Seeking advice on Sony RX100 set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greenbeans

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all super helpful Scubaboard members!

I've been mostly happily snapping with a Canon G10 in a Canon Housing, and an Epoque 230DS Auto strobe. It's been a great learning experience, I shoot fully manual and process everything from raw, have even won a contest here and there. However, I've outgrown it and was hoping to put my new-ish Nikon D7000 underwater with me but..

a) I can't afford it yet (housing, necessary lenses, etc) so I hope to build up the system more slowly, starting with lenses..
b) I'm not 100% sure the hassle of a full SLR underwater is something I'm ready for.

With this in mind, and after much research, I am most likely going to go with a better compact system than my current one, with wet lenses and a better housing, and hopefully that will keep me learning and improving until I'm ready for the SLR step.

I've played with the Sony RX100 in stores and read up heaps on it - originally I wanted to go with the new Canon G15 or pick up an S100 or G12 set up... however, the bigger sensor and bright lens of the Sony has me won over, as well as it's size...so I'm pretty sure that's how I'm going.

I know a few people have posted Recsea or Nauticam housing notes and lens options, but not so much on the Ikelite. I am not sure I could afford the Recsea or Nauticam... considering they are twice as much as the Ikelite and I also want to get a wide angle wet lens and a macro wet lens.

Has anyone had experience with the Ikelite and can comment on its functionality?

Specifically, what's the widest set up I can get with the Ikelite? As far as I can tell 110 degrees with the Bluewater WA-110 (Epoque?) is the best I could find but will a wet fisheye set up work? I have been frustrated with not being able to get wide angle shots and I have some awesome 2013 diving plans involving humpback whales in Tonga and diving in Komodo.... I haven't used wet lenses before so I apologize if this is obvious. Macro wet lens seem simpler, just getting whichever ones with a 67mm thread, right?

Also, about strobes. I have, as I said, an Epoque 230DS Auto, which has sometimes been great but sometimes just won't fire... the sensor I think is not that sensitive, I would have to directly tape the fibre optic cord directly to the front of my Canon housing and use high flash output from the G10 (the little velcro adapter you can get to connect to the housing wouldn't always work to fire the strobe). I'm concerned I will have the same issues with the Ikelite RX100. I am not sure I can afford a new strobe, but if I could, what would be the best choice of strobe for this Ikelite housing? I've been using the Epoque in manual.

Ideally I would get the Recsea housing, two new strobes, sell off all the old stuff, get wet lenses galore... but hey. I'm using my savings for diving rather than the gear itself :)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, or anybody's experience with the Ikelite... I know it hasn't been out long! I won't be buying anything for another few months probably so I can make the most informed decision I can.

Thanks so much!!

Attachments

• IMG_0139mod.jpg
    IMG_0139mod.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,069
Hi

I'm considering a similar setup as I'm going on a long trip two months from now. I've found that in between the Ikelite and pricey Nauticam/Recsea housings, there's also a Patima one which seems very attractive.

Please do post what you end up buying and how it turns out :)

Jens

We just got the first Ikelite RX100 housings in yesterday. Good quality, standard Ike "box" a little larger than it's Nauticam counterpart. Full access to all controls with buttons placed exactly were they are on the housing. Without a doubt you will want to add some form of tray and handle system, especially if you are using multiple lights. Like most Ike products good combo of functionality and quality at it's price point. Housings :: Compact Housings :: Ikelite Housing for Sony Cybershot RX 100 -

We just got the first Ikelite RX100 housings in yesterday. Good quality, standard Ike "box" a little larger than it's Nauticam counterpart. Full access to all controls with buttons placed exactly were they are on the housing. Without a doubt you will want to add some form of tray and handle system, especially if you are using multiple lights. Like most Ike products good combo of functionality and quality at it's price point. Housings :: Compact Housings :: Ikelite Housing for Sony Cybershot RX 100 -

Hi mjh, thanks for commenting. I currently have a version of one of your arm and tray set ups:
Trays, Arms & Mounts :: Tray & Arm Packages :: Modular Tray Set 1 -

Would this still work with the ikelite housing?

Also can you comment a bit more on the ikelite's strobe connectivity? What would be a good strobe set up?
Is there a solution for attaching a dive light as a focus light? I'm not sure I can afford a dedicated focus light yet but I am considering it as well.

Thanks for your help!

Jensm:
That Patima could be interesting! I can't find much information on it but at a glance it doesn't look like it supports the rotating dials the way the Recsea does (which I think makes changing settings much easier). I'd be interested in finding out more though if anyone knows about it!

I had, but I'm looking for an alternate solution to my SLR that is a bit cheaper but still good quality and still has the versatility/size of a compact... going mirrorless implies getting lenses, etc... and id I'm doing that why not just go for the whole shebang and put the SLR in the water? I am open to hear different opinions though!! :)

Both the ikelite and nauticam have an M67 thread so choice of lens is identical
The recsea is the only housing that offers affordable options for a fisheye with the fix uwl28m52 lens, to have the same on the other two you need an inon with dome which costs around 950$

Both the ikelite and nauticam have an M67 thread so choice of lens is identical
The recsea is the only housing that offers affordable options for a fisheye with the fix uwl28m52 lens, to have the same on the other two you need an inon with dome which costs around 950$

Hi,

as I'm investigating about RX100 housings and lenses, I read a testimony from a guy (I think he's from Nauticam, and posted pics with RX100 housings in this room ) where he claimed to have used uwl28m52 on nauticam housing with a step-down ring, without vignetting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom