Self-inflating SMBs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In another thread, someone mentioned having a self-inflating SMB. I found these for sale at a couple of shops outside the U.S.:

https://www.scubadoctor.com.au/dive...d=2750&zenid=4ee45eafc96d60849abf1908bf446086

The product is a larger SMB with a small aluminum cylinder (0.1l, around 1 cf) with a standard DIN or yoke cylinder valve. Details are unclear but the SMB can be inflated from the little cylinder, eliminating the problems with buoyancy control otherwise inherent in the process. Since the cylinder is small and has a standard connector, it can be refilled at a dive shop or from a transfill whip.

Regulatory standards for cylinders differ between the U.S. and Europe so it might not be feasible to bring one of these home from abroad.

Has anyone used these? What are there benefits and drawbacks? Is there a similar product for sale in the U.S.?

Terrified......the dangers it creates are far more grave than then seeming inconvienience of manually inflating.......hopefully they won't ever invent a self inflating BCD....oh?....too late.

Yeah, sounds good in theory, but it just complicates a simple system. Not to mention the cost.

IMO, the best deal you can get on some quality SMB's are found at Piranha Dive Mfg.

Key features are a closed tube with an over pressure release valve. Just exhale into the inflator. It literally takes a few seconds and if you're properly weighted to begin with your buoyancy should not be any more effected than it would when you normally exhale during a dive.

Personally, I use the Hog 45" smb on a small reel stowed in a waist pocket and I keep the semi closed 96" smb attached to my butt d ring. My thought process is 2 is 1 and the 45" would be my primary and the 96" would be my contingent marker if I surfaced to terrible conditions or was lost at sea. The 96" would make it easier for someone to spot me after deploying my PLB.

Take the money saved by not buying the SMB you linked and put it toward a PLB and an inexpensive SMB.

SMB's
http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/category/Surface-Marker-Buoys-SMBs-97

PLB
http://www.hodgesmarine.com/Acr-288...lkid=aWcLKx5sgdlV&ppcsu=xhg7f5djqeniramsegdoh

PLB Canister
https://m.facebook.com/CustomDiversUSA/

Last edited:
That's pretty cool. I wonder how it sits in the water. If someone could make one that actually stands upright with minimal (or no) tension on the line, I'd be all over it. I've got a 7' SMB that takes a lot of tension on the line to keep upright. I wouldn't go much smaller on size due to the water here.

The smaller, 3-5' ones, stand in the water with only a bit of tension, there's a world of difference between those and 7 footers.

That's pretty cool. I wonder how it sits in the water. If someone could make one that actually stands upright with minimal (or no) tension on the line, I'd be all over it. I've got a 7' SMB that takes a lot of tension on the line to keep upright. I wouldn't go much smaller on size due to the water here.

DRiS 6' SMB has a chunk of lead at the bottom. I haven't had a chance to actually use mine in open water so I've no idea how well that works IRL, but it does add a bit to the bulk and weight when it's rolled-up. I'm not entirely sure the trade-off would be worth it, esp. considering how much weight you'd need to keep a 7-footer upright in the rough seas.

They are not that unusual this side of the pond with CCR divers.

With a CCR you don't have a second stage easily to hand unless you deploy one from your bailout, and that's a pain. A second issue is that you are neutral, putting gas into an SMB is going to make you positive (breathing out doesn't make any difference).

You open the valve a fraction and let it go, it will be full on the surface.
The bottle is removable, and connects to your diving cylinder for refilling and has a built in purge button.

To be honest, I've switched back to a small DSMB with a small disposable gas cartridge. Pull the cord and let it go, no change to your buoyancy on the CCR. I also carry a standard DSMB just in case, which can be filled from the regulator on the bailout if push comes to shove.

I've always had my yellow emergency DSMB as a disposable cartridge type. Partly because I've always thought the likelyest Crisis is lack of gase, and the last thing I want to do is waste gas inflating the DSMB, and fidling about filling an DSMB may not be practical. Pull and forget seemed sensible in an emergency.

Gareth

See here

Last edited:

I can't tell for sure, but I don't think they are based in the USA. Looking at the product listing, and the related products (they sell the cylinder separately), it appears to be a Euro spec cylinder -- European regulatory stamps and metric threads. With a closer look at the valve, it looks like the valve has a reverse DIN fitting -- the fitting that is usually on the regulator, not the one that is usually on the cylinder valve. ::shrug:: I guess the design is functional, and eliminates the need for a transfill whip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom