Second Stage Free Flow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Too bad they already screwed it up. What likely has happened is that the second stage was set at a sensitive level and after the seat has broken in it would not seal. The fix is very simple - just adjust the screw in the second stage. There shoild have been a valid reason for them to overhaul the first stage. If the Ip was locking properly they should not have touched it. :(

Like CaveMD said, you're most likely being fed a line of BS by your LDS......Bet they try to charge you for all these "supposed" problems...And as far as 'returning' used parts....YEAH RIGHT !!!!....Old parts can come from any where....Find another LDS !!!!!!....Better yet take the time to learn self-maintanence....It's easier than most people realize........The reaction I get from people when I show them how easy it is. 1) That's not complicated at all !!!! and 2) Wish I'd learn this sooner.......Then they try to borrow my tools/gauges :O !!!!!...But that's not going to happen ;P !!!!

Yeah thanks guys. I was sure already that I was being fed BS, but was worried that them pulling apart the 1st stage, with the intent to put the kit through, then putting it back together again may have been an issue.

Can anyone comment on the filter being different? I'd love to do the HOG reg course, but yet to see one offered down under yet :)

Cheers

the different filter was most likely a kit with a filter for a yoke in it (a batch came in that way and it was only when the pile was half gone I noticed, my shipping guy did not at all...)

I suspect the comments on it just needing tuning are correct. The rest...well I disagree with your LDS.
PM me your address and I will send you a couple new kits.

Yeah thanks guys. I was sure already that I was being fed BS, but was worried that them pulling apart the 1st stage, with the intent to put the kit through, then putting it back together again may have been an issue.

Can anyone comment on the filter being different? I'd love to do the HOG reg course, but yet to see one offered down under yet :)

Cheers

OzGriffo, "
HP seat causing IP creep" is bull****!

You need to get an IP gauge and check it yourself or ask to see it checked at the LDS.

Mine is still rock solid after 18 months and 300 dives!

More likely the 2nd stage just needs a tiny tweak - take the hose off, press the purge slightly to avoid cutting the seat internally and using an allen key inside the 2nd stage where you removed the hose just turn to the right a VERY small amount - 1/4 turn is way to much - reassemble a try it and you should find its heaps better.

Thanks for this tip.
My HOG second stages have also work flawlessly for close to 100 dives now.
I have a question which is off topic.
When the HOG regs are not in use I've read that one should turn the "cracking pressure" knob all the way out, counterclockwise, to reduce the pressure on the HP seat. Does this make sense?

I also agree that the 2nd stage just need to be tuned. One of my HOG 2nd stage was about a year old, bought from Jim Lapenta. He always run thorough test before shipping out the reg. My works flawlessly for about 75 dives

I recently bought 2 more HOG 2nd stages, both needed some tuning, it partialy maybe because my first stage is Mk25. But Mike in DRIS and Chris have been very helpful. Mike walked me through steps to diagnose and tuning. I couldn't ask for better service.

Tuning the crack pressure all the way out when not using the reg seems to be common recommendation for all 2nd stages, not just for HOG. The reason blue steel discribed make sense to me.

Yes well the reg set developed three, yes three leaks during a pool dive. Great reg techs that shop is not.

3 leaks, holy crap that takes effort.

Yes well.. turns out they didn't tighten any of the hoses. And now it's breathing wet, which it NEVER did before.
/me wants to cry

I hate not knowing how to fix something. I learnt how to fix cars the hard way, not so game later in life with regs. I must have turned soft :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom