Search for four missing Divers off coast of North Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@danpass. I would like to hear what more knowledgeable people think about taking a vacuum packed ACR PLB to depth. I have an ACR View in a 300' rated dive canister, and an Inreach Mini, also in a dive rated housing. Perhaps there is some trustworthy and validated research on the subject of vacuum bags instead of canisters, and perhaps we have all been wasting money on expensive dive canisters--but I doubt it.

@danpass. I would like to hear what more knowledgeable people think about taking a vacuum packed ACR PLB to depth. I have an ACR View in a 300' rated dive canister, and an Inreach Mini, also in a dive rated housing. Perhaps there is some trustworthy and validated research on the subject of vacuum bags instead of canisters, and perhaps we have all been wasting money on expensive dive canisters--but I doubt it.
Could the pressure activate any buttons on the device?

Could the pressure activate any buttons on the device?
My plb is same except no display cheaper version, I keep on me while open water windsurfing. It is in a hard drybox with clear cover. This same plb for diving in a deeper rated waterproof housing still considering for scuba.

I shim the plb inside the housing with bubble wrap. One area inside of the housing, where the Test Button on the plan is, I void of any of the bubble wrap. The rescue button is under a cover cap that is held in place after folding the flexible antenna around the plb. Either button can use up the battery, but you don't want a false rescue transmission. Aside from dead battery eventually and cost, you may need the plb and too bad.

Vacuum way, I imagine it could press any uncovered buttons, so be aware of that. A cover made custom and secured on a vacuum bag maybe. One thing I think I heard someone say on this forum, is the vacuum plastic bag is cut open at the surface and maybe discarded or nicely in a panic mode put in a bc pocket?

I'm here...( my boat runs out of Cape Fear river....) story I get is as follows...keep in mind, I have NOT gotten it from any of the horses mouths...

Lucky guys...I hope every one of them stopped at the first quikstop and bought lottery tickets.
waste of time they have used up all their good luck getting rescued 😁

You may be on to something. The story kind of contradicts itself. How were they reported for "not resurfacing" if nobody was with them to report it?
I should be embarrassed to tell this story but here goes. YEARS ago I used to take my boat out to the Wilkes-Barre and dive alone, leaving the boat anchored to the wreck. I'd call my wife and tell her that if I don't call her back by a certain time to send help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom