Seems there was another fatal Shark attack........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

widget

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
........along the South African coast yesterday. From reports this was a Great White attack and the body is missing, all that was found was the gentlemans swimming goggles.

Thats three shark attacks in less than a 30 day period along the South African coast line, 2 fatal and one not, but a common thread in all was "poor water visibility".

Theres good reports here.

Shark rips tourist apart: News24: SouthAfrica: News

In just a few minutes I'm getting into my car and heading to work in the morning rush, a far, far more dangerous endeavor than swimming with sharks.
Rick

But people like to sensationalize shark attacks Rick.....people like to have others think that diving with sharks is incredibly dangerous. Some divers do it because they think it makes thm look cool, some do it out of sheer ignorance, the media does it to sell their products.....I have dove with sharks (feet away) and loved it. I would consider conditions carefully AND would listen to warning issued because of the conditions but I would not hesitate to dive with sharks again. GW is the only shark (maybe tiger depending on what was in the water) I would be overly nervous about diving with. But, maybe that is just my psyche spreading the sharks are dangerous propaganda. Who knows.

Safe drive :D

I guess the shark didnt need goggles..

locals know... when the water is murky, you stay out!

Unless you want to become a statistic that is.

I think you need to add Bull Sharks to the list Steve. I've been in the water with hammerheads, white tips, black tips thresher and bulls. The bulls are the ones that worry me the most. I like diving with sharks to watch them but if I know they're around when the viz is in their favor, adios amigo, I'll see ya next time.

Most of us don't dive where Great Whites are a real threat. If I found myself in such a place I could forgo my swim.

Most of us don't dive where Great Whites are a real threat. If I found myself in such a place I could forgo my swim.

Sure, especially when there are warnings that due to prevailing water conditions the sharks could not be spotted.

Once again --- swimmer attacked by shark, NOT a diver.
There is a BIG difference between swimming on top of the water and diving down IN the water. When on top of the water, swimmers and surfers look like seals, the favorite food of most shark species. When down IN the water, divers are scary to sharks. We make too much noise and smell like nasty wetsuits and chemicals. We don't look anything like what they want to eat.

I have been in the water with lots of sharks and they are very shy, skittish, and swim away as fast as possible in most cases. The only times I have had sharks come close are when there has been food introduced in the water (chumming and/or shark feed). Then the sharks are curious and come closer, but are still very warry of the divers.

Let's keep this all in perspective - there are too many people in the world terrified of the ocean because they think sharks are sitting out there waiting to eat them! It just isn't true. Sharks don't want to eat people, they want to eat something yummy and we definitely aren't yummy to them.

Back
Top Bottom