Second OW dive after class, with pictures (dive computer BROKE)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SNorman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
OK! Second Open Water dive since getting certified. Went to Alki Beach again. This time, we picked up a surface float/flag to bring with us. We didn't have one last time, but there was a scuba class out there already with a float/flag. We also brought a camera.

This time, I remembered to set a heading on my compass striaght out from shore, and we followed that to about 20 feet. There we found a rock to anchor the buoy and kept going to 60 feet depth. There, we all checked air and found that one of my buddies was at 1000 psi. I don't know what the heck happened. My other buddy and I were both around 2000 psi. And that's funny because I'm 6' 5" 190 and she is a little asian girl about 5' 120.

Needless to say, we headed back up. Navigating with the compass, we came back right to the spot where we anchored the line. This was hard to do because there was quite a current going on. This was the strongest current I've dived in so far. We swam into the current the entire time and never got upstream. We just did a straight line down and back. It took a big effort to actually swim into the current and get somewhere.

OH YEAH: On the way back up, I looked at my dive computer to get the depth, looked back up, then glanced back down to get my psi left and all the information on the screen was GONE except for this: "ERR". Stayed that way until we got back to the dive shop, and they confirmed it went tits up.

Anyway, here are some pictures we snapped:

The three of us before the dive (I'm in the middle)
Us.jpg

At the bottom holding the line... (hadn't done this before)
SwimmingWithFloat.jpg

Swimming away somewhere
SwimmingAway.jpg

Some crabs
Crab.jpg

Crab2.jpg

Looking straight up at about 20' under
LookingUp.jpg

Some Anemonies
Anemonie.jpg

KimAndAnemonies.jpg

These are either oranges, or tennis balls, or something (hmm maybe a marine id class would be a good idea!)
OrangeThings.jpg

Line going up to a permanent buoy.
BuoyLine.jpg

And our anchored line appears before us on the way back!!! YES!!!
FoundLine.jpg

In the grass on the way up, the slope is so shallow it's like a safety stop. Lots of little critters to see if you look close.
InTheGrass.jpg

Some more of dive buddies
JohnAndKim.jpg

Dive flag fell off the post :( I'm going to have to figure out how to set it up properly.
FallenFlag.jpg

Nice report and picture, looks like pretty goo vis too.

Yes, visibility was amazing! Well, for Puget Sound anyway I guess.

That "orange or tennis balls" are nothing more that a closed up sea anenome. It's probably the same orange anenome that you took a picture of earlier. I see my anemone in my tank do this all the time when it's either irritated or it's eating.

Nice pictures BTW.

Minh

Nice report! One of your group in the yellow snorkel looks like she/he has bubbles coming out of the first stage. Is it the 1000 psi of your buddy who has the poor air consumption? Too bad about your computer...

Someone else has also informed me that those balls are anemonies... haha I can see it now.

TheRedHead - Now that you mention the bubbles, I'm looking closer at some of my other pictures too. I think *both* of my buddies had yellow snorkels, the girl with the blue fins was ok, the guy was low on air. It's hard to tell. The current was pretty strong, and we were always facing into it, so I think our bubbles drifted right back behind our heads so maybe it looks like a leak. But, if that happened that might explain why he got low on air so quickly.

Nice report nice area for OW dives. My OW dives had a vis of 20 feet before the class stirred up the bottom.

Where is Alki Beach....not sure where you're from. What is WA short for...Washington?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom