Seeking advise: BALI - Nusa Dua more specifically

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scoufr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Fellow divers!

Me and my lady are off in August to Bali, to Nusa Dua more precisely.

I'm planning to do my PADI rescue, and she is a recently certified OW. And of course, we'll also do plenty fun-diving together.

Can anyone recommend a good centre? I know they are all very good, but still thought I'd ask. In particular since if I spend some time on the course and she's off trying it on herself - I'd want to know my treasure is well taken care of :D

Also other suggestions, advise, and experienced very welcome - it's the first time we're going to Bali.

Thank you!!

R & L

Fellow divers!

Me and my lady are off in August to Bali, to Nusa Dua more precisely.

I'm planning to do my PADI rescue, and she is a recently certified OW. And of course, we'll also do plenty fun-diving together.

Can anyone recommend a good centre? I know they are all very good, but still thought I'd ask. In particular since if I spend some time on the course and she's off trying it on herself - I'd want to know my treasure is well taken care of :D

Also other suggestions, advise, and experienced very welcome - it's the first time we're going to Bali.

Thank you!!

R & L

umh... i'm not an "expert" of bali... only 1 month here.. and another the next agoust before komodo:D:) every time diving focused:D
but... why nusa dua? you are a surfer? do you like crowded place? or you like reading many book in the car during the day trips?:D hours and hours in the car! :shocked2:
i think you can do your rescue in every dive spot in bali.... and i think every dive spot in bali was better than nusa dua.. IMHO:) if you want dive bali... stay onsite.. for tulamben go to tulamben.. for nusa penida go to lembongan... for mejangan go to pemuteran... ecc ecc:) the better option is not waste time in a car!
my two cents:)
fabio

ps:sorry for my english... but i learn it reading forums:depressed::D

Hi Boletus!

Why nusa dua - because this is where our hotel is :)

So, thank you for your answer. Even if the answer to "what's best in Nusa Dua" cannot really be "Why Nusa Dua?" :D:D:D

Terimakasi - and your English is very good! :)

Fabio is correct (and his English is fine), Nusa Dua is not close to any good diving, and driving around Bali can be a real chore. The map is misleading; traffic is roughly equivalent to London's. I have stayed at hotels in Nusa Dua on a few occasions (the Grand Hyatt was a favorite, but was showing its age the last time I stayed there, three or four years ago). They do have the advantages of being close to the airport and close to the nightlife, if those are priorities for you, and some of the swankier hotels are located there. As an alternative, consider the Mimpi resorts in Tulamben and Menjangan, and I recommend the Bali Diving Academy for diving Penida and Lembongan, if you decide to stay down south and you want a safety-conscious dive operator.

I agree with vladimir and boletus73. Bali is a beautiful destination, but if your intent is to dive, then Nusa Dua is not a good destination. You will spend many hours in transit to your diving. Look seriously at staying in Tulamben or Padang Bai. You'll find instructors in both places, and the diving will be steps from your lodging. You can still find accommodations in these places with amenities, pool, massage, etc., if that's important to you. One place I might suggest is Absolute Scuba in Padang Bai to combine hotel, pool, restaurant, bar, instruction, etc. in one place, all 50 meter from the dive boat. Absolute Scuba Bali - Bali Dive Center - Bali Scuba Diving

Nusa dua is the luxury hotels complex where where major International events and conference incl. the only Indonesia WTA tennis tournament held annually (inside a 5 star hotel conference hall).
Many people love Nusa dua due to its lavish style and high security though other people may hate it.
There's few dive spots near Nusa Dua/Benoa which may satisfy new/discovery diver. Most of hotel in Nusa dua certainly can help you to get your course but as others said Nusa Dua is not the best place for taking rescue course.
More serious divers will prefer to stay at the area close to the best dive site such as Tulamben, Padang Bai and Pemuteran - of course if you stay there you will miss few or many thing that most tourist expect from Bali. No night life in Tulamben except night diving, is an example.
But don't worry, there's several excelent dive centers in Sanur, another tourist area around half hour from Nusa Dua. BIDP, Crystal Diver, Bali scuba, Atlantis, Bali Diving Academi are few of them. I believe they can pick you up from Nusa Dua or you can use taxi.
You can join the course while your wife can join day trip to Bali main dive destination, but remember, may consume 3 - 6 hours of her time on the road - can be very tiring - or if not diving, let her shopping around and spend her time at best spa in Indonesia. The later, best to rent a car with driver, starting from USD 40 - you'll pay double if use hotel car.

One place I might suggest is Absolute Scuba in Padang Bai to combine hotel, pool, restaurant, bar, instruction, etc. in one place, all 50 meter from the dive boat. Absolute Scuba Bali - Bali Dive Center - Bali Scuba Diving

Thanks for the recommendation highdesert, it's true, we can certainly arrange everything for these guys, but we aren't as salubrious as their accommodation will be in Nusa Dua. Just clean, quiet rooms with plenty of quality diving on the doorstep and excellent training facilities :D

Hi All, and thank you for the great advise!

I think what I'll / we'll do is to split the time between Nusa Dua and "somewhere else" having listened to you all. The trick is that I have quite a few dives, whereas she's onto her first dives after the course. And, also, she has never been to Indonesia so the idea is to combine relaxation... and sight seeing... and trotting around the markets... AND diving.

From what I've read here now, and looking at the (probably deceptive) maps, it's not too far between Nusa Dua and Sanur though, and I think I've seen that there are quite a few sites accessible from there?

Cheers!
R

Back
Top Bottom