Secrets Resort Again Charging For Pier Use... BEWARE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And I'm not carrying your **** for you any more either, Mr. I NEED 5 BAGS WORTH OF STUFF!!!
I only have 2 bags (1 spares and 1 dry bag) and a small pelican case. :) I told you, "If I can't carry it, then I shouldn't take it diving with me." I only had to dip into my "spares" 4 times this trip (only once for myself). :) :rofl3:

Cheers -

watch for an email

My take on the pier thing... It's akin to your hotel in NYC charging you (their paying guest) to be picked up by a taxi in front of their hotel. Sure 2 bucks is no big deal, but you're paying for the use of all the property, not all the property "except the pier".

OFFS - Bryanmc57 - did you even read the thread??? IT'S NOT THE $2 !!! :banghead:
Secrets is requiring the dive ops to go to the Secrets office and buy pier bracelets ahead of time EVERY DAY.
Totally unreasonable, not to mention unworkable.

OFFS - Bryanmc57 - did you even read the thread??? IT'S NOT THE $2 !!! :banghead:
Secrets is requiring the dive ops to go to the Secrets office and buy pier bracelets ahead of time EVERY DAY.
Totally unreasonable, not to mention unworkable.

Not sure why you are bugging Bryan about his post.... you say it’s not the $2....got it. Heard that before.

Slice of reality:
There is a business model which seems to be used by this resort. It is along the lines of “if you are going to come here to scalp my business at my expense, I shall make it painful for you”.

No saying this is or isn’t proper, but it’s a reality in many places.

Now if they don’t own the pier, what they are doing is likely illegal....so barking about ethics is irrelevant.

Slice of reality:
There is a business model which seems to be used by this resort. It is along the lines of “if you are going to come here to scalp my business at my expense, I shall make it painful for you”.
It may be a quibbling point, but the resort does not own a dive op or a fishing fleet. No one is "scalping their business" at their expense. It's true, however, that they are free to run their business as they see fit for whatever reasons make sense to them. By the same token, the dive ops are also free to refuse to pick up divers there.

It may be a quibbling point, but the resort does not own a dive op or a fishing fleet. No one is "scalping their business" at their expense. It's true, however, that they are free to run their business as they see fit for whatever reasons make sense to them. By the same token, the dive ops are also free to refuse to pick up divers there.
Absolutely correct. Appears they will lose SB diving business, also their choice

As I have stated repeatedly here on ScubaBoard...COLLECTIVELY divers have a huge voice. Where we choose to spend our dive dollars matters.

Revenue generated by scuba divers is clearly not a priority to this resort. So why would divers even consider doing business with them? My hope is that even if they should decide to change their policy, dive ops would still not go back to "business as usual".

I hope they do well without their divers and they have a good non-diving clientele...

Revenue generated by scuba divers is clearly not a priority to this resort. So why would divers even consider doing business with them?

It would seem to me- and someone please correct me if I'm mistaken, that Secrets in Cozumel is using a strategy that can be summarized to the effect of "We've got a great on-site dive Operation, and if you choose to dive with other dive operators you'll pay extra. AND they make it appear that the money is going directly to those other dive Ops which is of course not the case but it will "seem" that way to ignorant divers who don't read SB and who don't have this explained by the off-site dive op who picks them up at the pier and collects their money.

So if my thinking is correct, divers won't be likely to say "this is a crappy policy by Secrets" they'll be more likely to say "I'll dive with the Secrets on-site Dive Op and save money rather than pay it to those greedy other off site dive operators".

EXACTLY! But @ggunn says they don't have an on-site dive op

Because they go after the boat operator, not the customers

I guess I'd like to hear from an operator just how they can "go after you". The clipboard guy isn't going to stop a boat pulling up and I don't see them stopping a guest from stepping on a boat.

Are they could they get the Federal Police down there to secure the dock?

Can they mail a bill? Can they cause problems with the National park permit issuing folks - which is my guess the biggest fear.

Back
Top Bottom