Seasickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where is Dominican? Is that the Dominican Republic?

For non-Canadians, Gravol is just Dramamine (Diminhydrinate), which doesn't work for all of us. Some prefer Bonine (Meclizine), although many choose which based on the dosing requirements, i.e. once a day for Bonine, but every 4-6 hours for Dramimine.
sorry, yes Dominican republic, Sosua to be exact.

Thank you for the ressources! I'm looking at going on my first liveaboard, this is very helpful.

Scopolamine has saved my life. Put on the night before, eat something light in the morning on the way to the boat. Absolutely zero issues regardless how rough it gets. I can use the head, I can eat... doesn't matter. On the days that I might feel a little uneasy, it's maybe ~ 5% but I can usually get that to go away just walking to the back.

I used to get so sick I wasn't sure if diving was for me (from boats anyway).

Can order from ebay without a prescription for fairly cheap.

@doctormike, great article!
@doctormike great article although i just realised random side fact - i watched a documentary recently and it was all about how Scopolamine is used in colombia as a sort of date rape drug that turns victims into zombies who will withdrawl all their cash from atm at thier abusers will without opposition. is this the same drug?

@doctormike great article although i just realised random side fact - i watched a documentary recently and it was all about how Scopolamine is used in colombia as a sort of date rape drug that turns victims into zombies who will withdrawl all their cash from atm at thier abusers will without opposition. is this the same drug?

A quick visit to Wikipedia confirms it's the "same" Scopolamine. Unsurprisingly, lots of things induce different effects on humans, depending on dosage.

Yup, Scopolamine is an anticholinergic drug, and does have sedative properties. Like most drugs, effects vary with dosage and even "benign" over the counter drugs can be fatal if enough is taken.

So when used appropriately (especially as a patch), it shouldn't put you to sleep!

The trick is you don't ever take drinks from hookers in Columbia... or so I've read:wink:

On a serious note I had an acquaintance that just went on a cruise and his doctor proscribed him the patch. He used as directed, I think he used 2 or 3 patches over the course of a 7 day ride. He said he felt great the whole time, then he got home and removed the patch. He said when it finally wore off he had the worst case of nausea he's ever had in his life. Lasted like 2-3 days. Not sure if he had a adverse reaction or maybe the body gets used to using the patch and needs to be weaned off? I am not a doctor so I have no idea.

Luckily I got all his patches before he threw them out. I only ever have a patch on for about 14-16 hours. Put on the night before and it ends up falling off in my hood during the 1st dive. Word to the wise though, be careful if using for extended period I guess?

Also should mention my last ride out was very "sporty". I used the patch like always, but it's the worst I've ever been out while using the patch. I never got sick, I never felt like I was going to. My brain was fine, it was my body that acted funny. I got the sweats a little bit and that dry feeling like you're going to be sick. It was like my brain was fine but my body was getting nauseous. I still ate lunch while out, but I was really excited to touch land.

I have been fine for years on the boat without seasickness, but then... one time I got so sick after inhaling some diesel. Now I get sick almost every time on the boat especially after it stops moving and just floating. WTH... is seasickness something can be "developed"?

Excellent. Well-worth reading, if only for this quote:
"Dramamine Non Drowsy Naturals. This is Dramamine’s version of ginger. Also known as “non-effective Dramamine”. The advantage is that you will be brutally sick and fully awake."
The best description of non-drowsy Dramamine I've ever read.

Is Kwells similar to any of the tablets in the article?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom