Secrets Aura & Sunscape Sabor outcome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can’t say I’m less confused. So rules, if any, aren’t being applied consistently.

Just glad I don’t normally stay in one of these affected accommodations.

“+1 section” they still support the cause as stated by Dave more than once on this issue, I was asked to remove their name from the public listing so I did.

Ugh, I can think of several more big names not on the list but do not want it to evolve into naming names because it shouldn't become a "with us or against us" deal where your name not on the list of supporters means your name must be on the list of opponents. There are many reasons one may wish to not be public in their support.

Ugh, I can think of several more big names not on the list but do not want it to evolve into naming names because it shouldn't become a "with us or against us" deal where your name not on the list of supporters means your name must be on the list of opponents. There are many reasons one may wish to not be public in their support.

EXACTLY! There are some other big names with us - don't make ANY assumptions based on this list. There are NO operators I can name who are supporting this issue with Secrets to be more clear. Obviously the onsite ops are neutral at best.

I can’t say I’m less confused. So rules, if any, aren’t being applied consistently..

None of this affects me directly because I have never stayed at those places. But I could not resist responding to your shock that in Mexico, of all places, the rules are unclear and are not being enforced uniformly.

No offense to Mexico or Mexicans, but clear rules uniformly enforced in a consistent and rational manner is just not a thing in Mexico. In my experience. Of course, sometimes that is one of the charms, but clearly not in this instance.

None of this affects me directly because I have never stayed at those places. But I could not resist responding to your shock that in Mexico, of all places, the rules are unclear and are not being enforced uniformly.

No offense to Mexico or Mexicans, but clear rules uniformly enforced in a consistent and rational manner is just not a thing in Mexico. In my experience. Of course, sometimes that is one of the charms, but clearly not in this instance.

To clarify, I wasn't "shocked". I was just making a statement. I had already made a similar observation in a previous post:

I was at a cave diving presentation earlier this week and the presenter said there is no such thing as logic or reason in that particular part of Mexico (referring to the Yucatan Peninsula). I guess this is yet another example of that.

Just sayin' :wink:

Just an update - we finally received a response from Secrets management.

They have passed the buck and claim that the hotel is no longer managing the pier.

"As of this date, the pier will be managed by the owners representatives through their Asset Manager Mr. Victor Valerio. You can reach him through email at vvalerio@grupoarotesa.com, however, he does not speak English, therefore you can feel free to contact me should you wish to send him a message.

Since the accounting department is shared with asset’s manager office, the same system will be used to get your wristbands and the cost will still be 2usd per wristband.

To make it easier for you, your staff and your customers, please buy your wristbands in advance...."

In other words, they did not budge at all. Guests cannot purchase the wristbands on their own - but they have found someone else to pass the responsibility on to.

The position of the dive operators stands firm and I suspect more will join now that this "final" decision has been made.

If you as a guest are unhappy about this decision, we encourage you to make a formal complaint to the hotel and elsewhere as appropriate.

Just an update - we finally received a response from Secrets management.

They have passed the buck and claim that the hotel is no longer managing the pier.

"As of this date, the pier will be managed by the owners representatives through their Asset Manager Mr. Victor Valerio. You can reach him through email at vvalerio@grupoarotesa.com, however, he does not speak English, therefore you can feel free to contact me should you wish to send him a message.

Since the accounting department is shared with asset’s manager office, the same system will be used to get your wristbands and the cost will still be 2usd per wristband.

To make it easier for you, your staff and your customers, please buy your wristbands in advance...."

In other words, they did not budge at all. Guests cannot purchase the wristbands on their own - but they have found someone else to pass the responsibility on to.

The position of the dive operators stands firm and I suspect more will join now that this "final" decision has been made.

If you as a guest are unhappy about this decision, we encourage you to make a formal complaint to the hotel and elsewhere as appropriate.
The next charge will be a pick up drop off fee for a taxi at the resort. IMO no different if it is a boat or taxi.

The next charge will be a pick up drop off fee for a taxi at the resort. IMO no different if it is a boat or taxi.
I don't think so. For one thing, that's something that would affect all their guests, not just the relative few who dive. For another, they don't have a resident cab company that is in competition with the rest of the taxis on the island.

In fact, during our meeting with Sr. Guzmán, and in a subsequent e-mail, he claimed and insisted that only 8% of their guests are divers. He was very proud of that and also stated that people come to Cozumel just to stay in their resort. He also stated publicly on Facebook as well as in our meeting that "he had no idea there were so many boats picking up divers"

For one thing, that's something that would affect all their guests, not just the relative few who dive.

Is that really true? I thought that cozumel's tourism was almost exclusively either cruise ship people who come and spend part of the day walking around Coz or scuba divers. The former group stays on their cruise ship and while they might pay for a day pass at a resort they certianly aren't staying overnight anywhere.

Apparently I misunderstood the situation.

Last edited:
Just 8%.... Is that all? Shame on the Dive Ops for ever thinking they are part of the traveling customers overall team (sarcasm intended....) Reminds me of the class in college called "How to lie with statistics". 8% of 3000 guests is 240 divers. Ummm, Mr. Guzman, I'd be very proud of that number too & there is NO WAY the house dive op can handle that volume!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom