Second stage swivel adaptor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1011ster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Quick question,
does Mares offer any kind of swivel adaptors for a v42 proton metal reg? I've seen some dive buddies of mine have them (different brand regs, but what do they know!) and they sure do look and feel very comfortable.Has anyone used another brand on your Mares? Will that void the warranty?
Thanks in advance!
1011ster

Thanks Jumbo for your reply. Please explain though what do you mean. Does that mean that Mares does offer such a gadget for their regs or that some other manufacturer's swivel head fits the Mares regs. My worry is not to damage my reg, not to spend the money on something that does not fit my reg's threads, or to void my reg's warranty. I don't know if Phil and Zack are reading this and can help me!
Thanks again
1011ster:lotsalove:

1011ster:
Thanks Jumbo for your reply. Please explain though what do you mean. Does that mean that Mares does offer such a gadget for their regs or that some other manufacturer's swivel head fits the Mares regs. My worry is not to damage my reg, not to spend the money on something that does not fit my reg's threads, or to void my reg's warranty. I don't know if Phil and Zack are reading this and can help me!
Thanks again
1011ster:lotsalove:

Mares does not offer a swivel comparable to what Apeks and Atomic Aquatics use on their regulators. With the exception of a few regulators, low pressure hoses and this type of swivel with fit most second stages.

Personally, I have found that aftermarket swivels are often of substantially lower quality than what Apeks and Atomic use on their regs. Keep a close eye on the small screw that holds many of the aftermarket swivels together. You might even take a permanent marker and make two small reference dots to visually check that the screw has not loosened over time. Having the swivel come apart while diving could ruin your day.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

1011ster,

Greg is correct in stating that Mares does not make a swivel for our regulators. It is Mares position that have more moving parts will not only effect the performance but also leave open the possibility of failure. IMO it Greg is spot on about aftermarket swivels. It is hard to find a good one.

You will not void the warranty by using a proper fitting swivel. I'd check with your LDS about the best possibilities should you decide you must have one. Honestly, I don't think it's going to make that much of a difference when it comes to diving comfort.

Hope this helps,

Dear all
Once again thanks for your spot-on responses. I guess I should follow the saying "if it works well don't mess with it" (or similar variations of that saying:wink: ). I have a great regulator, and I should leave it alone!

Thanks much!
1011ster

You may find having a swival adaptor can reduce the pulling pressure of your lp hose, some people find it unconfortable. I personally buy a longer hose when I get a new reg, I find it more confortable, you could try that. I used to have a swival adpater for my full face mask, worked great but check the screw.

good luck

Jumbo

Zak OHara:
1011ster,

Greg is correct in stating that Mares does not make a swivel for our regulators. It is Mares position that have more moving parts will not only effect the performance but also leave open the possibility of failure. IMO it Greg is spot on about aftermarket swivels. It is hard to find a good one.

You will not void the warranty by using a proper fitting swivel. I'd check with your LDS about the best possibilities should you decide you must have one. Honestly, I don't think it's going to make that much of a difference when it comes to diving comfort.

Hope this helps,

415862_W.jpg
415862 Swivelling Connector

Zak, I got this form mares distributor in Australia. How does it match with your words that Mares doesnt make such connectors?

Advokat,

It appears this is a Mares part #. I've mentioned the following in previous posts. In the U.S. we don't distribute all products Mares offers world wide. Each market presents it's own needs and demands. I was not aware the swivel is an optional accessory from Mares, as I don't have their entire worldwide catalog available. I am inclined to think this swivel is a part Mares does not "manufacture". Don't quote me on this because I am not sure.

Mares is a firm believer in making excellent breathing regulators while using fewer parts. It was expressed to me by a Mares engineer quite some time ago, that additional parts resulting in airflow deflection, bending, or bouncing can incrementally effect performance. In addition it will add another point of future maintenance and or potential failure. Does the benefit outweigh the negative? Ultimately this is a decision for the end user.

Sorry for the confusion about the part offered in Australia. I hope this clears it up a little.

Best regards,

From everything I have read on this board, other than the captured swivels, they are dangerous and a major failure point.

If it is a sore jaw problem you might want to change out the mouth piece to something custom fit to your mouth like a Sea Cure. Just make sure to cut the ends off enough that someone with a much smaller mouth will not gag on it. I hated my Scubapro regs until I replaced the mouth pieces.

Using a 5 foot hose and routing it around your neck with either an Air 2 type inflater/deflater/regulator or a bungeed back up is another option to lessen the strain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom