Searching for Diver Darren Fox...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as the one student i'm not sure who your refering too.. But as an instructor I can bet I know the whole story.. Instructors can not be held to the actions of former students after training. Rebreather training has the same levels, if a student goes beyond those levels without seeking proper training then the diver is at fault

personally you can keep your little sly hints at robert to yourself, i dont think there are too many people here that are qualified to carry the mans fins let alone comment on his dive habits. first of all he was not a recreational diver he was a commercial diver, and he accepted that risk. roberts dive tables were nothing like wat we use and my guess is he was trying to rewrite his tables based on the rebreather. secondly if you have never been down there hunting money fish then you have no idea how far a person is willing to go to catch it. decos are the norm and missing decos or hopping on the boat switching tanks and jumping back in to do a deco is common place. surfacing in the dead of night on an empty tank and a long swim to the boat is just as common. so do me a favor, before you attempt to speak on robert, and how he did things, know something about what your talking about.

Rewriting tables on a rebreather doesnt work its a programmed system. What is claimed to be common is poor dive planning. After 25 years of diving I would never call it common. Like I said nobody can hold anyone responsible for a divers actions. I require all divers to show me proof of training if they can't provide the information then the dives never go past their certification level..Its sad to lose any diver no matter what the reason..

here let me say it again for you ITS NOT RECREATIONAL DIVING!!!!! as for rewriting tables let me tell you something, how do you think those tables came into being? do you know why they are some times called theoretical dive tables? the key word being "theoretical" do you have any idea how many times the tables, we as recreational divers have been rewritten? do you have any idea how many people were bent getting to todays dive tables? Robert was not a "passive diver" long before he got his rebreather he was doing some dives we would all consider crazy and he would just laugh, cause he knew a lot more about what "he" was doing then we did. and yes he had been to the chamber more than once.tHAT DOES NOT EQUATE TO POOR PLANING as we all know a person can stay with in the recreational dive limits and still come up bent. so wow you got 25 years of diving, i seriously doubt if you took your 25 years of diving and multiplied those dives by 2 you would not even come to half the amount of dive robert did in the last five years. who are you to say someone cant write their own dive tables? If they work for them then they work. and like i said, long before he got that rebreather robert was on his own page when it came to dive tables. he never asked anyone to understand it nor did he care to explain it. but never the less on 90% of his dives before the r.b he did not get bent. Robert pushed it to the limit every time he hit the water. God rest his soul, on his last dive something went wrong.what it was we will never know as robert didnt use a computer(least not on that dive) as for your 25 years of diving.....good for you im sure for the diving "you" do the recreational dive planer is perfect for you. When I have students in the water or when im leading a recreational dive I adhere to padi standards. when im hunting money fish I push the tables to the brink. call it what you want to, but everybody has limitations its good that yours have a clear defined line, stick to the passive diving and you should be fine.

LOL I love rookies I am a commercial search and recovery dive instructor along with being an Instructor in several technical and recreational areas .. And so you know all rebreathers have dive computers hard wired to the unit.. I am also the only full time rebreather diver on the island so maybe I know more than you think ... Like I stated show me proof of a certification some can and some cant and just so you know I would have called in a chopper for evac. but poor dive planning the fishing boat had no clue what to do. Dont get me wrong he wasnt a bad guy just reckless but to try and put it on the shoulders of an instructor that my have trained him is useless like I said you cant blame an instructor for what a student does after training ... The bell should go off in your head when dive boats would not allow him on a charter.. As the old saying goes there are bold divers and old divers but there are no old bold divers ... Good luck on your personal debate losing a close friend is hard but the truth is only the truth be honest to yourself ... I don't assist any reckless divers here sorry but its my rules.

you know it took me a minute to figure out your little game. then I went back to look a the private messages i had in my box. and there it was the one from you asking me about where to do your dmc. and what dive op you should try to hook up with. oh brother. dude please stop it.

Last edited:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Clearing up a few misconceptions...

1) Ocean Legends offers training all the way through Trimix Instructor on it's website: Technical Dive in Oahu ? Ocean Legends Hawaii

Based on that, I would have to say they are indeed a "tech shop" if they can offer tech instruction.

2) Saying the CCR is safer to dive than OC is highly debatable. I've yet to see any OC gear that comes with a warning label that says "Warning: This device can render user unconscious without warning."

3) All rebreathers certainly do not come hard wired with dive computers. If you'd like an example of one such unit, look at my avatar.

and finally...

All the speculation and sniping back and forth really has no place in this thread.

If ya'll wish to continue discussing these finer points of CCR diving, tech training, accidents, or deco planning, please use the appropriate forums for those discussions.

I hate looking at a thread after all the good stuff has been taken out...

Back
Top Bottom