Self-donning back-zip drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_mc

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok so I know this is probably a good way to break or shorten your zips lifespan but are there any of you who self-don your backzip drysuit?

If so, what is your prefered method of doing this?

The method Tbone mentioned is really the only way to do it without the aid of a buddy. However, you are right...it does shorten the lifespan of the zipper. Most often it wears the adhesive attaching the zipper to the suit. If you solo dive often I would recommend a front zip for your next suit.

I self-don my Fusion. It's not bad actually, start by using the same arm that the zipper is closest to (left arm), push the zipper while pulling the drysuit sleeve down with your opposite arm across the front of your chest (right arm). Once you get the zipper far enough for you to reach, grab the zipper with the other arm (right arm) and simply pull it across your shoulders until it is closed.

All the local divers over here wear back zip neoprene suits, they attach one end of a bungee cord hook to the zip and the other end to their car boot strut and twist into it, seems to work very easily. Of course unless diving solo there is always someone there to help you.

My wife has a short stick with a bolt snap attached to the end and she can quite easily get into and out of her drysuit allllllll by her little self without the use of a car door. In fact, if you try to help, she'll get one of her mean looks, and in a voice that's been known to terrify navy seals, ask "Did I ask for help?"

My wife has a short stick with a bolt snap attached to the end and she can quite easily get into and out of her drysuit allllllll by her little self without the use of a car door. In fact, if you try to help, she'll get one of her mean looks, and in a voice that's been known to terrify navy seals, ask "Did I ask for help?"
I would like to see this. The stick and zipper method, not your wife's mean looks and voice:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom