Seeking opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverG

Reached My 2nd Goal!
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
ok all you Txas divers, what is the best fresh water dive site in Texas in your opinion and why? I've only been to the Blue Lagoon in Huntsville, and Windy Point at Lake Travis.

Thanks,
DiverG

I wish I could tell ya... cause that would mean I had dived them all! Alas, I have only dived at Travis and God help us if that is the best!!! I will defer to the more experienced Texans for this answer...

BubbleSlinger

Hmmmm... I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

IMHO, Spring Lake at Aquarena Center in San Marcos is the best freshwater diving in Texas. The water is clear and a constant ~72° top to bottom all year. There's even a warming hut for changing when it's cold out (air conditioned when it's hot out.) The lake is full of life including lots of different kinds of fish, turtles, snails, diving ducks and cormorants, and even the occasional nutria. The bubbling springs are fun to watch and the plantlife is prolific and varied. (OK it's mostly hydrilla, but lots of other plants are there too if you look.) The downside is you have to take the Scientific Diver Authorization to Dive course before you can dive there, and you have to be working on a project while you're there. It's not the place to go if you like to go deep either- I think 27' is the deepest I've gone. The diving here is equal to the spring diving I've done in Florida (but without the caves or manatees, of course.) (http://www.continuing-ed.swt.edu/aquarena/home.html)

My second choice is Clear Springs Scuba Park in Terrell (CSSP). In the summer it is a lot like Spring Lake with clear water and abundant life, but the water isn't quite as clear nor the life quite as abundant or varied. The lake is "spring fed", but unlike the millions of gallons of flow from the springs at Spring Lake, the CSSP springs only flow enough to counter evaporation- there's no outflow spring run from the lake. With no outflow, the temp varies with depth and season, and in winter the whole lake gets cold and the life pretty much disappears. Max depth is just under 60'. Due to its location near home, it's becoming my most frequent dive site. (http://www.geocities.com/clearspringsscubapark/)

Balmorhea State Park is a neat freshwater dive with lots of fish and turtles. It's pretty far from here and the lake/swimming pool is fairly small and shallow (maybe 30-40'?) but it's clear and warm in the winter. I dived it once ~12 years ago and have fond memories. When I dived there they only allowed divers in the winter when there were no swimmers. Dunno if that's still the case. (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/park/balmorhe/)

Possum Kingdom Lake and Lake Travis are pretty equivalent in my book. Both have very variable temps and vis depending on the season. Both have some life, but not to rival the above locations. The wall diving is kinda cool and you can get deep in either lake if you want to.

Athens Scuba Park and Blue Lagoon are also pretty equivalent to me. Both have reasonably clear water, but I suspect they are so clear because they are so toxic. (Dunno if it's just the pH, added chemicals, or what.) There's hardly any life at all in either. Athens Scuba Park has a lot of sunken junk to dive around and through if you like that kind of thing. I rinse my gear very thoroughly after diving in either. I don't think I got below 25' in either. (http://www.athensscubapark.com/home.htm)

I haven't tried any other freshwater dives because none have seemed to offer anything different from the locales I mentioned above. I'm game to try new places if there's a group going though.

Just my 2¢,

Bill

Bill covered most of the places I have been as well, but a few local buddies and I are wanting to do some more "expedition" diving around Texas Lakes and rivers to discover new spots or find out for ourselves why no one is diving there.

As we hit the new spots, I'll be sure to post good reports.

Might as well put in my 2 cents worth. What I have always heard is that Lake Amistad at Del Rio was considered the clearest LAKE in Texas for diving and that Lake Travis was the second clearest. Having dove both, I would agree with that. Amistad can reach 60+ visability. I have seen it. I have seen upwards of 40+ foot vis at Travis. No, folks, I have not been pulling from the rum bottle at lunch!
Other than that, I agree that Spring Lake in San Marcos is one of the clearest FRESH WATER dives. Never been to Terrell.
Has anyone dove the missle silo at Abilene?

Put me between BilP & Ron

I'm hooked on the springs - dive Aquarena frequently and have enjoyed Balmorhea a couple of times. I'm looking forward to CSSP - but it's Aquarena that's close to home.

Ditto for Lake Travis, none of the other Highland lakes are comparable although I'm tempted to try Buchanon some time, it's comparably large & clear from the surface.

Cheers

My one experience with Canyon Lake was so-so. I was DM'ing a class so I didn't get a real chance to explore. I've heard there are some cool ledges. What I saw was the shallow area around the platforms which had very limited viz and one short glimpse of the edge of a dropoff.

I'll go back if you wanna go!

When I dived there they only allowed divers in the winter when there were no swimmers. Dunno if that's still the case.

Hi all you Texas Divers out there!

For those of you who don't know, divers and swimmers are permitted to co-habitate (in the water, that is) at Balmorhea. It is rather small and shallow (about 20') but I would recommend this site as a great place for newly certified divers (who don't mind the long drive) to practice skills. The water is crystal clear and there are plenty of small fish, catfish and some turtles to make it interesting for new divers. We rented a room at the State Park there and brought our kiddoes. Everyone relaxed an had a great time. There is a dive shop next door to rent tanks and other gear...they are very reasonable. We practiced all our skills and then felt much more confident when we left for Key Largo to dive with the barracudas.

Happy Diving....

PS We are going to Bonaire this August. I am about to burst with excitement! Seeing a photo of a scuba diver in Bonaire is what gave me the passion for diving in the first place. Can't believe I am going to realize this dream!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom