the nylon push rod that operates the valve had slipped from it's seating. the seating is a hole about 1mm deep in a nylon spring loaded block in the valve housing. Not only had it slipped from the seating it had jammed under the block, holding it open. I feel that had it not jammed under the nylon block that the spring loading would have closed the valve allowing oral inflation and manual deflation via the oral inflator.

A failure of this kind could lead to major problems at deeper depths particularly if you are negatively bouyant. (In oz we pronounce it boy-ant)

To this end I always, ALWAYS.....carry an oceanic zippered PSD, It can be used as a safety and bouyancy aid at the surface as well as in a rescue situations. It is inflated and deflated via a mouthpiece similar to the oral inflator on the Pro qdi3. and in a critical situation could be used in a freewater ascent to control bouyancy.

I had the BCD looked at by the supplier, who deemed it to be okay, no probs.

But it's my life not theirs.

Live long and dive well

ploppytheslopper

I love this BC. But I've been only using it for 4 months now. I love how it releases air very easy in any position.

I love this BC. But I've been only using it for 4 months now. I love how it releases air very easy in any position.

Yup - the best thing about the i3 is the deflator. I have a buddy who never connects a supply hose to her i3 inflator - she only uses the inflator on the connected Airsource 2. But she loves the deflator!

It should be noted that you can always manually vent via the shoulder dump if you want, and the "normal" and/or jet dump too if you have an Airsource/Air2/Alt-air installed.

I bought the QD i3 2 years ago but just opened and used it in the past week. It's a brilliant BC that's really easy to use. My top fav features are naturally the i3, integrated weight system, & the quick release clips.

Probably the only minor gripe I'd have is too many clips to undo when un-donning the BC, but that's just a very minor gripe.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd probably still buy this BC.

Nice review. I have the pro QD i3 and love it and have also found sceptics regarding the lack of dangling inflator hose. GeckoDiver, the dry weight is 8 lbs and the octo pocket is ticked under the right wing

I broke the top part of the left torso clip (the round rotating one) after very few dives, on the first dive yesterday. Thankfully (a) the DM boat captain lent me his, and (b) the shop have given me a brand new QD+i3 as a warranty replacement.

Be very careful with those clips, they are nowhere near as robust as the 'standard' clips on other BCDs.

I have 150+ dives on a non-i3 Pro-QD, which has the same clips. I didn't go easy on them, they still feel solid. Typically undid the right one to don, and the left one to doff.
--
When I bought mine I gave the i3 a lot of thought, as my LDS has a pretty sweet deal on it at the time. In the end I opted for the regular Pro-QD. I did some training dives with buddies using an i3 BCD. The only issue I've come across with the i3 (or similar systems) is during a rescue ascent. Some scenarios will be very hard if not impossible, and at the very least force you to think on how to do things differently. This would definitely be something to address during a buddy briefing.

I do find the lever more intuitive to use than the button arrangement Mares uses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom