SeaQuest Pro QD i3 evaluation...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To my opinion thereś nothing wrong with exploring new ways to make the user interface more intuitive and easier for new and experienced users. However I personally have no problems with using the corrugated hose. And the corrugated hose gives you a third breathing option in an emergency (although itś really a last resort); when you press the inflate button and the exhaust button at the same time you can breathe from the mouth piece.
Another thing is that I use single and double tank wings and backplates so I want to stay familiar with the hose.
But I understand that this is not an issue for you.
As you might know the corrugated hose is shorter and held in position by a rubber ring at the left D-ring position on most harness/back plate/wing sets. It works really well in my opinion.
I try to dump from the valve at the bottom of my wing and keep a good horizontal position all the time. The seaquest system also facilitates that, which is a good thing.

Anyway, I hope you will enjoy many safe dives and a have a lot of fun with your new jacket.
Greetings from Holland

Ronald.

I have this BC as well, and I love it.
The rentals I used in the past were of varying quality, and most forced me horizontal in the water to some degree while dumping... Usually a minor inconvenience, but in caves it could be slightly problematic.
It is not something a person can't learn to live with, but I figured why should I have too?

The i3 tech seamlessly dumps from any angle without adjusting my bodies position.

If I had to do it over again, I would still buy this BC, the neutral buoyancy is very easy to find and easy to keep.

I need to replace my old BCD and had been looking at this BCD as a replacement but for some reason held back. I just realized why. There is no room to place a Dive Alert inline on the inflator hose...of course you could add a separate hose...but that's a bit silly!

So, to me, this is a big negative in the design and potential safety rating for this BCD.

My Girlfriend and I both bought this BCD at LIDS after using rental BCD's all over the world. She mentions that for comfort it cannot be rivaled due the soft bikini like design (designed by women for women). I also find mine incredibly comfortable and on our last trip to Sipidan we lent our BCD's to DM's and Instructors both who gave it positive reviews with regards to comfort and control of adding or expelling air. I love the fact that no matter what my position in the water and we all know that divers could rewrite the Karma Diver for positions this BCD expels air without any issues. However, what I love about it is that the lever allow you to add the most minute amount of air that can be tricky with some "conventional" BCD's. In addition, I wear a 5 mm full so at depth I become negative quite quickly when the neoprene compresses but with this BCD I find neutral with complete ease. The reason that this BCD got great write ups is because simply it's a great BCD for recreational divers. For all of you that are thinking of buying one but are apprehensive due to its unorthodox design always remember: "Creativity is thinking up new things, Innovation is doing new things"

I just bought a seaquest pro qd with i3. How long of a low pressure inflator hose do I need? Or is there one made for this BC?

I just bought a seaquest pro qd with i3. How long of a low pressure inflator hose do I need? Or is there one made for this BC?

It comes with a longer hose, your LDS should have it.

I love this BC really makes boyancy control really easy, i am a pretty new diver.

I've been using this BC for years after ditching my old USDivers unit and playing around with a BP/W, and I think it's a great BC for a recreational diver.

One of the best things about it, as mentioned several times, is the i3 "elevator" inflator/deflator. Actually, what's best about that is the DEflate function - a friend who has this BC never even hooks up the inflator hose (she prefers the standard inflator button on her AirSource 2), but still uses the lever to deflate, because it vents no matter what position you're in. And the vent valves are pretty good about keeping water out - not perfect, but pretty good.

While the air bladder wraps around, it does not "squeeze" when inflated, but rather tends to open outward. I have no problems maintaining buoyancy and position in the water with this BC and find it easier than any units I've used before, once you have your trim weights adjusted properly.

I have an AirSource 2 for my backup reg, so I use the OctoPocket as a perfect place to store a flexible folding snorkel.

One annoyance that I fixed: I modded mine to add a crotch strap to keep the BC from creeping up around my shoulders when inverted, as I do sometimes for photography. This is not a problem particular to this BC, but I found it very easy to add a standard crotch strap using Dive Rite's 2" strap kit, although I had to get a longer stainless bolt at the local marine supply to attach it to the "backplate".

I've done several other minor mods; this is a great BC for customizing just the way you want to use it.

At first I used the mounting grommets on the left pocket to mount my knife, as designed. However, I did not like the knife there and felt it created too much of an entanglement hazard, so I moved it down to the waist belt where it tucks away nicely.

One "problem" that's not really the BC's fault: it will spoil you. I am so used to the i3 lever, my hand just naturally goes right to it when I need to inflate/deflate... even if I happen to be borrowing or renting a standard BC. Oh no, it's not there! :shocked2:

The only other gripe I have has to do with the flexible chest strap. The side that adjusts does not seem to grip the flexible strap well and slips, becoming loose as soon as it gets wet. The only way I can keep mine tight is to adjust it, then take the extra length and tie it up in a knot, which keeps the adjustment from slipping. Not bad, but seems like they could have figured out a non-slip adjustor.

One other thing I did with mine too, if you want two tank straps to keep the tank from moving around as much-----you can attach a single tank adapter using the holes in the plastic backplate. For me, I like it a lot more this way esp with the bigger hp 120 or 130 I sometimes use since it stays more stable.

I've been using this BC for years after ditching my old USDivers unit and playing around with a BP/W, and I think it's a great BC for a recreational diver.

One of the best things about it, as mentioned several times, is the i3 "elevator" inflator/deflator. Actually, what's best about that is the DEflate function - a friend who has this BC never even hooks up the inflator hose (she prefers the standard inflator button on her AirSource 2), but still uses the lever to deflate, because it vents no matter what position you're in. And the vent valves are pretty good about keeping water out - not perfect, but pretty good.

While the air bladder wraps around, it does not "squeeze" when inflated, but rather tends to open outward. I have no problems maintaining buoyancy and position in the water with this BC and find it easier than any units I've used before, once you have your trim weights adjusted properly.

I have an AirSource 2 for my backup reg, so I use the OctoPocket as a perfect place to store a flexible folding snorkel.

One annoyance that I fixed: I modded mine to add a crotch strap to keep the BC from creeping up around my shoulders when inverted, as I do sometimes for photography. This is not a problem particular to this BC, but I found it very easy to add a standard crotch strap using Dive Rite's 2" strap kit, although I had to get a longer stainless bolt at the local marine supply to attach it to the "backplate".

I've done several other minor mods; this is a great BC for customizing just the way you want to use it.

At first I used the mounting grommets on the left pocket to mount my knife, as designed. However, I did not like the knife there and felt it created too much of an entanglement hazard, so I moved it down to the waist belt where it tucks away nicely.

One "problem" that's not really the BC's fault: it will spoil you. I am so used to the i3 lever, my hand just naturally goes right to it when I need to inflate/deflate... even if I happen to be borrowing or renting a standard BC. Oh no, it's not there! :shocked2:

The only other gripe I have has to do with the flexible chest strap. The side that adjusts does not seem to grip the flexible strap well and slips, becoming loose as soon as it gets wet. The only way I can keep mine tight is to adjust it, then take the extra length and tie it up in a knot, which keeps the adjustment from slipping. Not bad, but seems like they could have figured out a non-slip adjustor.

After using the i3 system for around a year, I have to agree it works great-----honestly after using it a while, your hand naturally always goes right down to the lever and no hunting around for your inflator or struggling to get the air out of your bc---- but I do wish it was available in something lighter and more streamlined. The Pro QD itself is well built but very bulky and big.

Anybody know if Aqua Lung or Apex is planning to use the i3 system anytime soon in either a back inflate bc or even in a bp/w system?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom