Second stage quick disconnect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

absolutecountry

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Would like to purchase a quick disconnect hose and male adapter for my personal reg set to also be used with the oceanreef II. I want to be able to simply disconnect my usuall second stage and plug into the oceanreef without changing hoses. I found a set at diverite, but it says it's only good to 20' or less

"2nd Stage Quick Connection Adapter - Supplied by OmniSwivel International, The regulator quick connection adapter fitting attaches to the standard 9/16-inch threads found on most second stages and the other end has a standard BC inflator male QD post. This tool allows a diver to plug a second stage into rebreather manual addition hose to allow access to the onboard gas supply. Typically the adapter would be used to gain access to the onboard oxygen but could be used for shallow access to diluent as well. The 2nd Stage Quick Connection Adapter will not supply adequate gas if the diver is deeper than 20 feet."

any ideas? links?

Thanks for the link! I did find the oceanreef site, but can't find any real info about using set on a regular second stage.

Would like to purchase a quick disconnect hose and male adapter for my personal reg set to also be used with the oceanreef II. I want to be able to simply disconnect my usuall second stage and plug into the oceanreef without changing hoses. I found a set at diverite, but it says it's only good to 20' or less

"2nd Stage Quick Connection Adapter - Supplied by OmniSwivel International, The regulator quick connection adapter fitting attaches to the standard 9/16-inch threads found on most second stages and the other end has a standard BC inflator male QD post. This tool allows a diver to plug a second stage into rebreather manual addition hose to allow access to the onboard gas supply. Typically the adapter would be used to gain access to the onboard oxygen but could be used for shallow access to diluent as well. The 2nd Stage Quick Connection Adapter will not supply adequate gas if the diver is deeper than 20 feet."

any ideas? links?

I wouldn't recommend a quick disconnect on any primary system, especially one that has no positive locking mechanism such as the Ocean Reef. This is life support, do you really want to trust you life to quick disconnect on your primary gas supply? To say nothing of the restriction to the gas flow, especially at depth. Use a wrench, it'll take you three minutes.

I wouldn't recommend a quick disconnect on any primary system, especially one that has no positive locking mechanism such as the Ocean Reef. This is life support, do you really want to trust you life to quick disconnect on your primary gas supply? To say nothing of the restriction to the gas flow, especially at depth. Use a wrench, it'll take you three minutes.

You are incorrect about the restriction of gas flow when using QD's from M&J. The primary reason to use QD's is versatility when using onboard and off board gas or changing.

M&J products are of the highest quality and due to this, other companies... including China has tried to knock of their products. It is the knock offs that may have the issue. I'm proud to say that I have no problem with M&J products and use many of them. Including a QD (it has a lock on it).

Best Regards,

Dwain

Hi Dwain,

I'm in no way questioning the quality of Joe's products. He's probably one of the best machinists I've ever met and he makes great stuff, especially his gas switch block. The discussion here is the use of a QD fitting on your primary second stage in a public safety diving application, not for off board gas connections to rebreathers or similar requirements. Joe's QD at least has a rotating locking collar, using it to his gas switch block for your redundant gas supply is an appropriate place, but, I will always recommend that the primary gas supply be on threaded connections.

The QD in question, however, has only a snap lock collar, unless you go to their "commercial" QD, as if to imply that recreational divers don't require the margin of safety that a rotating locking collar provides. Still, stacking adapters inline to your primary gas supply, the added restriction of the gas, especially when you go to depth and the added points of possible failure are not something that I'd recommend for any diving, let alone PSD work.

Hummm.....

Everyone in the commercial world uses QD's on their bail-out whip to make sitting as the stand-by or doning the hat eaisier. Is the bail-out whip not a "life support" dvice/line?

Check Amron International, Diver Supply, AquaTech or Mar-Vel and ask for a bail-out whip with a quick disconnect. You will need to know the length of hose you need because they come in standard sizes.

Amron International, Inc.
Divers Supply, Inc.
Mar-vel Prime Vendor Military Tactical Special Operations Safety and Diving Equipment
San Diego Scuba Diving - Divers Gear Equipment Southern California - Dive San Diego

Yep, and they're using Hansen fittings, not something only slightly larger than a bcd inflator. Would you recommend QD's on both your primary and your bailout?

Why would I need one on each? Doesn't make any sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom