Seasickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look to the horizon and get out on the water as much as possible. It will diminish or go away all together

Pushing on the P6 pressure point on your forearm/wrist is great to relieve seasickness in a pinch.

1671312864976.png

Also try to avoid diving if you notice the weather is bad before boarding the boat.

Well here goes nothin.. I get seasick, have within a 10-15 minute boat ride, have lasted an hour or so but I get sick. Habit has become, one Gravol, good for a double dive. been doing that for years,,,, BUT!! about to do 6 days, liveaboard, Red Sea, Egypt. I have 12 hour Gravol, going to do one every 8 hours, doctor said it shouldn't kill meo_O. THOUGHTS?????

doctormike submitted a new resource:

Seasickness - If you are a boat diver, you likely have had this problem. Here is some advice on management.

Read more about this resource...
All good advice, thank you.

Having spent many many years as a seafarer I can support the fact anyone can get seasick, I still do.

The one thing that works for me is looking at the horizon, preferably with some land in the view. The dive boat can be bouncing about, especially during the "between dives" segment, and as long as I can focus on the horizon, my stomach calms and and I start to relax.

HTH

Just got back from a dive vacation in the Dominican, as usual, over the past 5 years, I take my one gravol pill and I'm good for the day, Second last day of diving I forgot the pill and the water was rough. I didn't even remember about the pill till I had got back in the boat after the dive. It was almost instantly after I remembered that I started to get the feeling. I keep it under control though, yes concentrating on the horizon and relaxing, I managed to at least control it. I am hoping I am finally getting over it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220303-185230.png
    Screenshot_20220303-185230.png
    462.4 KB · Views: 52
Just got back from a dive vacation in the Dominican, as usual, over the past 5 years, I take my one gravol pill and I'm good for the day, Second last day of diving I forgot the pill and the water was rough. I didn't even remember about the pill till I had got back in the boat after the dive. It was almost instantly after I remembered that I started to get the feeling. I keep it under control though, yes concentrating on the horizon and relaxing, I managed to at least control it. I am hoping I am finally getting over it.
Where is Dominican? Is that the Dominican Republic?

For non-Canadians, Gravol is just Dramamine (Diminhydrinate), which doesn't work for all of us. Some prefer Bonine (Meclizine), although many choose which based on the dosing requirements, i.e. once a day for Bonine, but every 4-6 hours for Dramimine.

when i started diving i simply chummed, rinsed my mouth with seawater and went on. even mild surge would make me seriously motion sick and i would remain sick for hours once back on solid ground. Then transdermal scopolamine patches came on the market and were near miraculous in curing my motion sickness, before diving with them i wore one while travelling in Central America on a windy road for 3 hours facing backward in a pickup. on arrival at our destination i was hungry for ice cream. Ondansetron works great for nausea not associated with motion/vertigo, but it works not at all for me to prevent seasickness. (Randomized Controlled Trial Aviat Space Environ Med. 2007 Jul;78(7):686-92. High dose ondansetron for reducing motion sickness in highly susceptible subjects. The investigators conclude ondansetron is ineffective) in years of use, i have not experienced anything more than slight dry mouth-that may not be true for every user. BUT, the patch does need to be placed as noted earlier at least the night before the dive.

when i started diving i simply chummed, rinsed my mouth with seawater and went on. even mild surge would make me seriously motion sick and i would remain sick for hours once back on solid ground. Then transdermal scopolamine patches came on the market and were near miraculous in curing my motion sickness, before diving with them i wore one while travelling in Central America on a windy road for 3 hours facing backward in a pickup. on arrival at our destination i was hungry for ice cream. Ondansetron works great for nausea not associated with motion/vertigo, but it works not at all for me to prevent seasickness. (Randomized Controlled Trial Aviat Space Environ Med. 2007 Jul;78(7):686-92. High dose ondansetron for reducing motion sickness in highly susceptible subjects. The investigators conclude ondansetron is ineffective) in years of use, i have not experienced anything more than slight dry mouth-that may not be true for every user. BUT, the patch does need to be placed as noted earlier at least the night before the dive.

Bayer makes an oral variant trademarked as “Qwells”. Easier to control the dosage, but unfortunately not available in the US/Canada. The good news is it is OTC in England, the EU, and Australia

It’s my go-to

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom