Seeking knowledge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For someone who just 'wants to get into wreck diving' isn't that peerie bit excessive to start with. Why not simply go diving with other divers on some simple wrecks first There are very few shallow wrecks which require advanced skills, they can come with time. I still think that mentoring is a better way to go than a class.
And whilst i'm perfectly capable of finning backwards, a skill that is often flagged as being important I've never needed to do so even in very tight spaces

The OP asked about technical and wreck diving. Therefore, those skills I mentioned would not be excessive. For a new wreck diver just touring the outside of a shipwreck, they still should have decent buoyancy control, knowledge of gas planning and heightened situational awareness to watch out for entanglement hazards and such.

The OP asked about technical and wreck diving. Therefore, those skills I mentioned would not be excessive. For a new wreck diver just touring the outside of a shipwreck, they still should have decent buoyancy control, knowledge of gas planning and heightened situational awareness to watch out for entanglement hazards and such.

I totally agree. I started working on and mastering these things well before taking my first tech class. The classes went much smoother for me than others in the class. They needed to worry about these things and other new skill all at the same time.

While the skills generally mentioned so far are universal and unquestionably valuable, I think I would also start thinking about the path I want to take toward my ultimate goal. Think about where you are going to get your instruction and with whom. Not all agencies/instructors have the same approach, and starting down the wrong path can lead to problems later on. Crossovers can sometimes be problematic, expensive, and wasteful of time.

Your choice of agency/instructor will be based on a blend of what approach makes the most sense to you, what instructor(s) are most available and accessible to you, and what instructors have the instructional style that fits you best. (Some may discount the last, but I think it matters a lot--maybe the most. Halfway through your instruction is not the time to decide that your instructor is a jerk you never want to see again.)

I have no idea what is available in your area, but you may find that you have only a couple decent options. (That is definitely true where I live.)

Getting an idea of that path may help you make some better decisions about how to get started.

This has all been good info. I realize I am a noob to tech and wreck diving and new to current diving practices and welcome all suggestions. I don't have an issue with traveling to take a class if that is best or in taking all of them from my local instructor who seems to be experienced and knowledgeable though he does push the scubapro thing a little much.
I do however insist I go into everything with at least some knowledge beforehand albeit with an open mind in order to maximize the learning potential. I have ordered the Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving and Gary Gentile's book Primary Wreck Diving Guide. I would also like to get Dan MacKay's book, Dress for Success.

While I read and digest that information I will be spending as much time in the water working on my finning techniques and precise buoyancy control. I am going to take a couple more basic classes this summer like nitrox/rescue/drysuit.

Thanks again,
Bob

I don't have an issue with traveling to take a class if that is best
If you are going the full tech route, it will not be "a class." It will be many classes, and many hours of practice spread over a very long time.

Where I live, there is no suitable water for actual tech dives. We have to drive nearly 7 hours for the closest place to get real diving in. Fortunately, we have a pool nearby for practice. It is a factor to consider. If you decide an instructor in Florida is your best bet, you will be ding a whole lot of travel to continue with the same program.

or in taking all of them from my local instructor who seems to be experienced and knowledgeable though he does push the scubapro thing a little much.

Take your time in checking things out. He is likely not your only option.

You can't learn how to play the piano by going to concerts and you can't learn how to dive wrecks by reading about it. At best it will give you some food for thought, no more. Case in point: the DIR fundamentals book has some interesting ideas in it but nothing in that book will make you a (better) wreck diver.

My advice would be to look for a good mentor and go diving.

As for the skills, yeah. I'd say line skills are essential and your basic diving skills should be 2nd nature. Practice practice practice.

R..

You can't learn how to play the piano by going to concerts and you can't learn how to dive wrecks by reading about it. At best it will give you some food for thought, no more. Case in point: the DIR fundamentals book has some interesting ideas in it but nothing in that book will make you a (better) wreck diver.

My advice would be to look for a good mentor and go diving.

If you are going the full tech route, it will not be "a class." It will be many classes, and many hours of practice spread over a very long time.

If you decide an instructor in Florida is your best bet, you will be ding a whole lot of travel to continue with the same program.

Take your time in checking things out. He is likely not your only option.

All very good points.

While it's fine to have a final goal in mind, try not to get too hung up on the end point. Personally, I would forget about anything 'tech' until you've done the more basic skills courses you've mentioned - and then spend time diving and honing the skills you've already learned. Do that whilst diving on shallower non-tech wrecks, find out what it is you enjoy about them - you'll pick up a better idea of wreck layout etc along the way.It may be that you decide you prefer shallow sceic wrecks to deeper, more intact ones - or that the time, effort and expense of the deeper less dived sites is worth it

NEVER impling that an Artificial Reef, though a ship or other craft, is a 'WRECK', two totally different things. And not believing that true cave diving and true WRECK diving have a ton in common, again two totally different beast.

I'm sure someone will inevitable mention GUE-F or UTD Essentials, might as well be me. I feel that my UTD Essentials class really did give me a good foundation for the rest of my diving career, whether I stay where I'm at, go pro, or go technical (or both). It was really nice to dive on the MS Mahi and enter the rear hold, turn a full circle to see what was inside, then make a nice smooth exit through the top while maintaining good trim. Same thing on the swim-through on the YO-257, didn't silt the place up and even saw a few turtles inside.

I definitely have the wreck bug, ever since I did my first dive on the Shallow LCU (granted, all the wrecks/artificial reefs here on Oahu are highly sanitized) and would love to get the training to do "real" wreck diving. With Essentials completed, I feel I can go to any program and have a real chance of succeeding because I already know and practice the bare basics of diving: trim, bouyancy, and propulsion.

Peace,
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom