Self-inflating SMBs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few years ago I decided to replace my warn out DSMB with an AP one with a 0.1Lt cylinder.

I do use the DSMB, but no longer bother with the cylinder. It required one hand to hold the cylinder and another to open the valve, then a third to hold the real. Hand on I've only got two hands.

I can't tell for sure, but I don't think they are based in the USA. Looking at the product listing, and the related products (they sell the cylinder separately), it appears to be a Euro spec cylinder -- European regulatory stamps and metric threads. With a closer look at the valve, it looks like the valve has a reverse DIN fitting -- the fitting that is usually on the regulator, not the one that is usually on the cylinder valve. ::shrug:: I guess the design is functional, and eliminates the need for a transfill whip.
Like Garath said Silent Diving is the USA importer for AP. I can't confirm the tank or valve spec, but call Curt at Silent Diving and he will be able to get you the info on the product.

Good luck

If you are concerned with the buoyancy shift, use an open bottom SMB and when you're ready to inflate it, use your BC inflator. Vent your BC into the SMB, Zero buoyancy shift. Works from 20' to 200' (probably deeper, but I've not verified that).

We also carry self-inflating SMB's. Carter manufactures these and they are built very well. One-time use CO2 cartridge..

Can be orally inflated and the cartridge is replaceable after use.

http://www.makospearguns.com/Carter-Spearfishing-Float-p/csf.htm

CSF-2T.jpg

KISS - Keep It Simple (you can fill in the last S)

This looks like an over-engineered version of a simple device. How hard is it to blow into a SMB?

Reminds me of a new diver who buys everything they think might be useful in the dive shop and hangs them from their BCDs...hence a Christmas Tree Diver. Then they discover that less is best and simple is even better.

If you are concerned with the buoyancy shift, use an open bottom SMB and when you're ready to inflate it, use your BC inflator. Vent your BC into the SMB, Zero buoyancy shift. Works from 20' to 200' (probably deeper, but I've not verified that).

We also carry self-inflating SMB's. Carter manufactures these and they are built very well. One-time use CO2 cartridge..

Can be orally inflated and the cartridge is replaceable after use.

http://www.makospearguns.com/Carter-Spearfishing-Float-p/csf.htm

CSF-2T.jpg

That's very similar to what I use now. Red for normal use, yellow for emergency.

Hroark

Not a nice a nice solution on a CCR, especially in a drysuit.

As I say, I can do a normal DSMB if needed but it a faf, so the little gas cartridge version makes like very straight forward.

Gareth

I know the product but I never was temped to use it. mainly because I think that it is an expensive device.

Having said that, I have read in European forums that the people that use them, love them.

I also do not understand why some guys here find it dangerous :wink:

Gareth,

Thanks for the heads up. I would like to see one before buying as it is expensive for a reel. Where I dive using a reel isn't all that common for rec. diving as you're usually on a ledge/patch reef close to an anchored boat. But, I've always had a negative feeling toward finger spools as they appear messy. Perhaps this comes from all of my rod and reel fishing experience. For those reasons, so far I've never used one and instead have elected to use a small enclosed reel, mostly just for practice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom