Seattle Diver Checking In

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El_Flamingo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone, I've used this forum for information for years but never made an account.

Some things I'm interested in these days:

1. Dive sites and diving news in the greater Seattle/PNW area

2. Purchasing a new camera. Currently using a GoPro Hero 7 Black setup with a tray and video lights and trying to decide if i want to do a compact like a TG6 or bump up to a mirrorless.

3. Using this unique time and ability to work remotely to travel and become an instructor (currently a PADI DM).

Cheers

I just moved out of Seattle (UW grad student, did not feel like paying Seattle rent for my second year). There's an excellent, enthusiastic, year-round community of divers in the area.

I didn't get to do as much diving as I wanted in Seattle, but I did approximately three dives at Redondo and absolutely everything else at the Edmonds Underwater Park because it's the most beautiful cold water biome I've ever seen.

If you have any interest in GUE (and I know, I know, hot topic on this site), take Fundamentals and then get plugged into the local community. They're super-active divers and super-friendly people.

I just moved out of Seattle (UW grad student, did not feel like paying Seattle rent for my second year). There's an excellent, enthusiastic, year-round community of divers in the area.

I didn't get to do as much diving as I wanted in Seattle, but I did approximately three dives at Redondo and absolutely everything else at the Edmonds Underwater Park because it's the most beautiful cold water biome I've ever seen.

If you have any interest in GUE (and I know, I know, hot topic on this site), take Fundamentals and then get plugged into the local community. They're super-active divers and super-friendly people.

Nice, I just finished a grad program at UW in June, I've been here for about 2 years now. I'm actually going to Redondo tonight to try and see one of those mythical six-gills I keep hearing about.

I have heard about GUE but haven't done too much research, I'll look into it some more. Thanks.

Nice, I just finished a grad program at UW in June, I've been here for about 2 years now. I'm actually going to Redondo tonight to try and see one of those mythical six-gills I keep hearing about.

I have heard about GUE but haven't done too much research, I'll look into it some more. Thanks.
When do you plan to dive Redondo? I was planning to dive it this weekend. There have been six gill sightings most every day this month. If you need a buddy I am very familiar with the site.

@El_Flamingo

Welcome to Seattle!

You might be interested in the Dive Planning for the Puget Sound that can be found in the link in my signature of my dive documents and attached, including links to nwdiveclub.com, info about dive clubs like Marker Buoy and PNW, and other dive shop links.

Eight (Home Page) is an awesome GUE/NAUI shop, providing the best instruction of any shop in the area (I'm a stickler to teaching neutrally buoyant and trim). Seattle has a very large GUE community and if the system works for you, you'll really enjoy it. Super friendly and helpful people. I'll second the recommendation for fundies (GUE Fundamentals). It is by far the best recreational skills course I've taken by a long, long, looooooong shot. I took fundies with Alex Adolfi. I've hired Kees Leverenz after the class for some tips. I haven't worked with the newest fundies instructor, James Fraser, but I plan on it. I haven't worked with Guy Shockey, but I hope to as well. I have a rec pass, and am thinking about putting my doubles back together and work on a tec pass.

I hope this helps you find a few people to dive. I don't know when I'll return to the water as I've eliminated all unnecessary contact/risk due to have elderly parents and hoping to go to Europe next month (my ticket is my EU passport).

Good luck! Next two months are my favorite time to dive as the weather is stable, not too cold, and not too hot for dry suit diving. Great viz too!

Attachments

• Dive Planning for Open Water StudentsV2_01.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 68
@davehicks I'm actually going tonight with a couple friends but I appreciate the offer - I may take you up on that in the future. Any tips on the best place/method to see a shark down there?

@wetb4igetinthewater Thanks for posting that document, I'll definitely utilize it while expanding my range of dive sites around here. Seems like GUE fundamentals is being recommended by a couple people here so I'll look into that as well. I hope you have a safe and fun trip to Europe!

Enter the water via the steps next to the long pier. Descend at the end of the pier. Follow the guide rope down to about 80 feet. There are some tire reefs, boats, and other objects down there. Spend some time down at 80 for a while for the best chances to see one. Don't be fooled by the DogFish (3 foot long sharks) that are pretty common right now. The SixGill will be unmistakable if you see one.

Awesome thanks! I've only dove that site once before and wasn't sure of the best place/depth to hang out at. Any chance of a GPO around there?

Awesome thanks! I've only dove that site once before and wasn't sure of the best place/depth to hang out at. Any chance of a GPO around there?
Yes. There are a number of boats. Now I haven't been there in a while, so I'd rely more on a more recent trip report. I can't remember how long it has been since I was there and saw one. I haven't been diving there pre-Covid19 all that much due to traffic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom