'Segway of the sea'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeekDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What do you all think about this. I think it's a bit cartoonish. Wonder what kind of training and safety will go along with it before people rent them out.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/28/36781.html

"Fans of the Segway scooter now have a way to look just as silly traveling underwater as they do on land thanks to the efforts of an inventive Australian company."

"The fine folks at ScubaDoo World in Queensland have developed a sea scooter capable of reaching a stunning 2.5 knots. The Scuba-Doo gives divers the freedom to sit on a machine and drive the great ocean roads instead of being tied down with flippers, snorkels and other excessive diving gear."

"ScubaDoo says distributors from all over the world are looking to get their hands on the new kit. The first scooters are going to be available this week at AUD$17,500 (US$13,246) each. So, for just twice the price of a Segway, gadget freaks can begin finding Nemo."

So Instead of buying "excessive dive gear" I can plunk down $13,246.00? But it's going to be rough carring that down to the beach!

Isn't there something called a "Bob" that looks just like this thing? I think it's much less expensive also, if I remember correctly.

Stuart Cove's in Nassau has a fleet of vehicles that look pretty much identical to these.

They are tethered to a surface float so there's no way you can change the depth. They seem to be used as introductory rides for non-divers. About $100 for a 30-minute dive.

All the best, James

This looks like a sure way to destroy the reefs. It's not like unexperienced divers don't hurt the reefs, but most of the time they will hurt themselves while hurting the reefs therefore they will try to elevate or move from the reef to stop scratching against it, with BOB it seems like you could go for yards destroying the reef before it ever bothered you.

gfisher4792:
I know there's a thread somewhere on SB a couple of months ago that talked about them, but I couldn't find it.

It got hairy. Started out with a diver wanting to know about possibly reporting these things destroying coral at a VI operator he worked at. Then after legal threats, he apologized. I got a pretty vile PM from someone when I posted.

I'm sure these things can be fun if they're pulled safely, or destructive if pulled thru a reef...

Another link for my "bad ideas" folder!

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom