SeaSquatch - The Legend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ghostdiver1957

Contributor
Reaction score
You've probably all heard of Sasquatch... the Half-man / half ape walking around in the jungles somewhere... but did you know there was a SeaSquatch?

My friends and I came up with this awesome idea. Lets take a couple of new divers out to the quarry and tell them about the legend of Seasquatch - A Gorilla looking sea creature that inhabits underwater caves... moving at night from site to site across the country.

We rented a Gorilla suit big enough to fit a diver - complete with BCD a 30 CF pony Bottle and a FFM inside the suit and headed up to the quarry. We waited until a large number of people had gathered and started telling the story. We also advised that just recently someone had sworn they saw the creature here.

There just happens to be a small cut in the rock facing of the quarry at about 30 feet down that is big enough to fit the person dressed as SeaSquatch in. After telling the story and getting the typical "yeah right" responses, we all started dressing and going down to the water. My buddies had dove the quarry many times and told a couple of newbies they were welcomed to tag along if they wanted to see the school bus and the big boat on the bottom. They eagerly agreed. Once they all got in the water, I donned my gear and my Gorilla suit and headed down to the water. The few remaining at the surface were shaking their heads and laughing because they now knew what we were up to.

I swam down to the spot and waited... peeping out every now and then. I removed my fins and just as I stuck my fins into a crevice, I see my buddy peeping his head into the hole. I signal him OK and he signals for the other divers to have a look inside. The first guy pops his head in and I stick mine out... he had to have crapped his drawers.... as he backed up and grabbed my buddy for dear life... pointing and making all kinds of motions.... My buddy looked in and looked back at him and shrugged his shoulders as if he'd seen nothing.... so the other guy looks in and gets a big gorilla hand in his face... he goes backwards kicking toward the surface.... I come out and start chasing him... and the other guy panics and shoots toward the surface... My two buddies got both of them before they got very far (which was the plan - no need to risk injury) and we all surfaced together... what a hoot.... At first they were so embarrassed to get taken like that... then they got angry... then by the end of the day they were each laughing at each other hystarically talking about "you should have seen the look on your face." All's well that ends well...

While it was fun... you may not want to try it at home... you might give someone a heart attack.

I had a similar experience about 35 years ago. I worked during the summer at a Boy Scout camp in the Catskill Mountains of New York. We had a tiny reservoir for water sports, and we started a rumor about a sea monster in the lake. We played it up with daily reports and then told the campers we were going to do an investigation around sunset one night. I was in a rowboat out on the lake, and we had some of the skeptics out in rowboats as well. Under my boat was a staff member in scuba gear. When it got dark enough that they could not see him, I would maneuver near another boat and he would leave me to give that boat a good shake.

It worked pretty well, and we got some good laughs before our final confession of the hoax.

Back
Top Bottom