Seaskin trilam drysuit purchase simulation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's highly personal, but If I would order it I would buy

B1 Nova Option-Main Body Dry Zip Cover £14.28
C6 Nova Option-3mm Neoprene Neck Seal £6.13
C9 Nova Option-HD Latex Wrist Seals £4.08
C17 Nova Option - Kubi Fitted Dry Cuff System £125.00
D1 Dry Suit Option - Old-style High Profile Apeks Dump Valve £7.42
E1 Nova Option-Compressed Neoprene Socks
E2 Aqualung Rock Boots EVO 4 £118.99 (I would buy other rock boots, but just any pair of boots)
F2 Nova Option-Fully Telescopic Torso £34.20
F3 Nova Option-Increase Braces width to 40mm £8.00
F1 Dry Suit Option - Kevlar Knee Pads £18.38
F4 Nova Option-PU Crutch Reinforcement £5.09
G4 Dry Suit Option - Pocket for Nova, Large Bellows £27.60
G5 Dry Suit Option - Second Pocket for Nova, Large Bellows £27.60

from a boat for example, I would probably go with attached boots, If you do shore dives where your boots could get damaged by oysters etc I'd go with 3mm neoprene socks attached so you can buy a sturdy overboot.

Zipperwise alot of drysuit repair guys swear by the old copper zippers, but they are maintenance heavy and bulky. I think the time of the brass zipper will slowly phase out. The plastic zippers are alot more user friendly imo. I dive Brass atm but think my next suit will be with a pvc zipper

The neoprene neck seal is something alot of people seem to like for comfort, but there's also a substantial amount of people who claim to get leaks often from them, so Latex might be the safest choice.

The Kubi is system is completely optional, but I like dry gloves for the comfort in winter.

The gentleman above me suggested to take the pee valve option, but if you don't plan to do dives longer than 1 and a half hours honestly I feel that the pee valve is unnecessary, it all depends on your bladder control and the type of diving you do ofcourse. (The more inclined you are to doing long stage/multistage dives it might even be a necessity)

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time of reviewing everything
I can see that apart from some differences in fact you chose also many of the same accessories

According to my calculation, JohnnyC suggested accessorier for about 418,13 pounds + 500 pounds basic drysuit + shipping = about 950 pounds total

Then Joris VD 397,77 pounds + 500 pounds + shipping = 930 pounds

In both cases it would about 1.100 euros, which is anyway the price of a new drysuit of other brands, though the comparison should be made adding the same accessories to the other suit

Some of your suggestions might be replaced by other solutions, possibly cheap second hand. For example buying 3 mm neoprene socks I could buy second hand overboots. Pockets could be added (perhaps) using addiotional accessories to be bought separately or using the BCD pockets instead. While some other accessories must be bought together with the suit

It’s all very personal. Latex vs neoprene vs ring systems with silicon seals is one of those things that causes endless debate, but ultimately is a personal choice. I find pockets to be immensely useful, others may have no need.

Some things I wouldn’t budge on is zipper protection and socks instead of attached boots. Replacing damaged zippers are expensive, and I’ve yet to see a pair of attached boots that don’t leak eventually.

hough the comparison should be made adding the same accessories to the other suit

Thats where the trick comes in, comparing apples to apples. I shopped around for about a year and could not find a similarly equipped suit for less than double the price. I bought my Seaskin expecting it to be a good first suit to get used to while I figure out what suit I should eventually settle on. 50 dives later I know that if i killed it tomorrow, I would be buying another to replace it.

FWIW, I bought mine with

Warm neck
Sitech neck seals
Sitech oval cuffs and silicon seals
Trigon p-valve
All the reinforcement options except the back pad
Computer retainers on both arms
medium pockets on outside thigh
Neoprene socks
Wide braces
Telescoping torso

The only option I wish I had added in hindsight is the trilobite cutting tool sheath on the forearm, a buddy got one on his and it is a lovely solution for a second cutter.

Does it make sense not to add pockets to the drysuit and to add afterwards a leg pocket instead? Perhaps it's better it could be used only if necessary and also removed and put on a wetsuit in other dives

I guess you could but detachable pockets usually use a elastic band and those wear out. They may also restrict the movement of air in your suit.

I wouldn’t easily buy a drysuit without pockets. Adding things to suits afterwards can also be problematic. It’s better to let the manufacturers do that, it’s what they are good at after all.

I have a question concerning dry gloves. What are the alternatives and which consequences do they have on the drysuit to choose and especially the type of sleeves? I think that the thermic protection of the hands can indeed make the difference so dry gloves and drysuit sleeves are not just like other accessories. Perhaps it could be worth it to spend some money on it compared to other less important accessories

If you plan using drygloves, get a system.
Kubi should be great. Sitech oval rings are also good and versatile. You can use the oval rings with silicone wrist seals, attach drygloves directly or you can choose from several dryglove ring systems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom